Bob Engelhardt

Default CHEAP eBay clamps

There are 6 "vise grip style" clamps in this auction, including an 18"
one! $21 shipped. How bad could they be? Could they even be usable?
What about if one considered them to be clamp kits - could they be made
usable?

Lets see, what could be wrong with them:
- the steel could be so inferior to bend or break under load,
- the fit could be so bad that the jaws don't line up,
- the joints could be so loose that the jaws wander,
- the threads could be so rough that adjustment is difficult,
???

How in the world can these be manufactured, shipped across the Pacific,
middlemen be paid, and still only be $21 delivered?

Bob
Don Foreman

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 14:59:33 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

There are 6 "vise grip style" clamps in this auction, including an 18"
one! $21 shipped. How bad could they be? Could they even be usable?
What about if one considered them to be clamp kits - could they be made
usable?

Lets see, what could be wrong with them:
- the steel could be so inferior to bend or break under load,
- the fit could be so bad that the jaws don't line up,
- the joints could be so loose that the jaws wander,
- the threads could be so rough that adjustment is difficult,
???

How in the world can these be manufactured, shipped across the Pacific,
middlemen be paid, and still only be $21 delivered?

Bob

Those are readily available in stores like Harbor Freight, Menards
(midwest), etc.

They are OK for light clamping but none of the copies work as well as
genuine Vise-Grips from Peterson Mfg. I don't know what the
difference is, but the "real thing" definitely works better when
worked hard.
SteveB

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
There are 6 "vise grip style" clamps in this auction, including an 18"
one! $21 shipped. How bad could they be? Could they even be usable?
What about if one considered them to be clamp kits - could they be made
usable?

Lets see, what could be wrong with them:
- the steel could be so inferior to bend or break under load,
- the fit could be so bad that the jaws don't line up,
- the joints could be so loose that the jaws wander,
- the threads could be so rough that adjustment is difficult,
???

How in the world can these be manufactured, shipped across the Pacific,
middlemen be paid, and still only be $21 delivered?

Bob

Small world.

I currently have won two auctions and bought a total of seven 11R Irwin Vise
Grip clamps for an average of $10 each shipped. I saw the "vise grip style"
clamps, and wouldn't consider them. I have used the real deal for too long.
They last forever, and that is when you find out if you got your money
worth. If you are going to use them once or twice a year, the cheapos will
suffice. If you are going to work them, buy quality and cry only once.

Steve

Stephen Young

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
There are 6 "vise grip style" clamps in this auction, including an 18"
one! $21 shipped. How bad could they be? Could they even be usable?
What about if one considered them to be clamp kits - could they be made
usable?

Lets see, what could be wrong with them:
- the steel could be so inferior to bend or break under load,
- the fit could be so bad that the jaws don't line up,
- the joints could be so loose that the jaws wander,
- the threads could be so rough that adjustment is difficult,
???

How in the world can these be manufactured, shipped across the Pacific,
middlemen be paid, and still only be $21 delivered?

Bob

They twist & bend under load - junk.
Lane

I currently have won two auctions and bought a total of seven 11R Irwin
Vise Grip clamps for an average of $10 each shipped. I saw the "vise grip
style" clamps, and wouldn't consider them. I have used the real deal for
too long. They last forever, and that is when you find out if you got your
money worth. If you are going to use them once or twice a year, the
cheapos will suffice. If you are going to work them, buy quality and cry
only once.

Steve

I agree, I've owned a few non Irwin brand vise grip style clamps, including
a Craftsman one. None of them are worth the money. I insist on buying the
genuine article anytime I need to increase my present collection.

Lane

SteveB

"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote in message

I currently have won two auctions and bought a total of seven 11R Irwin
Vise Grip clamps for an average of $10 each shipped. I saw the "vise
grip style" clamps, and wouldn't consider them. I have used the real
deal for too long. They last forever, and that is when you find out if
you got your money worth. If you are going to use them once or twice a
year, the cheapos will suffice. If you are going to work them, buy
quality and cry only once.

Steve

I agree, I've owned a few non Irwin brand vise grip style clamps,
including a Craftsman one. None of them are worth the money. I insist on
buying the genuine article anytime I need to increase my present
collection.

Lane

AND, unless you lose one, or just do something incredibly stupid, they will
live longer than you will.

Steve

Christopher Tidy

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
There are 6 "vise grip style" clamps in this auction, including an 18"
one! $21 shipped. How bad could they be? Could they even be usable?
What about if one considered them to be clamp kits - could they be made
usable?

Lets see, what could be wrong with them:
- the steel could be so inferior to bend or break under load,
- the fit could be so bad that the jaws don't line up,
- the joints could be so loose that the jaws wander,
- the threads could be so rough that adjustment is difficult,
???

Or all of the above :-(. As people have already said, the Record/Irwin
clamps are great, but there are others out there which look nearly the
same but are junk.

Chris

larry g

If you want some free ones they are in the neighbors field. That is where I
threw the godammed things after they opened during use and inconvenienced me
once to many times.
lg
no neat sig line

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
There are 6 "vise grip style" clamps in this auction, including an 18"
one! $21 shipped. How bad could they be? Could they even be usable?
What about if one considered them to be clamp kits - could they be made
usable?

Lets see, what could be wrong with them:
- the steel could be so inferior to bend or break under load,
- the fit could be so bad that the jaws don't line up,
- the joints could be so loose that the jaws wander,
- the threads could be so rough that adjustment is difficult,
???

How in the world can these be manufactured, shipped across the Pacific,
middlemen be paid, and still only be $21 delivered?

Bob

Cheap Record Tools Hank Gillette Woodworking 1 December 20th 04 12:59 AM
Cheap tools Art Ransom Woodworking 26 November 18th 04 05:13 AM
ebay sucks big time PoP UK diy 28 July 31st 04 01:26 PM
Bloody Ebay Dan Caster Metalworking 6 July 24th 04 02:33 PM
cheap plasma cutter on ebay wallsterr Metalworking 3 March 17th 04 01:18 AM