Lane

Default OT - Seeking Recommendations for a Decent Weed Wacker (Metal Content)

I'm tired of nursing along my 10 year old Homelite string trimmer. The
plastic choke rod broke last summer and you can't buy another one without
buying a whole carb. Yea I could probably make one, but....

I can get it started with starting fluid, but even then it isn't as powerful
as it used to be. Besides, I hate the head that holds the string.. Bought a
replacement one that you manually put the string through, but it's almost as
much a PITA as the original head. Here are some Brands that I know are
supposed to be good, Jonsered, Stihl, Husqvarna, and Shindaiwa.

I'd like to stay under $250 or so in price. I want a head that works
reliably, even after several years of use if that is at all possible. It
will be used around the house and yard, occasionally on green blackberries,
not the hard woody stuff. But would like to be able to change heads to
something stronger for that capability too.

Would like to hear about your experiences with any models of the brands I
mentioned above. Or if there is another brand you think I should look at
feel free.

Thanks
Lane

Gerald Miller

On Tue, 24 May 2005 18:40:12 -0700, "Lane" lane (no spam) at
copperaccents dot com wrote:

Would like to hear about your experiences with any models of the brands I
mentioned above. Or if there is another brand you think I should look at
feel free.

Thanks
Lane

Echo have been highly recommended, that said, my homelite is the best
value I've seen in a long time - I bought it used two years ago. It
still had most of the original line on the spool and they sold it to
me for $2 because it was leaking oil! I suspect they were using a 3:1
mix.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
larry g

Lane
I have a Stihl with the geared head. I don't use string but the head with
the plastic blades. I sure like it and it does a very good job.
lg
no neat sig line
"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote in message
[...]

I've had real good luck with the stihl fs80 very easy to change string
and the heads last a long time also very easy to advance the string.
They are easy to
start and the engine is used on a bunch of other stihl machines so
parts are readily available. I am a golf course mechanic and I think I
know a good tool.We have several at my course and I also have one at
home I have ten acres and I use it wherever I can't get to with my
tractor or walk behind mower

Vince Iorio

Get a 4-cycle one. I don't remember the make of mine, but it was the
best one I ever used. I pulled it out this spring, topped off the half
tank of gas, and checked the oil. It started (and continued to run)
after about 6 or 8 pulls. And took one or two pulls to start later
after it had cooled down.

Vince

Lane wrote:

[...]

JohnM

Lane wrote:
[...]

I got one of those heads that use three serrated plastic blades for
mine, it works good. Well, it does on the rare occasion I get the thing
out..

John

Tom Dacon

I just bought a 4-cycle Husqvarna 324L last weekend, and it's a class act.
Quiet, powerful, and I can put a blade attachment on it instead of the
string head if I need to.

Tom Dacon

[...]

lionslair at consolidated dot net

Lane wrote:

[...]

I have a nice "Husky" model - just under the top Pro model - it is the second tier pro model.
It runs nicely.
STHL also has them.

Check out the local vendors or scope out the yard working teams...

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Anthony

"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote in
:

Good question Lane,
I'm also about to replace my old Echo which IIRC is about 17-19 years old,
and has been heavily used during that time. It will be hard to beat the
service that this trimmer has given. It will also be hard to steer to
something other than an Echo, based on experience. I'll be watching this
thread also.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

http://www.machines-cnc.net:81/

Lane

"Anthony" wrote in message
"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote in
:

Good question Lane,
I'm also about to replace my old Echo which IIRC is about 17-19 years old,
and has been heavily used during that time. It will be hard to beat the
service that this trimmer has given. It will also be hard to steer to
something other than an Echo, based on experience. I'll be watching this
thread also.

--
Anthony

I'm going out today to touch and feel some trimmers after reading several
posts here and on a commercial lawn service forum that I found last night.

The new Echo's aren't near as good as the old one which you had. The brands
that are highly rated now by the boys that use them everyday, all day a
Husqvarna, Shindaiwa, Redmax and Stihl.

Thanks for all the posts, appreciate it much.

Lane

Eric R Snow

[...]

Lane- I have and love my Ryobi 4-stroke weed whacker. It's a model
875R. One of the neat things about it is that the shaft seperates so
that different attachments can be put on. So, I take the string head
off and put on the blade head. I modified it to take 7 1/4" skillsaw
blades. I buy the cheap carbide toothed ones for about 4 bucks. It
will saw through a two inch alder. Salmon berries and blackberries are
no match for it. The string head will go through green blackberries. I
use a star shaped cross section line that works better than the round
line. The Ryobi string head is made so you can poke the line in a hole
and wind it in instead of taking the head apart. I take the head apart
anyway though because my hands don't work so good and it is easier for
me to do it that way. I've had the Ryobi for 5 or 6 years now. It
still runs great. And one big advantage of the 4-stroke, besides not
mixing oil and gas, and the better mileage, is that the torque curve
is flatter. So when it bogs down in heavy stuff it will keep on
cutting rather than stalling.
Eric R Snow
Mark

I'm swimming against the grain, here, but have been beating the crap
out of 2 Ryobi trimmers for years, now, the latest one (because i wanted
the 2-piece shaft to add roto tiller attachment) from harbor fright for
under 100.00.

I recommend the echo head (from most dealers) into which you stuff
pre-cut pieces of line, like the chinese finger-cuff.

I recommend the shaped (not round or square) line, which has sharp
cutting edges. Some don't like this, as it has higher wind resistance
than round stuff, but I love it.

just my 1.6 cents / mark

Lane wrote:
[...]

ATP*

"Mark" wrote in message
I'm swimming against the grain, here, but have been beating the crap
out of 2 Ryobi trimmers for years, now, the latest one (because i wanted
the 2-piece shaft to add roto tiller attachment) from harbor fright for
under 100.00.

I'm generally not a Ryobi fan, but I've been using one I bought for $79 at
Costco for about 5 years with zero problems, and I do a lot of trimming. We
even had one at work we got more than a few years out of.

Lane wrote:
[...]

JR North

No need to buy anything. Gas trimmers are always poking out of dumpsters
somewhere. Carb gets funky, and it's tossed. A little diving, snag one,
hose out the carb, and your'e good to go.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Lane wrote:
[...]

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Lane

"JR North" wrote in message
No need to buy anything. Gas trimmers are always poking out of dumpsters
somewhere. Carb gets funky, and it's tossed. A little diving, snag one,
hose out the carb, and your'e good to go.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

I've never seen one. Must live in the wrong part of the country I guess....

Lane

Gunner

On Wed, 25 May 2005 19:34:55 -0700, JR North
wrote:

No need to buy anything. Gas trimmers are always poking out of dumpsters
somewhere. Carb gets funky, and it's tossed. A little diving, snag one,
hose out the carb, and your'e good to go.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Swap meets are good sources too. I got my $5 Mitsubishi there about 10
yrs ago. Now the gas tank has split, and Im not sure if I can find a
replacement.

Gunner

Lane wrote:
[...]

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Mark

Carbs need more than hosing out. Rubber diaphragm gets stiff with
the alcohol in today's gas, and just doesn't shake like it used to.
Carb kits are cheap, however... / mark

Lane wrote:

[...]

ListedinBody

On Tue, 24 May 2005 18:40:12 -0700, "Lane" lane (no spam) at
copperaccents dot com wrote:

I'm tired of nursing along my 10 year old Homelite string trimmer. The
plastic choke rod broke last summer and you can't buy another one without
buying a whole carb. Yea I could probably make one, but....

Stihl, Echo, or possibly Husqvarna.

I started changing to Echo (local Home Depot's carry it) products a
few years ago and I haven't looked back. Put you back around $200 for
a straight shaft string trimmer. Always starts. Stays running.
Accepts most standard accessories (plastic blades, brush blades,
replacement heads, ect). I consider Stihl products equal quality.
Husqvarna is probally up there too, but I haven't had a chance to play
with them yet.

Bob Engelhardt

Tom Dacon wrote:
I just bought a 4-cycle Husqvarna 324L ...

'Year before I bought a Husqvarna, don't rememeber the model, but that
doesn't make a difference for my point. Which is: the string feeds MUCH
too readily. I refilled it several times before testing it. The spring
that is compressed to allow the spool to retract and feed more string
is much too weak. It feeds just with contact with heavy weeds!

I went back to the hardware store where I bought it: "too late", out of
waranty. I wrote Husqvarna a nice "help me" letter and didn't even get
a canned response. I won't be buying Husqvarna again.

YMMV,
Bob

Lane

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Tom Dacon wrote:
I just bought a 4-cycle Husqvarna 324L ...

'Year before I bought a Husqvarna, don't rememeber the model, but that
doesn't make a difference for my point. Which is: the string feeds MUCH
too readily. I refilled it several times before testing it. The spring
that is compressed to allow the spool to retract and feed more string is
much too weak. It feeds just with contact with heavy weeds!

I went back to the hardware store where I bought it: "too late", out of
waranty. I wrote Husqvarna a nice "help me" letter and didn't even get a
canned response. I won't be buying Husqvarna again.

YMMV,
Bob

Very interesting. I am the OP, I went and bought a Husqvarna 323L because of
very high ratings by commercial lawn & landscaping people (I read through
several online forums). I brought it home gased it up and started it. Ran
good, nice feel, light, and very little vibration. I got to hitting the
weeds and tall grass. My right arm and elbow was feeling very hot. Some of
the exhaust gases was blowing up onto my arm! After about 10 mintues I
couldn't take it anymore. I called the 1-800 number that came with the unit.
After being on hold for about 5 minutes and a somewhat lengthy conversation
she finally admitted to me that yes, they have had some complaints about the
hot exhaust. I returned the unit and went to a different dealer and bought a
Stihl FS55. It is a very nice machine and a little cheaper than the Husky.

BTW the other brands that were also rated highly with commercial people
along with the Husky were; Stihl, RedMax, and Shindaiwa. I chose Husky
because the store was the closest to me. I don't live in a major
metropolitan area. The next choice was Stihl, then Redmax and Shindaiwa;
merely by distance to the servicing dealer. I stayed away from Echo due to
the number of negatives I've heard about them, seems like they've had a
serious decline in quality over the last few years. Even the dealer I went
to, if you read between the lines of what he was telling me, admitted to
"some problems". Plus, he was the only dealer that told me not to use gas
over 30 days old, and never from a metal can. Their carbs are just too picky
I guess.

I thank all those that responded to my OP. Hopefully my information will be
of some help to others who are shopping.

Lane

John Holbrook

"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote in message
I'm tired of nursing along my 10 year old Homelite string trimmer. The
plastic choke rod broke last summer and you can't buy another one without
buying a whole carb. Yea I could probably make one, but....

Would like to hear about your experiences with any models of the brands I
mentioned above. Or if there is another brand you think I should look at
feel free.

Thanks
Lane

I recommend Echo string trimmers. I mow 5 township cemeteries, and use a
trimmer to trim around all the monuments (gravestones). I use a John Deere
trimmer, (which is an Echo that's been private labeled) that is about 6
years old, and has literally hundreds of hours on it. It's on its third
string spool, but the engine still starts and runs like a new one. This
trimmer gets more use in one season than most home trimmers do in their
lifetime. Like Timex, it "takes a licking and keeps on ticking".

John

B.B.

wrote:

No need to buy anything. Gas trimmers are always poking out of dumpsters
somewhere. Carb gets funky, and it's tossed. A little diving, snag one,
hose out the carb, and your'e good to go.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Swap meets are good sources too. I got my $5 Mitsubishi there about 10
yrs ago. Now the gas tank has split, and Im not sure if I can find a
replacement.

Gunner

Mustard bottle and epoxy--build your own! (:

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
B.B.

In article ,
"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote:

[...]

I'm going out today to touch and feel some trimmers after reading several
posts here and on a commercial lawn service forum that I found last night.

The new Echo's aren't near as good as the old one which you had. The brands
that are highly rated now by the boys that use them everyday, all day a
Husqvarna, Shindaiwa, Redmax and Stihl.

OK, so I got to this thread late. I vote for Stihl, if it makes any
difference. As long as you stick with their brand of oil, get new gas
each season, and keep your air filter clean the engine and carb should
last pretty much forever. And I prefer the way they sound, personally.
Oh, and if you can get a non-vented gas can and shake the crap out of
it before each fueling you'll prolong the fuel's (and carb's) life.
Just make sure you fuel up outside!

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
~Roy~

YOur 110% right about Echo anyhting any more. Before they changed over
to their ECO carb they were some good little engines, now they are a
constant pain in the neck. I bought a Echo back pack blower and had
nothing but troubles, returned it and bought a stihl BP340, and it has
yet to miss a beat. The Stihl cost less than $60 more than the Echo
cost....

I just recently bought a weed wacker. I had looked at all of them from
BOlems, troybuilt, Homelite, Ryobi, Shindawa, Husky, Echo, Toro,
Poulan Weedeater) and Stihls. I got the Stihl FS45 on sale for $120,
and its super. I also have two Jonsered brush type with bike type
handle bars (40 and 60 cc engines) which are opver 20 years old and
work just fine, but much to large and heavy to use for general
trimming. The Stihl FS45 is light, powerfull and its head is great.
Refilling it with line is a snap, and with about 20 tanks of fuel put
through it already it has yet to screwup on the line feed, even when
it gets packed with mud and wet grass etc, as I use it in and around
my pond a lot.

For the money, the FS35 Stihl is hard to beat, .080" line, tad over 1
hp, lightweight, balanced nicely and 2 year no hassle warranty with
Stihl.

n Tue, 31 May 2005 00:41:42 -0500, "B.B."
u wrote:

===In article ,
=== "Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote:
===
===[...]
===
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Wizman

I am very happy with my cub cadet. Starts nice, cuts through everything but
Pita head, must change. It only cost about $160 and the crank and major
components start as Forgings, not cast. For only about $160 and made in the
USA, its a good buy.
John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:39:39 GMT, "John Wizman"
wrote:

I am very happy with my cub cadet. Starts nice, cuts through everything but
Pita head, must change. It only cost about $160 and the crank and major
components start as Forgings, not cast. For only about $160 and made in the
USA, its a good buy.

Another MTD product.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX