Willer

Default Brazing aluminum

Greetings all -

How do you braze or solder a brass fitting to an aluminum manifold? Thanks,
Willer

Don Foreman

"Willer" wrote in message
Greetings all -

How do you braze or solder a brass fitting to an aluminum manifold?
Thanks, Willer

A tin-zinc solder or pure tin would probably work with the right flux,
some better than others of course. Tin silver solder (as Harris Staybrite)
might work with the right flux. Harris Staykleen is not the right flux
here, don't know what might be.

Some will say that lead-tin solder works if the al is scrubbed while
soldering. I've never had what I considered satisfactory results from this,
YMMV.

I would try Aero Solder and flux from
http://www.tinmantech.com/html/alumi...g_.html#solder

It works very well for al-to-al and/or al-to-copper, so I'd expect it to
join al to brass as well but I've never tried it. If you're not in a
hurry, I'll try it with brass when I return later next week and let you know
how it works.

Bruce L. Bergman

On Sat, 7 May 2005 11:53:24 -0700, "Willer" wrote:

Greetings all -

How do you braze or solder a brass fitting to an aluminum manifold? Thanks,
Willer

KISS. ;-) You put down the torch, and drill and tap the aluminum
manifold to NPT threads. (Or metric if you're on the other side of
the pond.) Then you thread the brass fitting, coat with the
appropriate thread sealant for the material in the manifold (Teflon
tape or good ol' Rectorseal #5) and screw them together.

Joining dissimilar metals like that can be done - J.W. Harris says
to make it a two-step joint, with a piece of steel tubing or pipe in
the middle. First braze the steel to aluminum with 'AlBraze-1070'
filler and flux, then the copper/brass to the steel using one of the
'Safety-Silv' series fillers and 'Stay-Silv' flux.

First go to http://www.jwharris.com/ to get in their Frames setup,
then look at the chart at http://www.jwharris.com/jwref/chart/

I would be concerned about the differing rates of expansion making
it crack in service. And if the filler metals get mixed when you put
it together, all sorts of odd things can happen...

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

You can't, because the thermal coefficients of expansition for these
two materials are so totally diffent.

Harry C.

Don Foreman

See
http://www.tinmantech.com/html/alumi..._to_steel.html

Hold my beer....

wrote in message
oups.com...
You can't, because the thermal coefficients of expansition for these
two materials are so totally diffent.

Harry C.

Bugs

Not to mention the electrolytic corrosion that will immediately start
at the jumction.
Bugs

Tim Williams

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
See
http://www.tinmantech.com/html/alumi..._to_steel.html

Hold my beer....

You think that's scary? How about MIG welding aluminum to steel?

http://www.thefabricator.com/Article...cle.cfm?ID=676

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Don Foreman

"Tim Williams" wrote in message
"Don Foreman" wrote in message
See
http://www.tinmantech.com/html/alumi..._to_steel.html

Hold my beer....

You think that's scary? How about MIG welding aluminum to steel?

http://www.thefabricator.com/Article...cle.cfm?ID=676

I'll try brazing first.