Steve Lusardi

Default Halocarbon oil and test of reason

I have acquired 4 Sperry marine gyro compasses, which I am refreshing. Part
of the task is thorough cleaning and the replacement of the suspension oil
in the gyrosphere, as well as complete recalibration. According to Sperry,
the suspention fluid is a blend of Halocarbon 6.3 oil (www.halocarbon.com )
and Dow Corning 200 silicone 1 centistoke fluid at a ratio of 6 to 1. So I
asked for a quote for 10 liters of this Halocarbon 6.3 oil. I just received
a quote of $72.10 per pound, which is sold in gallon containers weighing 16
lbs each. This equates to $288 per liter I think. My question to you all is
should I be so shocked? Do you know why this is priced so high? Thanks in
advance.
Steve