Default Leveling lot for pole barn. Help how to measure.

I got some rebar and used them as "stakes" for where my building will
be. I stretched a string between each one. To measure the difference in
level of the ground, how do I put up the string? I mean, do I put one
end on the ground and the other at level? What I am having trouble with
is I can get the line level in the center, but if I slide it ot eiher
end the bubble is off.

Does any of this make any sense? What I am trying to do is determine
how "off" my ground is from being level.

Glenn Ashmore

Line levels are only acurate at the center of the line. Off to either side
the sag will not be equal so it will read high towards the side closest to a
stake. To level other places a clear plastic tube full of water and a
couple of sticks works great. Tie one end of the tube to a corner stake
extending the end up another couple of feet. Tape the other end to your
measuring stick with a couple of feet extra above it. Hold the measuring
stake next to the corner stake and fill the tube with water until it reaches
the line and make a mark on the tube. (a little food color makes it easier
to see).

Move around the area placing the measuring stick on the ground. If it is
high the water will be below the mark and vis versa.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

wrote in message
ups.com...
I got some rebar and used them as "stakes" for where my building will
be. I stretched a string between each one. To measure the difference in
level of the ground, how do I put up the string? I mean, do I put one
end on the ground and the other at level? What I am having trouble with
is I can get the line level in the center, but if I slide it ot eiher
end the bubble is off.

Does any of this make any sense? What I am trying to do is determine
how "off" my ground is from being level.

I have a laser level but it will not show up in sunlight.

Bugs

I have a laser level but it will not show up in sunlight.

Laser levels shoot a straight line but are not necessarily level. The
ones I've seen have lousy bubbles. The only way to know you are level
is to shoot from two different bench marks from each direction. If it
is dead on from both directions it's level, otherwise the difference is
double the error. Surveyor's levels are tested exactly the same way.
Laser levels show up fine after dark,
Bugs

ATP*

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a laser level but it will not show up in sunlight.

You need to use an electronic target with a laser level. I wouldn't trust
the new ultra-cheesy rotating lasers over any distance. I think they're more
appropriate for putting up shelves in a closet.

yourname

christ, whats wrong with a water level? 10 bucks worth of fittings and
clear tubing, a length of garden hose and you are good to go.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"yourname" wrote in message
christ, whats wrong with a water level? 10 bucks worth of fittings and
clear tubing, a length of garden hose and you are good to go.

The real problem is that most people don't know how to use a water level.
That's why those silly things with the buzzer on one end were made. (BTW...
they suck. ONE use and two months of storage destroy them, due to corrosion
and mildew on the pickup contacts. Even with the "cleaning brush" they
_sometimes_ supply with them, you cannot keep one working for long in a very
damp climate.)

A right-good water level is made with a long length of transparent tubing
(about 1/4" to 3/8" i.d.) and a large vessel at the "home" end. The vessel
should be twenty or more times the total volume of the hose to make the
system both easy to use and accurate. A gallon milk jug works fine for most
lengths.

Adapt the lid of the jug so it snugly holds the tubing all the way down to
the bottom of the jug. Fill the hose completely, and fill the jug to at
least the 1/2-full mark. Purge all bubbles from the hose. Provide a clamp
or plug for shutting off the free end of the hose so the water doesn't pour
out when you move it around or set it down.

Place the jug at your "home" reference, and note the distance from its water
level to the "level mark" you want to establish. Then just move the other
end of the hose to the various locations where you want to strike marks.
Measure up or down from the hose's water level the same distance you
measured up or down from the jug level.

If you let the water "settle" between moves of the hose (for say five to ten
seconds after it seems to stop moving), you'll be within a 1/16" or so
everywhere -- even up to a hundred feet from the jug. Bubbles in the hose
will drastically impair its accuracy.

LLoyd

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
Adapt the lid of the jug so it snugly holds the tubing all the way down to
the bottom of the jug.

I should have noted to drill a small vent hole in the lid, too, or the
system won't work PERIOD. (duh!G)

LLoyd

ATP*

"yourname" wrote in message
[...]

And there will almost always be bubbles in the hose somewhere.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"ATP*" wrote in message

And there will almost always be bubbles in the hose somewhere.

I'm not talking about tiny bubbles that adhere to the sidewalls of the tube.
I'm talking about full-diameter bubbles that occupy some portion of the
length.

It's not hard, nor does it take more than a few moments to purge the hose
sufficiently.

LLoyd

spaco

I got some rebar and used them as "stakes" for where my building will
be. I stretched a string between each one. To measure the difference in
level of the ground, how do I put up the string? I mean, do I put one
end on the ground and the other at level? What I am having trouble with
is I can get the line level in the center, but if I slide it ot eiher
end the bubble is off.

Does any of this make any sense? What I am trying to do is determine
how "off" my ground is from being level.

I bought a peep sight level 30 years ago and have used it ever since.
The level cost $25 and I bought a regular rod that cost $45. I cut a
piece of 2 X 2 exactly 5 feet long and cut a vee notch in the top of it
that sets the level's centerline at exactly 5 feet. Looking through the
peepsight level with your legs spread, you see the level mark and a
precision bubble. Get the bubble level and read the rod. Subtract the
5 feet and there you are. I have done a lot of landscaping, leveling
for building sites and even building walls with this setup. As someone
also said, if in doubt, check from both ends. Don't drink and level.
Unless you set the rod up, you need 2 people to do this efficiently.
I recently got a somewhat expensive self leveling laser that
produces very bright dots over about a 10 degree arc. Its rotation is
controlled by a remote, so you can set it up, go to the place you want
to mark and, if there's no dot exactly there, you just hit the remote
until one comes your way.
In the daytime and outside, I still like the peepsight level.

Pete Stanaitis

Martin H. Eastburn

I have a laser level but it will not show up in sunlight.

Maybe it does but not on what you are looking at - try a white card.
Martin

carl mciver

"yourname" wrote in message
| christ, whats wrong with a water level? 10 bucks worth of fittings and
| clear tubing, a length of garden hose and you are good to go.

ISTR Lowes or Home Depot selling a nifty little kit you attach to your
water hose to do just that. It had everything you needed, for a decent
price I recall, although it assumed you were a homeowner from the design.
It's been awhile, and I couldn't find it on either of their web sites.

Tom Miller

Just a drop of dish washing detergent in the water reduces the surface
tension and makes the "air/water interface" more sensitive.

Tom

"yourname" wrote in message
christ, whats wrong with a water level? 10 bucks worth of fittings and
clear tubing, a length of garden hose and you are good to go.

Joseph Gwinn

In article ,
"Tom Miller" wrote:

Just a drop of dish washing detergent in the water reduces the surface
tension and makes the "air/water interface" more sensitive.

One trick I've used on hygrometers is to treat the inside of the tube
with Rain-X, so the water meets the wall perpendicular to the wall,
making the location of the water level unambiguous. This also makes the
interface more sensitive because the water doesn't stick to the treated
wall. Likewise battery acid.

Joe Gwinn
RAM^3

"carl mciver" wrote in
ink.net:

"yourname" wrote in message
| christ, whats wrong with a water level? 10 bucks worth of fittings
| and clear tubing, a length of garden hose and you are good to go.

ISTR Lowes or Home Depot selling a nifty little kit you attach to
your
water hose to do just that. It had everything you needed, for a
decent price I recall, although it assumed you were a homeowner from
the design. It's been awhile, and I couldn't find it on either of
their web sites.

Stanley makes a water level that comes complete with clear tubing.

Ohmwork [email protected] Home Repair 36 July 24th 04 12:22 AM
How do shorted electrolyic capacitors measure up? Asimov Electronics Repair 0 May 15th 04 05:02 AM
Dimming Lights in Barn (underground wire) Charles Home Repair 3 January 16th 04 05:04 PM
Grounding for electric service to new barn Bruce Home Repair 1 November 4th 03 02:26 AM
Can you measure Impedance with an Ohm Meter....... Verdons Electronics Repair 9 July 19th 03 06:16 PM