clare @ snyder.on .ca

Default Source of nickel plating in southern Ontario?

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:15:44 -0400, Helen Scarth
wrote:

I collect antique sewing machines and am in the process of restoring a
couple of them. The rusted slide plates, originally nickel plated,
have been cleaned (Evaporust) but they'd look so much better replated.

Only outfit I could find close to Hamilton, Ontario was a business in
Hespeler who charged $20 per item for a flat 1/8" thick piece of
metal, 1.5" x 3" and had an eight week backlog.

Is this price reasonable? Anyone know of anywhere closer to Hamilton
that might plate these for me at a lower price?

Helen

Cambridge Custom Chrome does some of the nicest show quality chrome
(nickle plate) you can find, but they are NOT cheap, and they are
always busy. The Harley boys and rodders make sure of that.
Find someone who works for Kuntz Electroplating and see if you can get
it put on the line. Or call them and see IF they will do small runs.
I know a fair amount of small stuff gets put through, unofficially.
Brian

Try Canada Chomeplating and Crankshaft, in Toronto, They might do nickle
plating.

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message
Helen Scarth wrote:

I collect antique sewing machines and am in the process of restoring a
couple of them. The rusted slide plates, originally nickel plated,
have been cleaned (Evaporust) but they'd look so much better replated.

Only outfit I could find close to Hamilton, Ontario was a business in
Hespeler who charged $20 per item for a flat 1/8" thick piece of
metal, 1.5" x 3" and had an eight week backlog.

Is this price reasonable? Anyone know of anywhere closer to Hamilton
that might plate these for me at a lower price?

You might consider doing it yourself. Nickle plating solutions, both
electro and electroless are available from
http://www.caswellplating.com/nsindex.htm
For best results, electroclean first
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/_1999_retired_files/E-CLEAN.TXT
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/_1999_retired_files/E-CLEAN2.TXT