Gunner

Default OT-Which version of Linux is best?

After discoving a copy of Mandrake 9.1 that a friend had given me was
full of corrupted files...sigh... Im looking for another copy of some
sort of Linux to install on an old Compaq 350mhz 128meg computer.

Ive been putzing around with run from CD Knoppix, which is basicly a
Debian distro and have managed to configure a server, get on line etc
though finding a newsgroup reader has me stumped at the moment..shrug.

Anyways...does anyone have and preferences in a Linux distro for a
beginner? Ive got highspeed access at a friends shop and can download
and burn any of the current versions of Linux

Which one is best, with the simplest learning curve, best hardware
detection ans so forth?

Thanks

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Jamie Hart

Gunner wrote:
After discoving a copy of Mandrake 9.1 that a friend had given me was
full of corrupted files...sigh... Im looking for another copy of some
sort of Linux to install on an old Compaq 350mhz 128meg computer.

With a machine of that vintage, most of the current distro's will work
ok although I would advise against using KDE or GNOME. If you want a
graphical desktop, choose a lightweight one (FVWM is pretty good)

Ive been putzing around with run from CD Knoppix, which is basicly a
Debian distro and have managed to configure a server, get on line etc
though finding a newsgroup reader has me stumped at the moment..shrug.

Thunderbird runs OK on linux/Xwindows.

Anyways...does anyone have and preferences in a Linux distro for a
beginner? Ive got highspeed access at a friends shop and can download
and burn any of the current versions of Linux

The best thing to do is get a LiveCD distro similar to the Knoppix
you've already played with, that way you can try it out without having
to install on a hard drive.

There is a comprehensive list of LiveCD distros at
http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php Take a look and pick a few
to try.

Which one is best, with the simplest learning curve, best hardware
detection ans so forth?

Mandrake (now Mandriva) is still one of the best, if I were you I'd go
for Mandrake 10.1 rather than the just released Mandriva SE2005.

Thanks

You're welcome.
Roger_Nickel

Gunner wrote:
After discoving a copy of Mandrake 9.1 that a friend had given me was
full of corrupted files...sigh... Im looking for another copy of some
sort of Linux to install on an old Compaq 350mhz 128meg computer.

Ive been putzing around with run from CD Knoppix, which is basicly a
Debian distro and have managed to configure a server, get on line etc
though finding a newsgroup reader has me stumped at the moment..shrug.

Anyways...does anyone have and preferences in a Linux distro for a
beginner? Ive got highspeed access at a friends shop and can download
and burn any of the current versions of Linux

Which one is best, with the simplest learning curve, best hardware
detection ans so forth?

Thanks

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Have a look at Xandros. One bootable CD; sets up a virtual disk in memory and
leaves your hard disk alone. Detects all the hardware I have ever tried it with.
Mozilla suite, the GIMP, Open Office and Zine video player all included. If you
like it, you can do a hard disk install and add any Debian packages you want.
You can use apt-get to keep the whole distribution (not just the operating
system) updated. Nothing to lose, I got the disk for nothing from a local
electronics shop.
Roger_Nickel

Roger_Nickel wrote:

Have a look at Xandros. One bootable CD; sets up a virtual disk in
memory and leaves your hard disk alone. Detects all the hardware I have
ever tried it with. Mozilla suite, the GIMP, Open Office and Zine video
player all included. If you like it, you can do a hard disk install and
add any Debian packages you want. You can use apt-get to keep the whole
distribution (not just the operating system) updated. Nothing to lose, I
got the disk for nothing from a local electronics shop.

On a 350 Mhz machine you could look at the XFCE desktop, http://www.xfce.org/ I
used this for several years on an old P133 and it served me well. Gnome/KDE will
be slow on a PII/350
TheAlligator

Roger_Nickel wrote:

On a 350 Mhz machine you could look at the XFCE desktop, http://www.xfce.org/ I
used this for several years on an old P133 and it served me well. Gnome/KDE will
be slow on a PII/350

I used Slackware on an old 386 IBM model 80, which I'm sure is
incredibly slower than 350 - and it ran like a scalded dog. There's
even a version I have on diskette which I believe is called "monkey
linux", sort of a subset, and text interface only. But you could run
the whole computer right from a diskette and do quite a bit of stuff.
IIRC, though it was very sensitive to your configuration and didn't
work on a lot of machines. I really enjoyed Mandrake, even though it
seemed to be sort of "Linux for Dummies". But I was a dummy when it
came to Linux, so it was a good choice for me. If I found out that
there is a version of Firefox for Linux, I think I might just scrap
the whole M$ thing at home and go for it.

Gunner

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 13:38:58 GMT,
(TheAlligator) wrote:

(TheAlligator) wrote:

I used Slackware on an old 386 IBM model 80, which I'm sure is
incredibly slower than 350 - and it ran like a scalded dog. There's
even a version I have on diskette which I believe is called "monkey
linux", sort of a subset, and text interface only.

Ooops. It wasn't Monkey that ran off of a diskette, it was
Mini-Linux. I see that I have copies of both, but now I can't
remember much about Monkey. I do remember that with Slackware, I
settled on Joe as my text-editor of choice, much more useable than
that arcane piece of nonsense that was imported from Unix - can't
remember the name of it.

I downloaded Damn Small Iinux yesterday..seems to run really well on
my laptop. and this box.
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

I have that Compaq 350 flushed and blank, so I will do full installs
on it as Im learning. Run from CD is ok but Im going to immerse
myself in it. Hence Im looking for full distros. Having dial up
sort of limits things a bit. Needing an external modem for most Linux
has slowed me down a bit, but Ive managed to come up with some
externals so now I can get into it.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Longrifleman

TheAlligator wrote:

Roger_Nickel wrote:

[...]

There is a Firefox for Linux. Go here
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ it's an 8.2MB tarball.
the seventh sign

Gunner wrote:
After discoving a copy of Mandrake 9.1 that a friend had given me was
full of corrupted files...sigh... Im looking for another copy of some
sort of Linux to install on an old Compaq 350mhz 128meg computer.

Ive been putzing around with run from CD Knoppix, which is basicly a
Debian distro and have managed to configure a server, get on line etc
though finding a newsgroup reader has me stumped at the moment..shrug.

Anyways...does anyone have and preferences in a Linux distro for a
beginner? Ive got highspeed access at a friends shop and can download
and burn any of the current versions of Linux

Which one is best, with the simplest learning curve, best hardware
detection ans so forth?

Thanks

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Gunner i Hope you think about Novel SuSe Linux 9.x series it works
nicely for me. Available at Best Buys
As for your newsgroup reader I Like thunderbird myself
Bit tricky to install for new guy on the system but you get a nice
reader. and it has spam filters and handles Email as well. set up is a
breeze.

I sword off mandrake after version 8.2. Mandrake is now mandriva and I
still wonder why they have to change their names.

If you do not like SuSe try Redhat's fedora core linux it is the most
like mandrake.

TSS

Gary A. Gorgen

Gunner wrote:
After discoving a copy of Mandrake 9.1 that a friend had given me was
full of corrupted files...sigh... Im looking for another copy of some
sort of Linux to install on an old Compaq 350mhz 128meg computer.

snip

There a number of distrobutions at:
http://www.linuxiso.org/

I've been using RedHat/Fedora an have had good luck with it.
Fedora Core-4 is scheduled to be out June 6, you might want
to wait for that.

As someone else said, use the FVWM window manager.
The Gnome/KDE is really a dog.

I'm running it on a 266MZ P-3 with 128meg laptop.
If you need help with FVWM let me know. There are a
few tricks to get it running right.

--
Gary A. Gorgen | "From ideas to PRODUCTS"
| Tunxis Design Inc.
| Cupertino, Ca. 95014

Anthony

Gunner wrote in
:

After discoving a copy of Mandrake 9.1 that a friend had given me was
full of corrupted files...sigh... Im looking for another copy of some
sort of Linux to install on an old Compaq 350mhz 128meg computer.

Although BD will beg to differ (he's a FreeBSD kinda guy), I found Fedora
to be great. Installed without a hitch on an old PII, easy to get around
in, intuitive. The other thing that I noticed, it is about twice as fast on
that old PII as was Debian.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

http://www.machines-cnc.net:81/
Longrifleman

Gunner wrote:

After discoving a copy of Mandrake 9.1 that a friend had given me was
full of corrupted files...sigh... Im looking for another copy of some
sort of Linux to install on an old Compaq 350mhz 128meg computer.

As another reply posted, with a system that old, better to use one of the
lightweight desktop services, anything other than KDE or Gnome, like Icewm,
Blackbox, etc.

Ive been putzing around with run from CD Knoppix, which is basicly a
Debian distro and have managed to configure a server, get on line etc
though finding a newsgroup reader has me stumped at the moment..shrug.

Try slrn or pan. They're a little tougher to learn, but are extremely
powerful in their capabilities.

Anyways...does anyone have and preferences in a Linux distro for a
beginner? Ive got highspeed access at a friends shop and can download
and burn any of the current versions of Linux

Which one is best, with the simplest learning curve, best hardware
detection ans so forth?

I started out with Mandrake 5 years ago, but after about 3 or 4 months, went
to SuSE and have stayed with it since then. If you get the 'Pro' version
boxed set, you'll get two fantastic books along with 2 DVD's (one contains
all the sources, an extreme plus IMO), and 5 CD's (the CD's don't have the
sources, and don't have quite as much of the 'stuff' the DVD has, but they'll
get everything started just fine). If you do decide to try SuSE and need any
help, holler back here and I'll e-mail you and get things going.
If you really want a look at what's out there though, go to
www.distrowatch.com and you'll get an idea of what you might want, rather
than just ideas from users of certain distro's.
TheAlligator

Gunner wrote:

After discoving a copy of Mandrake 9.1 that a friend had given me was
full of corrupted files...sigh... Im looking for another copy of some
sort of Linux to install on an old Compaq 350mhz 128meg computer.

That's a shame. I had a free copy of Mandrake 9.1 and I really liked
it, much more so than Red Hat. My first version of Linux was an early
version of Slackware, which I downloaded for weeks as diskette images
at 28.8. After a while I gave up, as I really don't have the time to
spend with it. I saw a couple of cd's around here a few weeks ago
that are just loaded with Linux-compatible software including a clone
of Office (can't remember the brand name). I'm sure if I had the time
to spend, I would be able to migrate away from M$ forever. Maybe you
should ask around - surely someone you know has a good copy of
Mandrake. It installed so easily and worked on every hardware config
I had available - I was really impressed. The only slight problem I
remember is that it would only do printing on a network using the
Appletalk protocol. That may have changed since then.

JockoBailey

"Gunner" wrote in message
After discoving a copy of Mandrake 9.1 that a friend had given me was
full of corrupted files...sigh... Im looking for another copy of some
sort of Linux to install on an old Compaq 350mhz 128meg computer.

Ive been putzing around with run from CD Knoppix, which is basicly a
Debian distro and have managed to configure a server, get on line etc
though finding a newsgroup reader has me stumped at the moment..shrug.

Anyways...does anyone have and preferences in a Linux distro for a
beginner? Ive got highspeed access at a friends shop and can download
and burn any of the current versions of Linux

Which one is best, with the simplest learning curve, best hardware
detection ans so forth?

Thanks

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

I've tried many distros and found Ubuntu the best.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Sylvan Butler

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 10:07:33 GMT, Gunner wrote:
After discoving a copy of Mandrake 9.1 that a friend had given me was
full of corrupted files...sigh... Im looking for another copy of some

Count your blessings.

Ive been putzing around with run from CD Knoppix, which is basicly a

I used to use Redhat, from which Mandrake originally forked. I started
with a pre-release beta of RedHat 2.0. It was a big improvement over
the Slackware I had been running since 1992. But RedHat (and the
derivatives) was always a huge pain to upgrade big parts (like the main
libraries). I had been putting off the upgrade to 6.0 for some time,
did one system, and it was as painful as I had been dreading.

Then I tried Knoppix, soon installed it to hard disk (Knoppix is a great
way to install Debian) and never looked back.

I highly recommend Debian and its derivatives.

Which one is best, with the simplest learning curve, best hardware
detection ans so forth?

My two top choices are knoppix or ubuntu. Both work quite well.
Knoppix is closer to pure debian. But many of the debian developers are
now working for ubuntu.

If there was something you did not like about Knoppix, try Ubuntu.
Otherwise, if Knoppix worked for you then stick with it. Install it to
hard disk, add or upgrade whatever packages you like. (Eg,
mozilla-thunderbird for a mail and news client comparable to outlook
express. I prefer thunderbird for e-mail, and slrn for news.)

sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Gunner

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 14:06:06 -0600, Sylvan Butler
wrote:

[...]

Yesterday I downloaded ubuntu iso and wrote it to cd. When I got home
last night..the CD couldnt be read. Sigh.

I did have better luck with Damned Small Linux which is a 50mb distro
Knoppix based. It absolutly flys on a 250mhz laptop, and is weighted
for dsl/cable modem, with Firefox, Samba etc. It looks pretty good for
a CD based Linux. Ill try writing another CD today with ubuntu if I
get a chance to get down to my buddies shop.

Gunner, still on the hunt.

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Big-T

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 14:27:20 +0000, Gunner wrote:

SNIP

Yesterday I downloaded ubuntu iso and wrote it to cd. When I got home
last night..the CD couldnt be read. Sigh.

I did have better luck with Damned Small Linux which is a 50mb distro
Knoppix based. It absolutly flys on a 250mhz laptop, and is weighted
for dsl/cable modem, with Firefox, Samba etc. It looks pretty good for
a CD based Linux. Ill try writing another CD today with ubuntu if I
get a chance to get down to my buddies shop.

Gunner, still on the hunt.

Just a heads up. When downloading ISO files. Especially the big ones. Use
the FTP sites and an FTP program if you are using a Windows box to
get the files... It seems that downloading using HTTP lacks in error
checking.
YMMV
--
Big-T

lionslair at consolidated dot net

wrote:

[...]

Have you gone to the modem companies sites for linix type drivers ? maybe
the internal modems can be driven with custom from their site drivers.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

JohnM

wrote:

[...]

In my limited experience it's the "winmodem" type that makes the
trouble.. apparently requires windows for its driver or somesuch hogwash..

John
Sylvan Butler

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 22:18:46 -0500, lionslair at consolidated dot net "lionslair at consolidated dot net" wrote:
Gunner wrote:
Yesterday I downloaded ubuntu iso and wrote it to cd. When I got home
last night..the CD couldnt be read. Sigh.

Ouch!

I wonder if you are getting download errors? I always look for an "MD5"
before downloading, so that I can verify the file after download.

I did have better luck with Damned Small Linux which is a 50mb distro

Yes, D.S.L. is pretty good. It can be installed to hard disk also, and a
command given to make it into an upgradable debian install.

One caution re. D.S.L., is that some/many of the programs are NOT from a
debian package, so making it into real debian can be painful. I've
never had any problems with Knoppix.

But Ubuntu is pretty.

sdb

sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com

In article ,
Gunner wrote:
snip--

Which one is best, with the simplest learning curve, best hardware
detection ans so forth?

dunno which is best
knoppix is hard to beat for hardware detection and ease of use
gets boring running slowly off CD
but it does survive power and harddisk crashes

SUSE might be a good bet

but if you have the time, the inclination
try slackware

it will detect little hardware automagically
it will make you work hard, and curse harder

but it will do whatever you need, once it trains you to ask nicely

Ron DeBlock

Gunner,

The question you asked often leads to a holy war in the Linux forums. Be
prepared ;-)

I use Fedora Core 3 (4 due out soon), mostly because I've used Red Hat
distros commercially for a long time. I'm happy with it. My son has
PCLinux, a live CD distro, that he uses on his laptop, that seems to be
another good one. Definitely go with one of the more popular distros for
better support. See http://distrowatch.com/ for choices.

For a newsreader, Thunderbird is OK (as others suggested), but I use Pan
(http://pan.rebelbase.com/).

As others mentioned, your machine won't perform well with a GUI running.
The X Window System is a pig, and Gnome and KDE add more bloat. It will
run just fine using only the command line, but that will change your
choice of applications. Pine for email (supports newsgroups, too), slrn
for news.

--
Ron DeBlock N2JSO
If God had meant for Man to see the sunrise,

Gunner

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 12:57:49 GMT, Ron DeBlock
wrote:

Gunner,

The question you asked often leads to a holy war in the Linux forums. Be
prepared ;-)

Ive noticed. Even in the responses here, there is little consensus.

I use Fedora Core 3 (4 due out soon), mostly because I've used Red Hat
distros commercially for a long time. I'm happy with it. My son has
PCLinux, a live CD distro, that he uses on his laptop, that seems to be
another good one. Definitely go with one of the more popular distros for
better support. See http://distrowatch.com/ for choices.

For a newsreader, Thunderbird is OK (as others suggested), but I use Pan
(http://pan.rebelbase.com/).

As others mentioned, your machine won't perform well with a GUI running.
The X Window System is a pig, and Gnome and KDE add more bloat. It will
run just fine using only the command line, but that will change your
choice of applications. Pine for email (supports newsgroups, too), slrn
for news.

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Nate Weber

Ron DeBlock wrote:

As others mentioned, your machine won't perform well with a GUI running.
The X Window System is a pig, and Gnome and KDE add more bloat. It will
run just fine using only the command line, but that will change your
choice of applications. Pine for email (supports newsgroups, too), slrn
for news.

eh, KDE runs fine on my pII 400.
I shut it down whenever I'm building large programs and restart it every
week or so to clear it out, but I haven't noticed any big performance
hits for normal day to day use.

Nate

--
Http://www.Weber-Automation.net:8000
Gunner

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 08:59:41 +0100, Jamie Hart

but if you have the time, the inclination
try slackware

it will detect little hardware automagically
it will make you work hard, and curse harder

but it will do whatever you need, once it trains you to ask nicely

Amen to that. If you really ant to get to know how linux functions, and
have time and patience to spare, you could go for LFS from
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Be warned, it's not for the faint hearted, but once you've built an LFS
system, troubleshooting any other distro is a piece of cake.

Perhaps in a year or so when Ive got a better grasp on Linux.

Im looking for the Cessna 150 sort of linux, not the 737 version.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Richard Lewis

Win95, of course.

You can still find copies of it for a buck at any Goodwill store and
most fleamarkets. Hell, you can download it off most file sharing
nets.

ral

Impact

Richard Lewis wrote:

Win95, of course.

You can still find copies of it for a buck at any Goodwill store and
most fleamarkets. Hell, you can download it off most file sharing
nets.

You know of a 'Linux' distro called "Win95"? Not too swooft are ya?

Richard Lewis

Impact wrote:

You know of a 'Linux' distro called "Win95"? Not too swooft are ya?

You read that post and it went right over *your* head.

What was that you said about "swooft"?

ral

Big-T

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 10:07:33 +0000, Gunner wrote:

After discoving a copy of Mandrake 9.1 that a friend had given me was
full of corrupted files...sigh... Im looking for another copy of some
sort of Linux to install on an old Compaq 350mhz 128meg computer.

SNIP

Which one is best, with the simplest learning curve, best hardware
detection ans so forth?

Thanks

Gunner

My 2 cents worth,
I have a background in UNIX as I used an old Sun 100 (Sun's first
computer) back in the early 80's. Been a long time ago and early Linux
and GUI just did not cut it until recently. So I had Windows like
everybody else. I forgot allot and had to relearn stuff. Over the last
year I have converted most of my old hardware over to Linux. Which one is
best? Well that depends on what you want to do. What I have found...
Mandrake at least up through 9.2 is pretty user friendly and installs
well. Great for a work station, not so good for a net server. The GUI on
Mandrake is a real pig though. Do not use it on old hardware as it will
kill it. KDE is slow and even the cut down(Light) Gui's offered will bury
an under 500mhz machine. For a home machine on old hardware my favorite is
Slackware 9.1, It is a single CD distribution, and most of the basic stuff
installs just fine. May have to tweek sound cards and such, but I have had
no problem getting online and up and running with factory setup/nothing
fancy. One thing Slackware does is it handles some of the internals just
like freeBSD. A much simpler approach. Non of the other Linux
distributions do that. It lacks those GUI interfaces for tweeking the
system, you have to go in and use an editor to change system files, so
that may drive you crasy at first. It will force you to understand what
your machine is doing and how. But once you get it down you will not want
it any other way.

Slackware 9.1 is very friendly to old boxes and even runs KDE on
mine. Now my brother hosts web sites and has DNS servers and
maintains his own boxes on the backbone of the net. He and all of that
crowd use the Red Hat / Fedora that is supported by the Linux community
instead of the commercial Red Hat Linux. That seems to be the one to use
for internet servers unless you go to BSD which is also very popular and
widely used.

I still have an old Win98 box I use for testing. And I plan to build one
more Windows box using XP Pro as I have one critical application that is
still not yet ported to Linux. It will be my last Win box though. As by
the time that one is used up the port will be done. I plan on building a
high performance Linux box here pretty soon. A multi disc using sata raid
and 64 bit chips etc... Will either go to Slackware 10.xx or Fedora if
that does not work out.

Good luck,
--
Big-T
--
News Group: misc.survivalism
Originating from a ©Win-Doz-Free-Zone:

Artemia Salina

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 10:07:33 +0000, Gunner wrote:

Which one is best, with the simplest learning curve, best hardware
detection ans so forth?

Difficult question to answer, especially in a metalworking newsgroup,
because different distros offer different capabilities, or strong points
and weak points. Most people haven't tried all of the distros available
so they can only offer you opinions about the ones they use. This always
leads to arguments about which is "best."

You'd do better to read a site like http://distrowatch.com/ which has
reviews on a number of different Linux distros with comparisons.