DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OFFER 7.5 HP 3 phase motor, for RPC and the like (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/114956-re-offer-7-5-hp-3-phase-motor-rpc-like.html)

Karl Townsend July 28th 05 07:57 PM

OFFER 7.5 HP 3 phase motor, for RPC and the like

Hey Igor,

How is it that the number in your name keeps changing? Curious minds need to
know.

Karl

DoN. Nichols July 30th 05 12:56 AM

In article . net,
Karl Townsend remove .NOT to reply wrote:
Hey Igor,

How is it that the number in your name keeps changing? Curious minds need to
know.

Given the range of observed numbers, I think that it is the
process ID (PID) of the newsreader (on a unix system) being appended to
the name. Every time he quits the newsreader and starts it again, he
gets a new number.

Or -- it could be that when he logs into the system, the PID of
his login shell, and it may be appended to an environment variable, so
each login session gets a new name.

What is *not* clear is why he bothered to set this up. :-) If
someone wanted to killfile him, it is easy enough to make the killfile
ignore the actual number present. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Ron Bean July 30th 05 05:13 AM

Ignoramus27279 writes:

On 29 Jul 2005 19:56:16 -0400, DoN. Nichols wrote:

What is *not* clear is why he bothered to set this up. :-) If
someone wanted to killfile him, it is easy enough to make the killfile
ignore the actual number present. :-)

I use these numbers so that followups to my posts cannot be looked up
using my posting address as a search term.

I thought you were going to say it was an anti-spam thing-- some
people post using a temporary address that's re-directed to /dev/null
after a couple of days, so people can contact them now but not later.

I hadn't noticed that you don't have a real address up there anyway...

(The address I use here gets so much spam that I no longer worry about
it-- Spambouncer traps most of it anyway. I have another private
address for people who know me.)