Don Foreman

On 11 Jul 2005 15:22:08 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

OK, so I needed to make a light, large hammer this weekend (maul for the
"High-striker" used at our firemans' picnic). We went through the
thought process of what kind of wood to use that wouldn't split like the
old one had, and finally ended up with aluminum as our material of
choice.

I had a chunk of cast aluminum just about the right size, but the only
marking on it was stamped in, with "G072" (that's a G, clearly stamped
into the casting). It was about 4.5" diameter, rough casting.

A google on G072 aluminum turned up a cylinder head for a 229 GM V-6
engine. Wonder if it's part of one of those that someone didn't get
melted down all the way -- or perhaps it was partly melted in a
fire?