Anonymous

Default stainless steel tubing and flaring/forming

I'd like to find a small supply of straight sections of smooth, seamless,
drawn ss tubing with 1/8" i.d. and 3/16" o.d. I'd prefer not to have to
straighten coiled tubing.
Usable section lengths could be as short as 4" or up to 3 feet in length.

The i.d. can be slightly under .125" but not oversize.
The o.d. could be slightly oversize but not enough to require multiple
turning cuts.

Type 3xx or 4xx would be suitable.

I'd like to try forming a flange on an end of some of the tubing pieces.
Would 416 allow an end to be formed (similar to a pop rivet head) by
spinning, or would this need to be done as a stamping process?

Any recommendations appreciated, and thanks in advance

WB

DougR

Try a hydraulic shop. Some of them sell straight lengths of SS high
pressure tubing. I've never purchased any as small as you need, but
the bigger sizes, 1/4" and 3/8" ID, are readily available in several
wall thicknesses.

Anonymous Nobody wrote in message ...
I'd like to find a small supply of straight sections of smooth, seamless,
drawn ss tubing with 1/8" i.d. and 3/16" o.d. I'd prefer not to have to
straighten coiled tubing.
Usable section lengths could be as short as 4" or up to 3 feet in length.

The i.d. can be slightly under .125" but not oversize.
The o.d. could be slightly oversize but not enough to require multiple
turning cuts.

Type 3xx or 4xx would be suitable.

I'd like to try forming a flange on an end of some of the tubing pieces.
Would 416 allow an end to be formed (similar to a pop rivet head) by
spinning, or would this need to be done as a stamping process?

Any recommendations appreciated, and thanks in advance

WB

Randal O'Brian

www.mcmaster.com has the tubing. I think you can spin a flange with a
little experimentation in the tooling. Annealed 300 series stainless spins
fairly well.

Randy

"Anonymous" Nobody wrote in message ...
I'd like to find a small supply of straight sections of smooth, seamless,
drawn ss tubing with 1/8" i.d. and 3/16" o.d. I'd prefer not to have to
straighten coiled tubing.
Usable section lengths could be as short as 4" or up to 3 feet in length.

The i.d. can be slightly under .125" but not oversize.
The o.d. could be slightly oversize but not enough to require multiple
turning cuts.

Type 3xx or 4xx would be suitable.

I'd like to try forming a flange on an end of some of the tubing pieces.
Would 416 allow an end to be formed (similar to a pop rivet head) by
spinning, or would this need to be done as a stamping process?

Any recommendations appreciated, and thanks in advance

WB

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Ted Edwards

Anonymous wrote:

I'd like to try forming a flange on an end of some of the tubing pieces.
Would 416 allow an end to be formed (similar to a pop rivet head) by
spinning, or would this need to be done as a stamping process?

Here's a thought for your consideration. I have not done this on
stainless but I have on steel. I bought a double flaring tool to do
some brake lines. I t5hink you could get a flare well started and then
make a piece to flatten the flare into a flange.

Ted