Joe AutoDrill

Default Working Corian & Granite-like Substances?

I've got a customer who wants to drill holes in Corian and other synthetic
granite substances. The hole size is 1-1/4" diameter.

Anyone know of a chart to figure out RPM, HP, Thrust or any other info?

Thanks for anything you can offer.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
http://www.AutoDrill.com
http://www.Multi-Drill.com

V8013-R

Joseph Gwinn

In article p1hqe.1$aR1.0@trndny02,
"Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

I've got a customer who wants to drill holes in Corian and other synthetic
granite substances. The hole size is 1-1/4" diameter.

Anyone know of a chart to figure out RPM, HP, Thrust or any other info?

Corian is basically mineral-loaded plexiglass, so water cooling is
likely to be necessary to prevent melting. I would suggest going to the
local Corian dealer or the DuPont website (http://www.corian.com) and
looking for the inevitable application notes on such things. Dupont
wants people to know how to use Corian, so they'll buy lots of it.

Joe Gwinn

Thanks for anything you can offer.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
http://www.AutoDrill.com
http://www.Multi-Drill.com

V8013-R

Ed Huntress

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
news1hqe.1$aR1.0@trndny02...
I've got a customer who wants to drill holes in Corian and other synthetic
granite substances. The hole size is 1-1/4" diameter.

Anyone know of a chart to figure out RPM, HP, Thrust or any other info?

Thanks for anything you can offer.

Since DuPont sells Corian for a lot of technical and commercial uses, they
probably have the best data: www.corian.com; 1-800-4-CORIAN
(1-800-426-7426).

Corian is an acrylic-matrix composite. I don't recall what the mineral
filler is -- maybe gypsum. Anyway, it's more like an abrasive plastic than a
mineral. Other synthetics are made of different materials and probably
require a different approach.

Good luck.

--
Ed Huntress

Joe AutoDrill

Corian is basically mineral-loaded plexiglass, so water cooling is
likely to be necessary to prevent melting.

Agreed. I'm open to any tooling ideas too... As long as I can figure out
HP, thrust, etc. I can put a greased automobile key into a chuck if that
works for the customer.

The basic concept is to keep it as cool as possible so I'm thinking that a
fluted hole saw or even spade drill-type tool would work best with water
based coolant... See below for context based on a discussion with a DuPont
person...

I would suggest going to the
local Corian dealer or the DuPont website (http://www.corian.com) and
looking for the inevitable application notes on such things. Dupont
wants people to know how to use Corian, so they'll buy lots of it.

Ya know sumthin... I just tried that. Their web page:

http://www.corian.com/corian/a/en/c/..._Us/index.html

Doesn't work... And when I called the number listed, the representative
refused to take any technical details on the job unless I gave her a project
name. I made one up and she basically refused to talk to me since she knew
I was making a name up... Perfect example of what I call "urban attitude"
and a really bad first impression. I'm gonna call again right now and see
if I get less of an idiot on the phone... Just a sec...

Okay... Redemption. Received the name of a gentleman who represents DuPont
on "special" Corian jobs. He was able to tell me it machines just like hard
maple or hickory (too bad I can't use it in my smoker...)

It expands when worked and heated so keeping everything slow and cool is a
must or use water-based flood coolant. It is not abrasive at all - about
the same as talc.

So... Now the big question is... Will this work... I'm thinking 400 RPM,
1.5 HP, .010 feed and around 300 lbs. thrust...

I'll let you know! And if anyone needs lots of Corian or tech answers
regarding working Corian, I've got just the contact for you... The guy is
great. Just eMail me off-line.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
http://www.AutoDrill.com
http://www.Multi-Drill.com

V8013-R

Joe AutoDrill

Corian is an acrylic-matrix composite. I don't recall what the mineral
filler is -- maybe gypsum. Anyway, it's more like an abrasive plastic than
mineral. Other synthetics are made of different materials and probably
require a different approach.

Ed,

Thanks. The abrasive material is alumi-somthing... I forget. Bottom line
is that it is about as abrasive as talc... Not too bad. The key is keeping
it cool when driling or heating it to 385 degrees and punching out the holes
if the tolerances are not a real big issue. It "warps" a bit but is easily
made flat again.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Ed Huntress

Corian is an acrylic-matrix composite. I don't recall what the mineral
filler is -- maybe gypsum. Anyway, it's more like an abrasive plastic

than
mineral. Other synthetics are made of different materials and probably
require a different approach.

Ed,

Thanks. The abrasive material is alumi-somthing... I forget. Bottom

line
is that it is about as abrasive as talc... Not too bad. The key is

keeping
it cool when driling or heating it to 385 degrees and punching out the

holes
if the tolerances are not a real big issue. It "warps" a bit but is

easily
made flat again.

Yeah, I saw your message about five minutes too late. I see you've already
been through the list of usual suspects.

You should be an expert on it soon, Joe. Let us know. I may have to cut and
drill some of the stuff myself, later this summer.

--
Ed Huntress

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I've got a customer who wants to drill holes in Corian and other synthetic
granite substances. The hole size is 1-1/4" diameter.

Anyone know of a chart to figure out RPM, HP, Thrust or any other info?

Thanks for anything you can offer.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
http://www.AutoDrill.com
http://www.Multi-Drill.com

V8013-R

It's not anywhere near as hard as stone, it's usually worked with
woodworking tools. It's a filled plastic substance as are its
competitors, some form of acrylic from the smell. I'd use a hole saw
for that large of a hole. I've messed with offcuts, turning knobs and
such for projects, it's about like working hardwood except for the
dust. They use wood routers and a special bit for prepping edges for
joining up panels for countertops, there's also a special glue that
supposed to be used that you can only get from certified and blessed
franchisees. If your customer is going to be doing a lot of it, he
probably needs to get hooked up as a Corian outlet with the
manufacturer and then he can get all those technical details filled in
for free. Dupont gets pretty ****y about the general public doing
anything with it, might be he needs to look at a different brand. I
like the material, don't like the attitude that comes with it.

Stan

Joe AutoDrill

Dupont gets pretty ****y about the general public doing
anything with it, might be he needs to look at a different brand. I
like the material, don't like the attitude that comes with it.

So I noticed on my very first call to them... I basically hung up on their
rep... Probably at the same time she was hanging up on me.

Second call to them was blessed by God and went smooth as can be. Lots of
good info...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Joe AutoDrill

You should be an expert on it soon, Joe. Let us know. I may have to cut
and
drill some of the stuff myself, later this summer.

Define expert...

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

jim rozen

In article , Ed Huntress says...

You should be an expert on it soon, Joe. Let us know. I may have to cut and
drill some of the stuff myself, later this summer.

I have a large chunk of it myself, been meaning to make a vanity
top (special shape for our pentagonal bathroom....) for the
longest time.

What does one use for gluing it?

Jim

please reply to:

Ed Huntress

You should be an expert on it soon, Joe. Let us know. I may have to cut
and
drill some of the stuff myself, later this summer.

Define expert...

Somebody who knows 12 ways to screw the job up, and one way that doesn't.
d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

ed_h

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I've got a customer who wants to drill holes in Corian and other synthetic
granite substances. The hole size is 1-1/4" diameter.

Anyone know of a chart to figure out RPM, HP, Thrust or any other info?

Thanks for anything you can offer.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
http://www.AutoDrill.com
http://www.Multi-Drill.com

V8013-R

You might be overthinking this. I work it with woodworking power
tools, and have never had a problem. A standard bi-metal holesaw will
cut your hole.

Jim Stewart

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Dupont gets pretty ****y about the general public doing
anything with it, might be he needs to look at a different brand. I
like the material, don't like the attitude that comes with it.

So I noticed on my very first call to them... I basically hung up on their
rep... Probably at the same time she was hanging up on me.

Second call to them was blessed by God and went smooth as can be. Lots of
good info...

Sad. I remember when it came out, Pop Mech or Pop Sci had
a big article on how it was the do-it-yourselfer's dream,
the look of stone with the ease of work of hardwood.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:26:22 GMT, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
You should be an expert on it soon, Joe. Let us know. I may have to cut
and
drill some of the stuff myself, later this summer.

Define expert...

Well, "ex-" means "has-been", and a spurt is a drip under pressure.
So, an expert then, is a has-been drip, under pressure.

Joe AutoDrill

You might be overthinking this. I work it with woodworking power
tools, and have never had a problem. A standard bi-metal holesaw will
cut your hole.

Probably... But I'd hate to send a multi-tousand dollar piece of machinery
out to Bucksnort, wherever and then have to either visit the site to make it
work or send parts back and forth as they adjust it...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Joseph Gwinn

In article 7oiqe.510$fa3.319@trndny01,
"Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

Corian is basically mineral-loaded plexiglass, so water cooling is
likely to be necessary to prevent melting.

Agreed. I'm open to any tooling ideas too... As long as I can figure out
HP, thrust, etc. I can put a greased automobile key into a chuck if that
works for the customer.

The basic concept is to keep it as cool as possible so I'm thinking that a
fluted hole saw or even spade drill-type tool would work best with water
based coolant... See below for context based on a discussion with a DuPont
person...

As discussed below, if it's only for one or two holes, just cut it dry
but real slow. If it's more than a few holes, set up a water flood.
Don't know that I would use any oil, even soluable oil. Many plastics
will craze some time later.

I would suggest going to the
local Corian dealer or the DuPont website (http://www.corian.com) and
looking for the inevitable application notes on such things. Dupont
wants people to know how to use Corian, so they'll buy lots of it.

Ya know sumthin... I just tried that. Their web page:

http://www.corian.com/corian/a/en/c/..._Us/index.html

Doesn't work... And when I called the number listed, the representative
refused to take any technical details on the job unless I gave her a project
name. I made one up and she basically refused to talk to me since she knew
I was making a name up... Perfect example of what I call "urban attitude"
and a really bad first impression. I'm gonna call again right now and see
if I get less of an idiot on the phone... Just a sec...

You know, I never called them, always doing my research on their
website. It sounds like they are protecting their authorized
dealer-fabricators. The other fear is that untrained people will have
problems getting the details right, and will give the material a bad
name. I doubt that urban versus rural has anything to do with it.

Okay... Redemption. Received the name of a gentleman who represents DuPont
on "special" Corian jobs. He was able to tell me it machines just like hard
maple or hickory (too bad I can't use it in my smoker...)

It expands when worked and heated so keeping everything slow and cool is a
must or use water-based flood coolant. It is not abrasive at all - about
the same as talc.

So... Now the big question is... Will this work... I'm thinking 400 RPM,
1.5 HP, .010 feed and around 300 lbs. thrust...

I would just have at some scrap pieces. I don't think it's all that
difficult to machine.

I'll let you know! And if anyone needs lots of Corian or tech answers
regarding working Corian, I've got just the contact for you... The guy is
great. Just eMail me off-line.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
http://www.AutoDrill.com
http://www.Multi-Drill.com

V8013-R

Use a tct woodworking router with a two flute 1/2" shank straight
bit.
10x 60t tct tcg saws work about as good as anything.
Forget Dupont they are jerks to deal with.
The stuff is quite abrasive because it's basically glass filled so you
might not want it near your machine tools

to figure sfpm figure a 1/2" router is turning 20,000 rpm

Gary Brady

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I've got a customer who wants to drill holes in Corian and other synthetic
granite substances. The hole size is 1-1/4" diameter.

Anyone know of a chart to figure out RPM, HP, Thrust or any other info?

Thanks for anything you can offer.

Corian is a plastic product and is fabricated with woodworking tools. A
hole saw should work fine for the hole. It is not, however, synthetic
granite, and I assume by that you are referring to "Silestone",
"Avanza", or the like. These are quartz products and will require
granite fabrication tools to work. The hole would be cut with an
abrasive holesaw in a water cooling bath. I watched a guy use modeling
clay to make a dam around the hole to hold the water in before he
applied the saw.

Gary Brady
BEAR

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I've got a customer who wants to drill holes in Corian and other synthetic
granite substances. The hole size is 1-1/4" diameter.

Anyone know of a chart to figure out RPM, HP, Thrust or any other info?

Thanks for anything you can offer.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
http://www.AutoDrill.com
http://www.Multi-Drill.com

V8013-R

Cuts fine with any carbide tools - speed is largely irrelvant.

I use everything from routers to milling machines and drill presses on
it. Real Corian we're talking. The other competetive products may and do
work somewhat differently. Some are softer, some harder.

Corian will polish up nicely, just like an automotive paint process -
use the same methods. Sweet stuff.

Expensive.

Use a fine tooth blade for the saw, use BREATHING PROTECTION. The DUST
is BAD!!

They do sell special blades for cutting it, but in anything less than a
volume production situation, that's meaningless.

You can see a "granite look" corian front panel on my website:
http://www.bearlabs.com go to Amplifiers.

The one that is on the main page is NOT corian, it is faux soapstone,
and had to be cut to size by the local stone fab house. (Diamond, water
cooled, etc). I was able to drill the holes myself, with carbide masonry
bits - extra nasty dust. But not too many too do.

Corian is nice by comparison.

_-_-bear

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Ed Huntress says...

You should be an expert on it soon, Joe. Let us know. I may have to cut and
drill some of the stuff myself, later this summer.

I have a large chunk of it myself, been meaning to make a vanity
top (special shape for our pentagonal bathroom....) for the
longest time.

What does one use for gluing it?

Jim

Like I said, there's a purpose-made adhesive for it that's only
available to the chosen few. I've seen large countertops that were
fabricated using the right stuff that you couldn't see the joints
between the slabs. Not sure if it's a solvent-type adhesive or an
epoxy system. I've read some articles where some guys using offcuts
and scraps to make knobs and larger turnings used clear Devcon epoxy to
stack pieces up to make turning blanks, worked out fine for them. I
imagine that if you were doing like a backsplash to go with the
countertop that the clear epoxy would work just fine if you got your
cuts true. Edge butt joints might not be so good.

Stan

Harold and Susan Vordos

"ed_h" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip---

You might be overthinking this. I work it with woodworking power
tools, and have never had a problem. A standard bi-metal holesaw will
cut your hole.

I agree. I made a soap dish many years ago from a piece that was 3/4"
thick. Machined it with HSS cutters and had no problems at all. I recall
it was quite nice to machine.

Harold

Gunner

On 10 Jun 2005 08:51:28 -0700, wrote:

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
[...]

It also makes pretty decent scales for knives as well.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown