Don Foreman

Default must be gettin' old

I had some ... uh ... learning experiences today whilst welding 1/4"
aluminum rod to make an "expander cage" for my livewell. Some years
ago I made an oval aluminum ring, covered with vinyl tubing, to which
was sewn a Wal-Mart polyethylene mesh laundry bag -- green to match
the boat. This was so I could keep minnows in the small livewell and
not have to chase the little devils at end of day. Just lift out the
laundry bag to remove all minnows. Missed minnows stink a whole
bunch after a few days!

Some of the gas welds turned out gorgeous, but I learned that there's
no such thing as a "local puddle" in 1/4" rod when gas welding.
SPROING. Oh, golly! I was able to recover with TIG and a jig; not
pretty, but servicable. Lesson learned: use a jig when welding
1/4" al rod so it'll stay put when hot short.

Then I went to grind off the boogers.

Grinder seemed slow. Pressure gage said 40 PSI. The compressor is
down. Oh golly again.

I'm an engineer, I know how to solve problems, right? I got out my
voltmeter and methodically chased thru the power path. Socket's hot,
check. Pull cover off of compressor pressure switch. Motor
terminals hot, check. Pull plate off of motor. Motor terminals
hot. Conclusion: motor **** the bed. Oh well, that motor's a
good 20 years old.

Found a suitable 5HP NEMA 56 frame motor on the HF website. Checked
Grainger to see how much more they want for a Dayton motor. (double)

I noted that the Grainger motor had manual thermal reset.

Manual ......thermal......reset. Kuh - - - - lick. I went back to
my compressor and pushed the little red button. Vroom,
budabudabuda.... Houston we have air! DUH!

It was a hot day today and I'd been doing some gritblasting, didn't
notice that it'd quit running before reaching 175 PSI in the tank.
It's been so long since that thermal switch has tripped that I'd plumb
forgotten it was there.

Warm puppies are good, but there's also a lot to be said for not
needing a new motor after all....

Don Foreman

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 00:58:53 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

I had some ... uh ... learning experiences today whilst welding 1/4"
aluminum rod to make an "expander cage" for my livewell. Some years
ago I made an oval aluminum ring, covered with vinyl tubing, to which
was sewn a Wal-Mart polyethylene mesh laundry bag -- green to match
the boat. This was so I could keep minnows in the small livewell and
not have to chase the little devils at end of day. Just lift out the
laundry bag to remove all minnows. Missed minnows stink a whole
bunch after a few days!

Forgot to mention why the expander cage. The laundry bag develops
folds in the livewell, depriving the bait of swim room they need to
breathe and stay frisky. The expander cage will keep it open to at
least 4 gallon volume.

Robert Swinney

Good move, Don. Thanx for the suggestion to not overlook little red
buttons. And congratulations on being the first person to ever get anything
out of Grainger without having to pay double or triple for it.

Bob Swinney
wrote:

I had some ... uh ... learning experiences today whilst welding 1/4"
aluminum rod to make an "expander cage" for my livewell. Some years
ago I made an oval aluminum ring, covered with vinyl tubing, to which
was sewn a Wal-Mart polyethylene mesh laundry bag -- green to match
the boat. This was so I could keep minnows in the small livewell and
not have to chase the little devils at end of day. Just lift out the
laundry bag to remove all minnows. Missed minnows stink a whole
bunch after a few days!

Forgot to mention why the expander cage. The laundry bag develops
folds in the livewell, depriving the bait of swim room they need to
breathe and stay frisky. The expander cage will keep it open to at
least 4 gallon volume.

jim rozen

In article , Don Foreman says...

I'm an engineer, I know how to solve problems, right?

Honestly that single pair of sentences has preceeded more
humbling experiences for me in the past than I care to
discuss.

They're sorta the moral equivalent of "Hey Bubba, Watch
This!!" for the more cerebral crowd. :^)

Jim

please reply to:

Bugs

I'm an engineer, I know how to solve problems, right?

Honestly that single pair of sentences has preceeded more
humbling experiences for me in the past than I care to
discuss.

The trick is to keep quiet about being an engineer until you've solved
the problem, then casually admit it. Saves a lot of embarassment.
Bugs

BillP

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Don Foreman says...

I'm an engineer, I know how to solve problems, right?

Honestly that single pair of sentences has preceeded more
humbling experiences for me in the past than I care to
discuss.

They're sorta the moral equivalent of "Hey Bubba, Watch
This!!" for the more cerebral crowd. :^)

Jim

ROFLMAO!! Your candor is truely appreciated!!

signed (with guilt) Bill in phx.
Tom Gardner

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Don Foreman
says...

I'm an engineer, I know how to solve problems, right?

Honestly that single pair of sentences has preceeded more
humbling experiences for me in the past than I care to
discuss.

They're sorta the moral equivalent of "Hey Bubba, Watch
This!!" for the more cerebral crowd. :^)

Jim

please reply to:

My favovite is: "You might want to stand back a little, in case this doesn't
work...you DO have insurance, right?"

Gunner

On 10 Jul 2005 14:10:48 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Don Foreman says...

I'm an engineer, I know how to solve problems, right?

Honestly that single pair of sentences has preceeded more
humbling experiences for me in the past than I care to
discuss.

They're sorta the moral equivalent of "Hey Bubba, Watch
This!!" for the more cerebral crowd. :^)

Jim

ROFLMAO!!! Indeed...

Gunner, blushing at memories of his own.
"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown

Tim Wescott

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Don Foreman says...

I'm an engineer, I know how to solve problems, right?

Honestly that single pair of sentences has preceeded more
humbling experiences for me in the past than I care to
discuss.

They're sorta the moral equivalent of "Hey Bubba, Watch
This!!" for the more cerebral crowd. :^)

Jim

I have a joke that I tell technicians and fellow engineers. You stand
there with your volt meter en garde and say "trust me -- I'm an
engineer. I know things". Managers and interns will be confused, but
real engineers will smile and the technicians will laugh.

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Don Foreman

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 02:55:43 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Don, where are you and what time do you want me on the dock?

Lake Minnewaska MN between Starbuck and Glenwood. You wouldn't
need to bring any tackle, plenty of tackle in me little green boat
for guide trips, but you'll need a vaild nonresident fishin'
license. They're not pricy in MN.

I'm no MInnewaska guide thus far, but I've never been skunked on that
lake even in outings of 2 hours or less.

Be on the dock before .... oh, golly ... noon or so, but be on deck
for morning coffee earlier. Morning coffee on the deck is not to
be hurried. The fish will be there when we get around to chasing
them.
Rudy

I have a joke that I tell technicians and fellow engineers.

A civil engineer says the glass is half full.
The mechanical engineer says Its half empty.

The grade 6 student asks why they used a glass that was twice the required
size.

Ken Davey

Rudy wrote:
I have a joke that I tell technicians and fellow engineers.

A civil engineer says the glass is half full.
The mechanical engineer says Its half empty.

The grade 6 student asks why they used a glass that was twice the
required size.

The mechanic grabs the glass, drinks the contents and asks
"Why was this meeting called? I've got work to do."