Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
J. Nielsen

Default Friday Challenge.

cross posted to rcm. Thanks for letting us use the dropbox

Inspired by Anthony, here's another "How would you do it?"

A couple of years ago we got an email from a customer who wanted a =
special
part grounded. After taking one look at the pics I thought "No way!" =
The
part was impossible to grind, at least on our equipment. =20
I called the customer back and told him: "Sorry, but this is out of our
league" and quickly forgot the whole thing - or so I thought, because =
later
that day the light bulb inside my head actually began emitting light. A
flickering and shimmering glow, but still a light.

I had an idea!

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/ Search for "pigtail" (four files)=20

About the part:

The "pigtail" is a core for a mold, forming a helix hollow inside the
finished molded part.
The size is approx. 3" dia. at the base, the length is about 7" and
the tail is 3/4" thick. The last two inches of the tail has a taper.
The pigtail is bolted on the flange of a guide spindle, and runs inside=
large multi-thread bronze nut. When the core is pulled from the mold, =
the
threads provide the necessary rotating motion to unscrew the core.

So here's the deal:

The part was to be grounded on the cylindrical (white) part of the tail
roundness +- 0.0005" as it had to seal against the stripping plate.
The fillet at the base, and the tapered part should also have a "grind
quality" surface finish. Actual size was not too important.

There was a catch, though. The roundness of the tail was measured
perpendicular to the centerline of the helix, not the centerline of the =
part.

The part came from the customer hardned and pre-milled to about 0.05
oversize. Since they only had 3axis VMC, the part was milled from four =
sides
rotating the part 90 degrees each time. (I did suggest the part could be
milled to finished size, but they didn't think it was possible to achieve=
the
necessary finish/roundness.)

The grinder I used was a Jungner US-450 CNC with four axis - think of =
an
ordinary lathe, and swap X with Z & Y with X. Tool up&down =3D third =
axis [X]
Spindle =3D fourth axis [b] ) =20
=20
The Siemens 810 control only allow for three axis to move simultaneously.

To make an already too long story short; I somehow managed to solve the
task, but it did make my head hurt at times. =20

How would you have done it?

For those interested in the challenge, I'll post the solution on Monday.
(not like that spoil sport & teaser, Anthony) G =20
--=20

-JN-