Eide

Default Swarf varieties..

"Doug Warner" wrote in message

How may take a really close look at the swarf they produce?

I was cutting some rings from the face of 6" brass round
http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/Rings.JPG
for a clockmaker / co-worker, and was (easily) impressed by the
variety of forms the cuttings had, from the .063" wide flat sprials,
to dust particles, to wispy fluff.

I decided to take a macro shot of the stuff before disposing of it,
and posted this large (2.7MB) photo to scroll around it.
If your web browser shrinks it to fit the screen, expand it to full
size to see the full range..
http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/Swarf.jpg

Cool picture, you could frame that one.

DeepDiver

"Doug Warner" wrote in message

How may take a really close look at the swarf they produce?

I was cutting some rings from the face of 6" brass round
http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/Rings.JPG
for a clockmaker / co-worker, and was (easily) impressed by the
variety of forms the cuttings had, from the .063" wide flat sprials,
to dust particles, to wispy fluff.

I decided to take a macro shot of the stuff before disposing of it,
and posted this large (2.7MB) photo to scroll around it.
If your web browser shrinks it to fit the screen, expand it to full
size to see the full range..
http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/Swarf.jpg

That photo would make a very nice Windows desktop wallpaper.

- Michael

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
DeepDiver wrote:
"Doug Warner" wrote in message
.. .

How may take a really close look at the swarf they produce?

I was cutting some rings from the face of 6" brass round
http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/Rings.JPG
for a clockmaker / co-worker, and was (easily) impressed by the
variety of forms the cuttings had, from the .063" wide flat sprials,
to dust particles, to wispy fluff.

I decided to take a macro shot of the stuff before disposing of it,
and posted this large (2.7MB) photo to scroll around it.
If your web browser shrinks it to fit the screen, expand it to full
size to see the full range..
http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/Swarf.jpg

That photo would make a very nice Windows desktop wallpaper.

Or any system -- not just Windows. I plan to put it on my Sun
unix systems.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Mark Rand

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 13:28:31 -0400, Doug Warner
wrote:

How may take a really close look at the swarf they produce?

I was cutting some rings from the face of 6" brass round
http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/Rings.JPG
for a clockmaker / co-worker, and was (easily) impressed by the
variety of forms the cuttings had, from the .063" wide flat sprials,
to dust particles, to wispy fluff.

I decided to take a macro shot of the stuff before disposing of it,
and posted this large (2.7MB) photo to scroll around it.
If your web browser shrinks it to fit the screen, expand it to full
size to see the full range..
http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/Swarf.jpg

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

Pretty BG

Mark Rand
RTFM
Mark Rand

wrote:

How may take a really close look at the swarf they produce?

I was cutting some rings from the face of 6" brass round
http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/Rings.JPG
for a clockmaker / co-worker, and was (easily) impressed by the
variety of forms the cuttings had, from the .063" wide flat sprials,
to dust particles, to wispy fluff.

I decided to take a macro shot of the stuff before disposing of it,
and posted this large (2.7MB) photo to scroll around it.
If your web browser shrinks it to fit the screen, expand it to full
size to see the full range..
http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/Swarf.jpg

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

Actually, I'll go one step further. It makes a great screen background.

Mark Rand
RTFM

Roger Shoaf

I also kind of like the blue color when you are taking a heavy cut of steel
with a carbide cutter.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.
"Doug Warner" wrote in message

How may take a really close look at the swarf they produce?

I was cutting some rings from the face of 6" brass round
http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/Rings.JPG
for a clockmaker / co-worker, and was (easily) impressed by the
variety of forms the cuttings had, from the .063" wide flat sprials,
to dust particles, to wispy fluff.

I decided to take a macro shot of the stuff before disposing of it,
and posted this large (2.7MB) photo to scroll around it.
If your web browser shrinks it to fit the screen, expand it to full
size to see the full range..
http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/Swarf.jpg

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

RoyJ

Waaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands! Very nice shot. I tried it
as wallpaper, can't find any of my icons.

Doug Warner wrote:
Mark Rand wrote:

Actually, I'll go one step further. It makes a great screen background.

Mark Rand
RTFM

http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2..._1600x1200.jpg

A different arrangement, cropped to 3:4 ratio for best fit on standard
monitors, 1600 x 1200.

I also pumped up the saturation a bit more to highten the gold effect,
and shot it in the shade, taking care to eliminate overblown
highlights.

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

Jon Elson

DeepDiver wrote:
"Doug Warner" wrote in message

How may take a really close look at the swarf they produce?

I was cutting some rings from the face of 6" brass round
http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/Rings.JPG
for a clockmaker / co-worker, and was (easily) impressed by the
variety of forms the cuttings had, from the .063" wide flat sprials,
to dust particles, to wispy fluff.

I decided to take a macro shot of the stuff before disposing of it,
and posted this large (2.7MB) photo to scroll around it.
If your web browser shrinks it to fit the screen, expand it to full
size to see the full range..
http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/Swarf.jpg

That photo would make a very nice Windows desktop wallpaper.

Boy, see what happens when you let an "artist" in the machine
shop! Loses all focus on making the part and starts doing artsy
photographs of the chips! Even in black and white, I would have
recognized that material as brass, though!

Jon

Wild Bill

That's a great looking pile of turnings. I've noticed that the tight spirals
that come out of soft synthetic materials looks a lot like worm or grub body
rings.

I haven't tried 'em out, but white or nylon spirals might trick a fish into
thinking it's food. Slip a length on a jig head, maybe?

WB

"Doug Warner" wrote in message

How may take a really close look at the swarf they produce?

I was cutting some rings from the face of 6" brass round
http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/Rings.JPG
for a clockmaker / co-worker, and was (easily) impressed by the
variety of forms the cuttings had, from the .063" wide flat sprials,
to dust particles, to wispy fluff.

I decided to take a macro shot of the stuff before disposing of it,
and posted this large (2.7MB) photo to scroll around it.
If your web browser shrinks it to fit the screen, expand it to full
size to see the full range..
http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/Swarf.jpg

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

Don Young

I have a deck of playing cards with a print of a painting on the back called
"Milling Chips". The painting is one of a group made for Kearney and Trecker
but I do not remember the artist right now. Very pretty.
Don Young

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
ervers.com...