Karl Townsend

Default OFFER 7.5 HP 3 phase motor, for RPC and the like

Hey Igor,

How is it that the number in your name keeps changing? Curious minds need to
know.

Karl

DoN. Nichols

In article . net,
Karl Townsend remove .NOT to reply wrote:
Hey Igor,

How is it that the number in your name keeps changing? Curious minds need to
know.

Given the range of observed numbers, I think that it is the
process ID (PID) of the newsreader (on a unix system) being appended to
the name. Every time he quits the newsreader and starts it again, he
gets a new number.

Or -- it could be that when he logs into the system, the PID of
his login shell, and it may be appended to an environment variable, so
each login session gets a new name.

What is *not* clear is why he bothered to set this up. :-) If
someone wanted to killfile him, it is easy enough to make the killfile
ignore the actual number present. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Ron Bean

Ignoramus27279 writes:

On 29 Jul 2005 19:56:16 -0400, DoN. Nichols wrote:

What is *not* clear is why he bothered to set this up. :-) If
someone wanted to killfile him, it is easy enough to make the killfile
ignore the actual number present. :-)

I use these numbers so that followups to my posts cannot be looked up
using my posting address as a search term.

I thought you were going to say it was an anti-spam thing-- some
people post using a temporary address that's re-directed to /dev/null
after a couple of days, so people can contact them now but not later.

I hadn't noticed that you don't have a real address up there anyway...

(The address I use here gets so much spam that I no longer worry about
it-- Spambouncer traps most of it anyway. I have another private
address for people who know me.)