Rich Grise

Default Shuttle Photo

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:55:55 +0200, Waldemar Zwierzchlejski wrote:

Lee napisa(a):
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...m_nasa_203.jpg

Anybody know where we can download a hi-res photo of that?

Cheers

Lee

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...2673_hires.jpg

There's a non-zero probability that that's the coolest photograph I've
ever seen in my whole life.

Thanks!
Rich

Nick Müller

Rich Grise wrote:

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...2673_hires.jpg

There's a non-zero probability that that's the coolest photograph I've
ever seen in my whole life.

Next time, they should replace the camera, because of all the stuck
pixels.

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Herb Schaltegger

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:18:06 -0500, Nick Müller wrote
(in article ):

Rich Grise wrote:

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...2673_hires.jpg

There's a non-zero probability that that's the coolest photograph I've
ever seen in my whole life.

Next time, they should replace the camera, because of all the stuck
pixels.

Nick

They might be hot pixels for a reason - solar or cosmic radiation, for
instance. I'd like to see multiple exposures at the same settings to
see if the same pixels are still fubar'd.

--
"Fame may be fleeting but obscurity is forever." ~Anonymous
"I believe as little as possible and know as much as I can."

Steve W.

"Herb Schaltegger" wrote in
message .com...
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:18:06 -0500, Nick M|ller wrote
(in article ):

Rich Grise wrote:

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...2673_hires.jpg

There's a non-zero probability that that's the coolest photograph

I've
ever seen in my whole life.

Next time, they should replace the camera, because of all the stuck
pixels.

Nick

They might be hot pixels for a reason - solar or cosmic radiation, for
instance. I'd like to see multiple exposures at the same settings to
see if the same pixels are still fubar'd.

Or it could be the dings and pits in the windows due to micrometeors
hitting them since the station was put in orbit.. Take a look at the
pics taken through the shuttle windows and you see a LOT more pits. Just
got the press message from NASA about the new planet they found beyond
Pluto. Guess it's time to make a new solar model...

William Wixon

that IS a pretty awesome photo. thanks for the link. somehow it seems i've
never seen the shuttle that way before, usually it's not so close up, i
don't think i've ever seen it so "lumpy" before. usually it looks much more
sleek and smooth. really looks funny. wrapped in refractory fire bricks.
like they hired a brick mason to assemble a spacecraft. or a ceramicist.

i wish they had photographed the exterior last time it flew. :-(

yay the shuttle flys again! safe trip home!

b.w.

Rich Grise wrote:

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...2673_hires.jpg

There's a non-zero probability that that's the coolest photograph

I've
ever seen in my whole life.

George

Rich Grise wrote:

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...2673_hires.jpg

There's a non-zero probability that that's the coolest photograph

I've
ever seen in my whole life.

Next time, they should replace the camera, because of all the stuck
pixels.

Nick

They might be hot pixels for a reason - solar or cosmic radiation, for
instance. I'd like to see multiple exposures at the same settings to
see if the same pixels are still fubar'd.

Or it could be the dings and pits in the windows due to micrometeors
hitting them since the station was put in orbit.. Take a look at the
pics taken through the shuttle windows and you see a LOT more pits. Just
got the press message from NASA about the new planet they found beyond
Pluto. Guess it's time to make a new solar model...

One way to find out would be to subtract a black image from the image in
question and see if the hot pixels go away. Of course, to do this
correctly, one would need to create the black image from the camera in
question. There is a program that creates black images, but I'm not sure
how reliable it is.

Nick Müller

George wrote:

There is a program that creates black images, but I'm not sure
how reliable it is.

Oh, I guess that "program" is the black plastic disk that is frequently
forgotten to be removed when taking photos.
No, that disk doesn't store any information beside the print
"Pentax/Olympus/Sony/..."

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Ellwe 2FB * VTM 87 * DLM-S3a * cubic
more to come ...
Steve W.

Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

After looking it over really close I noticed trails behind many of the
bright points. Looks like many are cosmic dust flying by since if it was
bad pixels or damaged glass it would remain fixed in position.

Martin H. Eastburn

Rich Grise wrote:

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...2673_hires.jpg

There's a non-zero probability that that's the coolest photograph I've
ever seen in my whole life.

Next time, they should replace the camera, because of all the stuck
pixels.

Nick

They might be hot pixels for a reason - solar or cosmic radiation, for
instance. I'd like to see multiple exposures at the same settings to
see if the same pixels are still fubar'd.

They might even be defects in the CCD. Often the super large ones are that way
and are just used with programs that know the effects. Also - merge overlaps and
shifted pictures that provide data or verify good and sometime/all time flaky.

Mostly good memory is the term. The picture is 3032 x 2008 in size, JPG.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

colin

Rich Grise wrote:

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...2673_hires.jpg

There's a non-zero probability that that's the coolest photograph I've
ever seen in my whole life.

Next time, they should replace the camera, because of all the stuck
pixels.

Nick

They might be hot pixels for a reason - solar or cosmic radiation, for
instance. I'd like to see multiple exposures at the same settings to
see if the same pixels are still fubar'd.

They might even be defects in the CCD. Often the super large ones are

that way
and are just used with programs that know the effects. Also - merge

overlaps and
shifted pictures that provide data or verify good and sometime/all time

flaky.

Mostly good memory is the term. The picture is 3032 x 2008 in size, JPG.

yes thats truly an awesome picture, make the hairs on my neck tingle.

intersting some of the 1 pixel spots are blue or red, but many of them are
white, I gues a defect may affect more than one colour of the pixel at a
time, the tails of the spots are so perfectly vertical they must be cemera
artifact.

Colin =^.^=

Nick Müller

colin wrote:

intersting some of the 1 pixel spots are blue or red, but many of them are
white, I gues a defect may affect more than one colour of the pixel at a
time, the tails of the spots are so perfectly vertical they must be cemera
artifact.

Pixels can either be dead (=black) stuck (=white) or have partial
defects (red/green/blue stuck or dead).
A closer look also shows strictly vertical lines that are
dimmer/brighter than the neighboring pixels. This are defects in the
sensor. Also note, that the spots don't have the slightes halo around
them, which also shows that this are defects in the sensor.

Maybe that the defects are from the radiation in space.

Most people don't know that their digital camera also has defects,
because these are mapped out in the camera's SW before you can see them.
Better cameras have an option to initiate a new pixle defect mapping.

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Ellwe 2FB * VTM 87 * DLM-S3a * cubic
more to come ...

Martin H. Eastburn

That one looks rotated -

Dimension : 2012 x 3032
Prior one : 3032 x 2008

Thanks - Wish I had them on Skylab - long time since I 'played' with it!

Martin

Grady wrote:

Heres another

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...76_ys_full.jpg

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:55:55 +0200, Waldemar Zwierzchlejski wrote:

Lee napisa(a):

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...m_nasa_203.jpg

Anybody know where we can download a hi-res photo of that?

Cheers

Lee

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...2673_hires.jpg

There's a non-zero probability that that's the coolest photograph I've
ever seen in my whole life.

Thanks!
Rich

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Larry Jaques

Grady wrote:

Heres another

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...76_ys_full.jpg

I let Firefox expand that one and scrolled down the left side.
When I got to the bottom, I thought
"MAN, look at the size of those woofers!"
That was fun.

--
Guns don't kill people. Rappers do!
-----------------------------------
Martin H. Eastburn

Grady wrote:

Heres another

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...76_ys_full.jpg

I let Firefox expand that one and scrolled down the left side.
When I got to the bottom, I thought
"MAN, look at the size of those woofers!"
That was fun.

O rings look like the rings around the woofer! - Agree.

Like one on "back to the future" ? Where the kid hits it once and blows him across the room.

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Larry Jaques

clearly wrote:

Heres another

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...76_ys_full.jpg

I let Firefox expand that one and scrolled down the left side.
When I got to the bottom, I thought
"MAN, look at the size of those woofers!"
That was fun.

O rings look like the rings around the woofer! - Agree.

The curved triangular section plus the ring wer the 2 things
visible in the picture as I scrolled down. Very evocative.

Like one on "back to the future" ? Where the kid hits it once and blows him across the room.

Or like the stereo setup the guy (Seth Green) gets in ending of The
Italian Connection? He puts the ladies in front of it and it blows
their clothes right off? I simply MUST get wunna them! Of course,
I'd be perfectly happy settling as the guy who runs off with Charlize
Theron. SCHWING!

--
Guns don't kill people. Rappers do!
-----------------------------------
www.diversify.com Rap-free Website Development
Mike Fields

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:55:55 +0200, Waldemar Zwierzchlejski wrote:

Lee napisa(a):

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...m_nasa_203.jpg

Anybody know where we can download a hi-res photo of that?

Cheers

Lee

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...2673_hires.jpg

There's a non-zero probability that that's the coolest photograph I've
ever seen in my whole life.

Thanks!
Rich

Here is another cool (or maybe "hot" is a better term) one
from a different perspective ...

mikey

George

"Mike Fields" wrote in message

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:55:55 +0200, Waldemar Zwierzchlejski wrote:

Lee napisa(a):

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...m_nasa_203.jpg

Anybody know where we can download a hi-res photo of that?

Cheers

Lee

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...2673_hires.jpg

There's a non-zero probability that that's the coolest photograph I've
ever seen in my whole life.

Thanks!
Rich

Here is another cool (or maybe "hot" is a better term) one
from a different perspective ...

mikey

Now that deserves a little respect!

Carl D. Smith

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 20:56:56 GMT, Rich Grise
wrote:

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:55:55 +0200, Waldemar Zwierzchlejski wrote:

Lee napisa(a):
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...m_nasa_203.jpg

Anybody know where we can download a hi-res photo of that?

Cheers

Lee

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...2673_hires.jpg

There's a non-zero probability that that's the coolest photograph I've
ever seen in my whole life.

Thanks!
Rich

Here's another good one.