Rex

Default Hardinege Speey closer?

With my latest lathe buy, I got a Hardinge 5C collet speed closer. This
has rubber-coted wheel concentric with the spindle. I can't figure out
how it works. Does anything else go with it, or do I just need that
and a collet?

Rex B
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Rex" wrote in message
nk.net...
With my latest lathe buy, I got a Hardinge 5C collet speed closer. This
has rubber-coted wheel concentric with the spindle. I can't figure out
how it works. Does anything else go with it, or do I just need that
and a collet?

Rex B

I gather it's a Hardinge-Sjogren. If so, or one identical, you have
everything you need (with the addition of any 5C collet, that is), assuming
it will mount to your spindle. Turning the rubber wheel clockwise as you
face it tightens the collet, and reversing the procedure releases it.
They're not quite as convenient as a lever operated closer, but much easier
to install and remove, leaving nothing in the way when not in service.
There's no reason you shouldn't expect perfect performance from it, assuming
it's in good condition. I bought mine new back in '67 and it's still going
strong, including having been used commercially for 16 years.

Harold

Rex B

Cool, I'll go pick up a couple collets to check it.

Thanks, Harold.

- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive