Glenn Ashmore

Line levels are only acurate at the center of the line. Off to either side
the sag will not be equal so it will read high towards the side closest to a
stake. To level other places a clear plastic tube full of water and a
couple of sticks works great. Tie one end of the tube to a corner stake
extending the end up another couple of feet. Tape the other end to your
measuring stick with a couple of feet extra above it. Hold the measuring
stake next to the corner stake and fill the tube with water until it reaches
the line and make a mark on the tube. (a little food color makes it easier
to see).

Move around the area placing the measuring stick on the ground. If it is
high the water will be below the mark and vis versa.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

wrote in message
ups.com...
I got some rebar and used them as "stakes" for where my building will
be. I stretched a string between each one. To measure the difference in
level of the ground, how do I put up the string? I mean, do I put one
end on the ground and the other at level? What I am having trouble with
is I can get the line level in the center, but if I slide it ot eiher
end the bubble is off.

Does any of this make any sense? What I am trying to do is determine
how "off" my ground is from being level.