JB

Default Phase Converter?

Hi Guys,

I am thinking about purchasing a DoAll 16" Vertical Bandsaw. It ihas a 3
Phase Motor and also has a blade welder. Will the blade welder work
properly off of a phase converter. Can a VFD operate the saw and the
welder?

Thanks for the help.

Joe...

Chuck Sherwood

I am thinking about purchasing a DoAll 16" Vertical Bandsaw. It ihas a 3
Phase Motor and also has a blade welder. Will the blade welder work
properly off of a phase converter. Can a VFD operate the saw and the
welder?

this came up a short while ago. Most blade welders are single phase.
chuck
Gunner

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 13:44:00 -0400, "JB"
wrote:

Hi Guys,

I am thinking about purchasing a DoAll 16" Vertical Bandsaw. It ihas a 3
Phase Motor and also has a blade welder. Will the blade welder work
properly off of a phase converter. Can a VFD operate the saw and the
welder?

Thanks for the help.

Joe...

Yes..It "should work" on a phase converter and no the blade welder
will not work off a vfd. On the other hand...the blade welder is
single phase, so may be simply wired directly to your single phase
input.
Nice score on the do-all. Very nice machines assuming good condition.
Parts are problematic for the older ones. By which I mean anything
made before the 60s..of which there are still a bunch around as they
last so long. On the gripping hand..you can make most anything that
breaks because they are simple.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

JB

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Gunner. I appreciate the help.

Joe...

john

JB wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am thinking about purchasing a DoAll 16" Vertical Bandsaw. It ihas a 3
Phase Motor and also has a blade welder. Will the blade welder work
properly off of a phase converter. Can a VFD operate the saw and the
welder?

Thanks for the help.

Joe...

There is already a reeves drive on the saw to change the speed. A VFD
will work but its a waste to put it on the saw because at slower speeds
of the VFD you won't get all the hp out of the motor.

John

JB

Thanks John. You make a great point. There is no doubt that I will need to
use a phase converter. The only thing left to decise is whether to go
static or phase.

Thanks again.

Joe...

"john" wrote in message

JB wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am thinking about purchasing a DoAll 16" Vertical Bandsaw. It ihas a 3
Phase Motor and also has a blade welder. Will the blade welder work
properly off of a phase converter. Can a VFD operate the saw and the
welder?

Thanks for the help.

Joe...

There is already a reeves drive on the saw to change the speed. A VFD
will work but its a waste to put it on the saw because at slower speeds
of the VFD you won't get all the hp out of the motor.

John

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
JB wrote:
Thanks John. You make a great point. There is no doubt that I will need to
use a phase converter. The only thing left to decise is whether to go
static or phase.

*Don't* use a static phase converter -- it will only give you
about 2/3 of the motor's rated horsepower, and in particular, when you
are loading it with a heavy cut, it is quite likely to blow the start
capacitor which will switch in when the speed is loaded down enough.

A rotary converter would be a far better way to go. Pick up a
used three phase motor of about 1-1/2 to 2 times the horsepower rating
of the motor in the saw, and ask around here for pointers to how to make
it into a rotary converter.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
JB

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
JB wrote:
Thanks John. You make a great point. There is no doubt that I will need
use a phase converter. The only thing left to decise is whether to go
static or phase.

*Don't* use a static phase converter -- it will only give you
about 2/3 of the motor's rated horsepower, and in particular, when you
are loading it with a heavy cut, it is quite likely to blow the start
capacitor which will switch in when the speed is loaded down enough.

A rotary converter would be a far better way to go. Pick up a
used three phase motor of about 1-1/2 to 2 times the horsepower rating
of the motor in the saw, and ask around here for pointers to how to make
it into a rotary converter.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Don,

Like I said, the only thing I need to do is buy or make a rotary phase
converter :-).

Thanks for the advice.

My sincerest appreciation for the help.

Joe...

Chuck Sherwood

Like I said, the only thing I need to do is buy or make a rotary phase
converter :-).

Swapping the 3phase motor out for a single phase seems like a viable option
to me.