Grant Erwin

Default 2 hate crime bills signed into law by Blagojevich

Not only is that topic completely unrelated to anything to do with this NG, but
if you follow this link they ask you to "register" to view the article.

Please show a little discretion.

GWE

Ignoramus6767 wrote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed

``The other law makes it a hate crime to use electronic communication
to harass someone because of his or her race, color, creed, religion,
ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, or physical or mental disability.''

how is that constitutional?

ATP*

"Ignoramus6767" wrote in message
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed

``The other law makes it a hate crime to use electronic communication
to harass someone because of his or her race, color, creed, religion,
ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, or physical or mental disability.''

how is that constitutional?

I don't think harassing people for any reason is protected by the
constitution. The same laws should apply to personal email, text messaging,
etc. that would apply to phone calls. It shouldn't apply to general
opinions, political speech, or comments on public figures. That said, these
special laws all too often wind up turning normal incidents/fights where
people say nasty things into hate crimes. The prosecution should have to
prove the victim was sought out because of the orientation, disability,
etc., not just that slurs were involved.

Dave Hinz

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:24:26 GMT, Ignoramus6767 wrote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed

``The other law makes it a hate crime to use electronic communication
to harass someone because of his or her race, color, creed, religion,
ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, or physical or mental disability.''

So, I can't call you an ignoramus now?

how is that constitutional?

Blagojevich never lets minor details get in the way of his
headline-whoring.

Jim Stewart

Ignoramus6767 wrote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed

``The other law makes it a hate crime to use electronic communication
to harass someone because of his or her race, color, creed, religion,
ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, or physical or mental disability.''

how is that constitutional?

How are liable and slander laws constitutional?

The original first amendment freedom of speech clause
protects political speech, not all speech.
Tom Miller

And just who in hell is Blagojevich?
And who's constitution?
Has it ever occurred that US politics is NOT the centre of the world. and is
a long way from metal work.

Tom Miller

Tim Wescott

Tom Miller wrote:

And just who in hell is Blagojevich?
And who's constitution?
Has it ever occurred that US politics is NOT the centre of the world. and is
a long way from metal work.

Tom Miller

I believe that Illinois is a client state of the Chicago Imperium, in
any case.

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Tom Miller

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
Tom Miller wrote:

And just who in hell is Blagojevich?
And who's constitution?
Has it ever occurred that US politics is NOT the centre of the world.

and is
a long way from metal work.

Tom Miller

I believe that Illinois is a client state of the Chicago Imperium, in
any case.

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Thank you. I'll file that information in case I need it.

Tom Miller

lionslair at consolidated dot net

Ignoramus6767 wrote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed

``The other law makes it a hate crime to use electronic communication
to harass someone because of his or her race, color, creed, religion,
ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, or physical or mental disability.''

how is that constitutional?

That second one is so subjective - anyone can be claimed to be 'mental disability'
if they can't control their cell phone message center...

It is yet another mother may I or mother don't hit me again...

But then - someday soon - majority will become a minority in some states.

I turned into a minority in Ca. and I'm Anglo Saxon descents (yes both sides) :-)

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:36:14 +1000, Tom Miller wrote:
And just who in hell is Blagojevich?

Governor of Illinois, so far off the left side of the page that Pelosi
and Clinton have probably thought "that guy needs to chill out a bit".

Has it ever occurred that US politics is NOT the centre of the world. and is
a long way from metal work.

I guess that's what's nice about having a subject line on posts, eh?
Granted, there's no OT: in it, but...