Default acetelene tanks

I ran across a tank the other day that I THINK is an acetelene tank -
one of the little portable jobs. What numbers should be stamped in the
top of the tank if it is an acetelene tank? it is 7.5" X 24" to the
base of the valve and weighs 33 lb empty. has
markings(something)CC-3AA180
675809
10T72
LCCO
462
467

If not acetetene, anyone know what it is??

Thanks
Jim Stewart

Grant Erwin wrote:

It isn't so much the stampings as the fitting. Does your acetylene
regulator
thread into it? If so, it is very likely an acetylene tank, since the
only other tanks I know of with that fitting are propane. - GWE

And if the valve stem is just a little square
shank with no knob, it's almost certainly an
acetylene tank.

wrote:

I ran across a tank the other day that I THINK is an acetelene tank -
one of the little portable jobs. What numbers should be stamped in the
top of the tank if it is an acetelene tank? it is 7.5" X 24" to the
base of the valve and weighs 33 lb empty. has
markings(something)CC-3AA180
675809
10T72
LCCO
462
467

If not acetetene, anyone know what it is??

Thanks

wallster

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Grant Erwin wrote:

It isn't so much the stampings as the fitting. Does your acetylene
regulator
thread into it? If so, it is very likely an acetylene tank, since the
only other tanks I know of with that fitting are propane. - GWE

not always, if the tank is a "B" cylinder, most acetylene regulators wont
fit without an adaptor like this:
http://www.arizonatools.com/catalog/detail/16006/
The "B" cylinder holds 40 cu. ft. They look like this.
http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/we...ml?id=3D6nV5uX

good luck,
walt

Grant Erwin wrote:

It isn't so much the stampings as the fitting. Does your acetylene
regulator
thread into it? If so, it is very likely an acetylene tank, since the
only other tanks I know of with that fitting are propane. - GWE

not always, if the tank is a "B" cylinder, most acetylene regulators wont
fit without an adaptor like this:
http://www.arizonatools.com/catalog/detail/16006/
The "B" cylinder holds 40 cu. ft. They look like this.
http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/we...ml?id=3D6nV5uX

good luck,
walt

It has a knob on the valve. It is bigger than a "B" tank and was
painted silver.
I strongly suspect it is a CO2 tank.

Jim Stewart

Grant Erwin wrote:

It isn't so much the stampings as the fitting. Does your acetylene
regulator
thread into it? If so, it is very likely an acetylene tank, since the
only other tanks I know of with that fitting are propane. - GWE

not always, if the tank is a "B" cylinder, most acetylene regulators wont
fit without an adaptor like this:
http://www.arizonatools.com/catalog/detail/16006/
The "B" cylinder holds 40 cu. ft. They look like this.
http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/we...ml?id=3D6nV5uX

Careful how you edit your posts. I did not write that.

wallster

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message

Careful how you edit your posts. I did not write that.

sorry Jim

walt

wrote:

I ran across a tank the other day that I THINK is an acetelene tank -
one of the little portable jobs. What numbers should be stamped in the
top of the tank if it is an acetelene tank? it is 7.5" X 24" to the
base of the valve and weighs 33 lb empty. has
markings(something)CC-3AA180
675809
10T72
LCCO
462
467

If not acetetene, anyone know what it is??

Thanks

Acetelene tanks have some sort of "matrix" in them and contain
acetone - this should make the tank heavier and might dampen the
"ring" of the empty tank?

Left sit in the sun it developed a bit of pressure, and when I cracked
the valve there was no odour - so it pretty well rules out acetelene,
I would think.

Acetelene tanks have some sort of "matrix" in them and contain
acetone - this should make the tank heavier and might dampen the
"ring" of the empty tank?

You're right. They're filled with a porous concrete and this is
saturated with acetone, and the acetylene is dissolved into the
acetone. Makes things safe at the pressures we have to store the stuff
at. Free acetylene is dangerous above 15 psi.
You sure wouldn't want to fill anything else with acetylene.

Dan

Shawn

wrote in message
I ran across a tank the other day that I THINK is an acetelene tank -
one of the little portable jobs. What numbers should be stamped in the
top of the tank if it is an acetelene tank? it is 7.5" X 24" to the
base of the valve and weighs 33 lb empty. has
markings(something)CC-3AA180
675809
10T72
LCCO
462
467

If not acetetene, anyone know what it is??

Thanks

I can't decipher the whole thing but it looks as if the last hydro test was
done October 1972, also done two times before that (April 1967 and April
1962).

Shawn

What color is the tank?

If black, it's likely an acetylene tank, if silver a CO2 or other inert
gas tank, and if green it's an oxygen tank.

Then too, all of my acetylene tanks have a flat top and bottom due to
the presence of an external shroud on the tank intended to shield the
valve from physical damage.

Harry C.

F/S Water tanks and other water bottling stuff JohnF Metalworking 1 May 20th 05 01:09 AM
Domestic Oil Tanks? Pepper UK diy 8 May 7th 05 11:14 PM
A Use for Defunct (small) Propane Tanks Stormin Mormon Home Repair 13 June 3rd 04 03:55 PM
OLD use for 20 Lb propane tanks ..... Metalworking 5 September 8th 03 06:57 PM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM