Dave Hinz

Default Cast aluminum marked "G072"?

OK, so I needed to make a light, large hammer this weekend (maul for the
"High-striker" used at our firemans' picnic). We went through the
thought process of what kind of wood to use that wouldn't split like the
old one had, and finally ended up with aluminum as our material of
choice.

I had a chunk of cast aluminum just about the right size, but the only
marking on it was stamped in, with "G072" (that's a G, clearly stamped
into the casting). It was about 4.5" diameter, rough casting.

It turned _beautifully_, made it into a maul head 4.040" diameter by 7"
long, mounted that to a ring made from 4.040" I.D. pipe with a length of
tubing for a handle. Works great. But:

What the heck does "G072" mean in the context of cast aluminum? I
didn't want to use it for something where it's characteristics were
critical, so this was a perfect use for it. But, have I just wasted a
really nice chunk of something exotic, or does that number mean nothing
to anyone else also? For what it's worth, it turned beautifully and
didn't have any porosities that I found.

....and it makes a hell of a hammer...

Dave Hinz

Bob May

That was probably a part number rather than a alloy number.
Most companies like to have a number so that they can track things,
especially when there are several variations of a particular design.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

Dave Hinz

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:14:34 -0700, Bob May wrote:
That was probably a part number rather than a alloy number.
Most companies like to have a number so that they can track things,
especially when there are several variations of a particular design.

Maybe a stock or catalog number; it wasn't anything resembling a part,
just a rough casting in the shape of a cylinder. The top of the pour
was about 1/2" uneven.

Nice stuff, though. Should take some pics. I've now been asked to make
a smaller/lighter one for the ladies' bell (oh, and a lower bell for the
ladies).

Nick Hull

In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

OK, so I needed to make a light, large hammer this weekend (maul for the
"High-striker" used at our firemans' picnic). We went through the
thought process of what kind of wood to use that wouldn't split like the
old one had,

If you shrink a steel band on a wooden maul it won't split.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Don Foreman

On 11 Jul 2005 15:22:08 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

OK, so I needed to make a light, large hammer this weekend (maul for the
"High-striker" used at our firemans' picnic). We went through the
thought process of what kind of wood to use that wouldn't split like the
old one had, and finally ended up with aluminum as our material of
choice.

I had a chunk of cast aluminum just about the right size, but the only
marking on it was stamped in, with "G072" (that's a G, clearly stamped
into the casting). It was about 4.5" diameter, rough casting.

A google on G072 aluminum turned up a cylinder head for a 229 GM V-6
engine. Wonder if it's part of one of those that someone didn't get
melted down all the way -- or perhaps it was partly melted in a
fire?

Dave Hinz

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 18:49:44 GMT, Nick Hull wrote:
In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

OK, so I needed to make a light, large hammer this weekend (maul for the
"High-striker" used at our firemans' picnic). We went through the
thought process of what kind of wood to use that wouldn't split like the
old one had,

If you shrink a steel band on a wooden maul it won't split.

Well, we thought that too; the old one did go for 50 years, but it
finally gave up in a spectacular manner. We were trying to avoid
splinters, and based on testing, this aluminum deforms and doesn't
fragment at the forces involved.

Besides, it was more fun to make 5 gallons of swarf.

Dave Hinz

Dave Hinz

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 14:03:31 -0500, Don Foreman wrote:
On 11 Jul 2005 15:22:08 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

I had a chunk of cast aluminum just about the right size, but the only
marking on it was stamped in, with "G072" (that's a G, clearly stamped
into the casting). It was about 4.5" diameter, rough casting.

A google on G072 aluminum turned up a cylinder head for a 229 GM V-6
engine.

Yup, that's the only thing I found that was even close-ish.

j Wonder if it's part of one of those that someone didn't get
melted down all the way -- or perhaps it was partly melted in a
fire?

Nope, it's a clean casting. Probably a catalog number. Now a maul.

wws

Don Foreman wrote:
On 11 Jul 2005 15:22:08 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

OK, so I needed to make a light, large hammer this weekend (maul for the
"High-striker" used at our firemans' picnic). We went through the
thought process of what kind of wood to use that wouldn't split like the
old one had, and finally ended up with aluminum as our material of
choice.

I had a chunk of cast aluminum just about the right size, but the only
marking on it was stamped in, with "G072" (that's a G, clearly stamped
into the casting). It was about 4.5" diameter, rough casting.

A google on G072 aluminum turned up a cylinder head for a 229 GM V-6
engine. Wonder if it's part of one of those that someone didn't get
melted down all the way -- or perhaps it was partly melted in a
fire?

Billet!

I'll sneak away 'fore it hits.
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 18:46:30 -0500, wws wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:
On 11 Jul 2005 15:22:08 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

I had a chunk of cast aluminum just about the right size, but the only
marking on it was stamped in, with "G072" (that's a G, clearly stamped
into the casting). It was about 4.5" diameter, rough casting.

Billet!
I'll sneak away 'fore it hits.

You better move quick - some of those farm boys are _awfully_ big. We
calibrated the thing with two of our biggest guys on the fire
department. Between them they can hit it about 8 out of 10 times, which
is about right. The goal is that if someone says it's impossible, we
grab one of 'em, they ding it to show it's possible, and sell the guy
more chances.

For the record, a drunk farmboy can make a hell of a dent in the turf
when he misses with a hammer that size.

RoyJ

Last time I was watching one of those, the drunk farm boys were doing
about 50%. Then up steps this scrawny little Italian guy, about 5'6".
Nailed it 2 out of 3 consisitently. Took his cigar and wandered off.

Don Foreman wrote:

On 11 Jul 2005 15:22:08 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

I had a chunk of cast aluminum just about the right size, but the only
marking on it was stamped in, with "G072" (that's a G, clearly stamped
into the casting). It was about 4.5" diameter, rough casting.

Billet!
I'll sneak away 'fore it hits.

You better move quick - some of those farm boys are _awfully_ big. We
calibrated the thing with two of our biggest guys on the fire
department. Between them they can hit it about 8 out of 10 times, which
is about right. The goal is that if someone says it's impossible, we
grab one of 'em, they ding it to show it's possible, and sell the guy
more chances.

For the record, a drunk farmboy can make a hell of a dent in the turf
when he misses with a hammer that size.

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:06:40 GMT, RoyJ wrote:
Last time I was watching one of those, the drunk farm boys were doing
about 50%. Then up steps this scrawny little Italian guy, about 5'6".
Nailed it 2 out of 3 consisitently. Took his cigar and wandered off.

We've been giving out beer, on the theory that cigars don't impair the
ability to ring the bell.