Sacha

Default Can anyone make a custom item?

I am looking to find someone who can make from PMC or any type of metal
actually a small ovalish (about an inch) piece of metal that says IOU.
Nothing super fancy, smooth and sturdy but simple. If you think you can
please mail me and let me know your idea and about how much you would
charge. Thanks so much! Sachant at yahoo
Jeff Wisnia

Sacha wrote:
I am looking to find someone who can make from PMC or any type of metal
actually a small ovalish (about an inch) piece of metal that says IOU.
Nothing super fancy, smooth and sturdy but simple. If you think you can
please mail me and let me know your idea and about how much you would
charge. Thanks so much! Sachant at yahoo

When you state "says IOU" do you mean you want those three letters
stamped or engraved on the metal.

If so, any competent jeweler can make what you want, or try going to a
"Things Remembered" shop and buying something like this with the "IOU"
engraved on it:

http://tinyurl.com/b9q3j

They have several other sizes and shapes of things like that.

I hadn't heard of "PMC" (Precious Metal Clay) before. Live and learn,
it looks like pretty interesting stuff, sort of like powder met without
a press:

http://www.silversmithing.com/1clay.htm

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

DeepDiver

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

I hadn't heard of "PMC" (Precious Metal Clay) before. Live and learn, it
looks like pretty interesting stuff, sort of like powder met without a
press:

http://www.silversmithing.com/1clay.htm

If you think that's cool, check this out:

http://www.bathsheba.com/sculpt2/process/index.html

The company that produces this "Direct Metal Printing" technology is
ProMetal:

http://www.prometal.com/

- Michael

Jeff Wisnia

DeepDiver wrote:
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

I hadn't heard of "PMC" (Precious Metal Clay) before. Live and learn, it
looks like pretty interesting stuff, sort of like powder met without a
press:

http://www.silversmithing.com/1clay.htm

If you think that's cool, check this out:

http://www.bathsheba.com/sculpt2/process/index.html

The company that produces this "Direct Metal Printing" technology is
ProMetal:

http://www.prometal.com/

- Michael

Sounds like we're getting closer and closer to developing the fabled
"Santa Claus Machine"...

You know, the one where you dump raw materials in a hopper at the top
and anything you need made, from a brick to a toaster oven, comes
tumbling out a chute a few moments later.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Sacha wrote:

[...]

That is an awsome idea obviously not one I had thought of. I will
definitly check that out.
Thank you!

JohnM

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
DeepDiver wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

I hadn't heard of "PMC" (Precious Metal Clay) before. Live and learn,
it looks like pretty interesting stuff, sort of like powder met
without a press:

http://www.silversmithing.com/1clay.htm

If you think that's cool, check this out:

http://www.bathsheba.com/sculpt2/process/index.html

The company that produces this "Direct Metal Printing" technology is
ProMetal:

http://www.prometal.com/

- Michael

Sounds like we're getting closer and closer to developing the fabled
"Santa Claus Machine"...

You know, the one where you dump raw materials in a hopper at the top
and anything you need made, from a brick to a toaster oven, comes
tumbling out a chute a few moments later.

Jeff

Yeah, the Universal Fabricator.. I don't remember if it's been discussed
here or not, I was doing some random googling a while back and there's a
guy (arizona, maybe) has a machine like a giant printer and it shoots
concrete. Multiple layers builds a house for you, seems it said two days
for 1000 sq. ft.

There's also smaller machines doing the same thing with plastic, they
can build stuff with ball joints that are built in the assembled position.

I think this was discussed here, googling the group might find it..

John
Bob Engelhardt

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I hadn't heard of "PMC" (Precious Metal Clay) before. Live and learn, it
looks like pretty interesting stuff, ...

It is interesting, isn't it. I went to Rio Grande to check the price:
$57 / 50 gm "lump" of the original PMC. Bob
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

Jeff Wisnia writes:

Sounds like we're getting closer and closer to developing the fabled
"Santa Claus Machine"...

Real close, in fact. Check out http://fab.media.mit.edu/!

-tih
--
Don't ascribe to stupidity what can be adequately explained by ignorance.