Sunworshipper

Default Eroded Aluminum Engine Head

It looks like it wasn't a stuck thermostat on my old Toy. Five places
out of nine coolant galleries on the exhaust side of the head eroded
into the combustion chambers right where the metal rings of the gasket
are.

I know someone that can do O/A on aluminum , maybe get him some
special rod to match the type of aluminum use on this head... Or ,
get someone to weld it. Or, maybe some real good liquid metal stuff.

I'd like it at least past half way ass fixed before I sell it or the
truck is going to end up being a trailer.

I can resurface it on my planer.
DeepDiver

"Sunworshipper" wrote in message
It looks like it wasn't a stuck thermostat on my old Toy. Five places
out of nine coolant galleries on the exhaust side of the head eroded
into the combustion chambers right where the metal rings of the gasket
are.

I know someone that can do O/A on aluminum , maybe get him some
special rod to match the type of aluminum use on this head... Or ,
get someone to weld it. Or, maybe some real good liquid metal stuff.

I'd like it at least past half way ass fixed before I sell it or the
truck is going to end up being a trailer.

I can resurface it on my planer.

"Liquid metal" to seal the combustion chamber? I hope you're joking!

Take your head to a good automobile machine shop and let the pros do their
thing. They will grind out the corrosion, fill in the cavities with solid
welding, and resurface the head properly. It shouldn't cost much, perhaps
around $50-$75. While you're at it, have them check and possibly replace any
bad valve guides, valves, and resurface the valve seats.

I had some corrosion on my aluminum Toyota 22RE head near (but not into) the
chambers. I took it to my trusted machine shop and they did a great job
fixing it up. Sometimes, you need to turn a job over to professionals with
the right tools and the right experience.

- Michael

Leo Lichtman

"DeepDiver" wrote: (clip) I'd like it at least past half way ass fixed
before I sell it or the truck is going to end up being a trailer.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Pardon me for being old-fashioned, but doing some sort of patch job, and
selling the truck without disclosure would be immoral. I wouldn't do it!

DeepDiver

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"DeepDiver" wrote: (clip) I'd like it at least past half way ass fixed
before I sell it or the truck is going to end up being a trailer.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Pardon me for being old-fashioned, but doing some sort of patch job, and
selling the truck without disclosure would be immoral. I wouldn't do it!

Leo, I did not write that, the original poster ("Sunworshipper") did. And I
agree with you.

MM

Cast iron block + aluminum head + depleted (or the wrong type) of coolant =
galvanic corrosion

I'd have a pro fix it if I were you. This is a very common problem these
days, and most engine shops do it all the time.

Mark

"Sunworshipper" wrote in message
It looks like it wasn't a stuck thermostat on my old Toy. Five places
out of nine coolant galleries on the exhaust side of the head eroded
into the combustion chambers right where the metal rings of the gasket
are.

I know someone that can do O/A on aluminum , maybe get him some
special rod to match the type of aluminum use on this head... Or ,
get someone to weld it. Or, maybe some real good liquid metal stuff.

I'd like it at least past half way ass fixed before I sell it or the
truck is going to end up being a trailer.

I can resurface it on my planer.

Leo Lichtman

"DeepDiver" wrote:.....
(clip) I Leo, I did not write that, the original poster ("Sunworshipper")
did. And I agree with you.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sorry, Deepdiver, I'm getting careless again, and thanks for agreeing with
me.

Sunworshipper

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 05:11:52 GMT, "DeepDiver"
wrote:

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"DeepDiver" wrote: (clip) I'd like it at least past half way ass fixed
before I sell it or the truck is going to end up being a trailer.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Pardon me for being old-fashioned, but doing some sort of patch job, and
selling the truck without disclosure would be immoral. I wouldn't do it!

Leo, I did not write that, the original poster ("Sunworshipper") did. And I
agree with you.

Tough crowd. Sure enough this is common practice and thanks. I just
mentioned the liquid metal cause someone local said it might work. It
had never crossed my mind to just try it and sell it. I figured
asking a auto machine shop to weld an aluminum head would just get a
laugh. I've sold a lot of vehicles and no one has called back , keyed
my vehicles, or burned my house down.

I'm one of the last people to intentionally **** someone over. As far
as I know there maybe something that will work great for the
application. Anyhow, I found a place on the first call that will do it
a lot cheaper and weld it , than the other place I looked into a
couple of weeks ago that I got a bad feeling about the business for
just the valve job.

Ya'll should have seen the religious beating I got for buying the new
to me Toy. Guy was scaring me and thought it might get physical the
way he was acting. Saying all kinds of **** about talking him down
$300. Like, "I'm for sure now going to a much better place cause you
devil worshipper are taking advantage of my christian believes." Thing
was is that this guy looked very similar to Gunner and I knew I would
loose in a fight. I was praying he would get around to giving the
title and keys as fast as possible.

What I'm most concerned about is wanting to keep the truck I bought
new in '86 , cause this other one (new to me) is a pussy in
comparison.
Leo Lichtman

"Sunworshipper" wrote: (clip) I'm one of the last people to intentionally
**** someone over.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good for you. From your original posting, I wasn't sure--so now we know
that there are at least three good people in this thread. :-)

Gunner

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 23:37:10 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Sunworshipper" wrote: (clip) I'm one of the last people to intentionally
**** someone over.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good for you. From your original posting, I wasn't sure--so now we know
that there are at least three good people in this thread. :-)

Sunworshiper is one of the good guys.

From personal experience and face to face.

Gunner
"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown

Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 07:20 PM
Aluminum Oxide Layer and Soot Doug Goncz Metalworking 2 July 28th 04 05:38 PM
Adjusting audio head on Pana NV-9100 U-Matic Wild Bill Electronics Repair 0 June 12th 04 01:41 AM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM