Ivan Vegvary

Default lathe handwheel rust removal

Rescued my lathe after 2 years inside an unheated shop (northwest USA).
Would like to clean the rust off of the handwheels. I would like to spin
the handwheels in the lathe and use steel wool to polish. BUT, how do I
remove the "grip" from the handwheels. Are they press fit? BTW, the
"grips" are the kind that spin while you turn the wheel.

Thanks for all suggestions,

Ivan Vegvary

Grant Erwin

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Rescued my lathe after 2 years inside an unheated shop (northwest USA).
Would like to clean the rust off of the handwheels. I would like to spin
the handwheels in the lathe and use steel wool to polish. BUT, how do I
remove the "grip" from the handwheels. Are they press fit? BTW, the
"grips" are the kind that spin while you turn the wheel.

Suggest you try Knorrostol, then Blue Magic. If and only if those don't work,
then try mechanically polishing.

Don't know how to remove your handles - if there's no obvious threading, then
they may be pressed in, or they may be brazed in.

GWE

Ken Cutt

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Rescued my lathe after 2 years inside an unheated shop (northwest USA).
Would like to clean the rust off of the handwheels. I would like to spin
the handwheels in the lathe and use steel wool to polish. BUT, how do I
remove the "grip" from the handwheels. Are they press fit? BTW, the
"grips" are the kind that spin while you turn the wheel.

Thanks for all suggestions,

Ivan Vegvary

You might consider a buffing wheel in a Dremel if the rust is not too deep
Ken Cutt
Bob AZ

Ivan

Get a gallon of white vinegar and soak the handwheels in the vinegar.
Check every 24 hours. When all the rust is gone, rinse and polish or
whatever. Keep out of the sun. We have done this many times. Use the
vinegar straight.
Bob AZ