Rich

Default Bypassing garage door photo cells

I have a 1/3hp Raynor garage door opener and one of the photo cells no
longer works. I called a Raynor rep in my area and they want $100 for
a new set of photo cells. The door is working fine I just have to
hold down the button in order to get the door to close so I'd like to
save the $100 if possible.

Does anybody know if there is anyway to disable the photo cells? I
tried simply disconnecting the photo cells from the unit but it had no
effect. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rich
Jim Mc Namara

"Rich" wrote in message:

Does anybody know if there is anyway to disable the photo cells? I
tried simply disconnecting the photo cells from the unit but it had no
effect. Any ideas?

I have no small kids (nor pets) so I simply made contact between the leads
going to the sending unit at the photo cell. Prior to that, I had taped the
cells facing each other. When I broke one, I did the re-wire and have had
no problems since.

Jim

ameijers

"Rich" wrote in message
om...
I have a 1/3hp Raynor garage door opener and one of the photo cells no
longer works. I called a Raynor rep in my area and they want $100 for
a new set of photo cells. The door is working fine I just have to
hold down the button in order to get the door to close so I'd like to
save the $100 if possible.

Does anybody know if there is anyway to disable the photo cells? I
tried simply disconnecting the photo cells from the unit but it had no
effect. Any ideas?

Rat Shack probably has a generic that would work. Most areas, code requires
some sort of auto-reverse on power openers. It could be a problem when you
sell, and you'll have to get it repaired in a hurry then.

aem sends...

Nate B

"Rich"

Don't bypass the unit, it's there for a reason! Even if you don't
have children or pets of your own, you never know who's going to pay
you an unexpected visit. Replace the unit with a universal unit:
http://www.new-garage-door-parts.com...e-devices.html

Not sure of the details of his opener, but it's likely these won't work.
These are designed to be retrofitted between an existing switch and an older
opener. Most modern openers, including his, it sounds like from how it's
behaving now, have a separate circuit that needs to be satisfied for normal
operation.

It's very unlikely any aftermarket products will satisfy the circuit. He
would likely be throwing away money.

Most of these sensors send a series of pulses to the main opener, so they
are not trivial to bypass. He could try - it may be as simple as shorting
the circuit as someone else mentioned - but it is unlikely to work if the
opener is less than 10 yrs or so old.

I would either cough up the cash or get a new opener. Actually, I would
bypass it, but I know a little more about electronics than most.

As someone also mentioned, it could be the aiming between sensor heads is a
little off. This is the most likely problem.

- Nate