Steve Lusardi

Default Halocarbon oil and test of reason

I have acquired 4 Sperry marine gyro compasses, which I am refreshing. Part
of the task is thorough cleaning and the replacement of the suspension oil
in the gyrosphere, as well as complete recalibration. According to Sperry,
the suspention fluid is a blend of Halocarbon 6.3 oil (www.halocarbon.com )
and Dow Corning 200 silicone 1 centistoke fluid at a ratio of 6 to 1. So I
asked for a quote for 10 liters of this Halocarbon 6.3 oil. I just received
a quote of $72.10 per pound, which is sold in gallon containers weighing 16
lbs each. This equates to $288 per liter I think. My question to you all is
should I be so shocked? Do you know why this is priced so high? Thanks in
advance.
Steve

Jim Stewart

Steve Lusardi wrote:

I have acquired 4 Sperry marine gyro compasses, which I am refreshing. Part
of the task is thorough cleaning and the replacement of the suspension oil
in the gyrosphere, as well as complete recalibration. According to Sperry,
the suspention fluid is a blend of Halocarbon 6.3 oil (www.halocarbon.com )
and Dow Corning 200 silicone 1 centistoke fluid at a ratio of 6 to 1. So I
asked for a quote for 10 liters of this Halocarbon 6.3 oil. I just received
a quote of $72.10 per pound, which is sold in gallon containers weighing 16
lbs each. This equates to $288 per liter I think. My question to you all is
should I be so shocked? Do you know why this is priced so high? Thanks in
advance.
Steve

It sounds about as pricy as synthetic
vacuum pump oil. Small market, large
R&D investment, the people that need it
are willing to pay the price.

jim rozen

In article , Steve Lusardi says...

...This equates to $288 per liter I think. My question to you all is
should I be so shocked?

If this is the same as Krytox pump fluid used for oxygen service,
do not be suprised. That stuff is *expensive*.

Jim

please reply to:
Peter T. Keillor III

On Mon, 9 May 2005 20:19:36 +0200, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

I have acquired 4 Sperry marine gyro compasses, which I am refreshing. Part
of the task is thorough cleaning and the replacement of the suspension oil
in the gyrosphere, as well as complete recalibration. According to Sperry,
the suspention fluid is a blend of Halocarbon 6.3 oil (www.halocarbon.com )
and Dow Corning 200 silicone 1 centistoke fluid at a ratio of 6 to 1. So I
asked for a quote for 10 liters of this Halocarbon 6.3 oil. I just received
a quote of $72.10 per pound, which is sold in gallon containers weighing 16
lbs each. This equates to $288 per liter I think. My question to you all is
should I be so shocked? Do you know why this is priced so high? Thanks in
advance.
Steve

We used to use similar in seal legs for d/p cells on orifice flow
meters (I dislike orifice flow meters). It's very inert, very dense
oil, which helped it stay put in seal legs. Ours was expensive back
in the '70's.

Pete Keillor

DeepDiver

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
I have acquired 4 Sperry marine gyro compasses, which I am refreshing.
Part of the task is thorough cleaning and the replacement of the
suspension oil in the gyrosphere, as well as complete recalibration.
According to Sperry, the suspention fluid is a blend of Halocarbon 6.3 oil
(www.halocarbon.com ) and Dow Corning 200 silicone 1 centistoke fluid at a
ratio of 6 to 1. So I asked for a quote for 10 liters of this Halocarbon
6.3 oil. I just received a quote of $72.10 per pound, which is sold in
gallon containers weighing 16 lbs each. This equates to $288 per liter I
think. My question to you all is should I be so shocked? Do you know why
this is priced so high? Thanks in advance.

Hi Steve,

I've been thinking about your pricey predicament. Perhaps the best option at
this point would be to take them to a shop that refurbishes these gyro
professionally. They're probably the only one who purchase enough of this
stuff in volume to make the price bearable. You may also consider sending
them out of country; it might be cheaper to have them done in the US.

Regards,
Michael