Gunner

Default OT-Of interest to all

Passed on to me, by of all people..the Noid.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/PASSINGOFGENERATION.HTML

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"
JRJohnson

"Gunner" wrote in message
Passed on to me, by of all people..the Noid.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/PASSINGOFGENERATION.HTML

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

Thanks, Gunner. I am almost of that generation, and I live within 60 miles
of San Antonio. I might meet that very same Dr. some day, and I would feel
much better to know how he feels.
Again, thanks. James R. Johnson

Anthony

Gunner wrote in
:

Passed on to me, by of all people..the Noid.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/PASSINGOFGENERATION.HTML

A touching page that every american should see.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
D Murphy

Gunner wrote in
:

Passed on to me, by of all people..the Noid.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/PASSINGOFGENERATION.HTML

Nice link. I began to notice that the WWII vets were dieing off about ten
years ago. The Trib puts a little American flag next to the obituaries of
vets. Somedays 2/3 of the obits had flags. I'm just glad that I got into
the biz before these guys retired. I learned a lot about the trade from
them as well as a lot about the war. Truly deserving of the title "The
Greatest Generation."

--

Dan

Bart D. Hull

Just a month ago, I saw a soldier in BDU's and his wife go up to the
counter in a local Mexican restaurant. After they had ordered their food
an older gentleman simply walked up and told the cashier that he was paying.

The older gentleman didn't ask where the soldier was serving, what he
did, or any other questions. The only words from the older gentleman
to the soldier was "Thank you, son" Then he went on his way.

It is nice to see our military folks get some credit for their efforts.
I'm not a fan of the Iraq war but support the efforts our troops put out
in their various endevours.

Next time is MY turn to buy!

Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

D Murphy wrote:
Gunner wrote in
:

Passed on to me, by of all people..the Noid.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/PASSINGOFGENERATION.HTML

Nice link. I began to notice that the WWII vets were dieing off about ten
years ago. The Trib puts a little American flag next to the obituaries of
vets. Somedays 2/3 of the obits had flags. I'm just glad that I got into
the biz before these guys retired. I learned a lot about the trade from
them as well as a lot about the war. Truly deserving of the title "The
Greatest Generation."

sheerluck holmes

"Gunner" wrote in message
Passed on to me, by of all people..the Noid.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/PASSINGOFGENERATION.HTML

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

Thankyou , a very moving site .
Sheerluck

myal

Gunner wrote:
Passed on to me, by of all people..the Noid.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/PASSINGOFGENERATION.HTML

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

Its not just the Americans who are losing the generation .

Ive had the pleasure of spending many a long evening with a vet who was
there when Romel was stopped .

A nice old guy who was nothing to look at , we meltd the lead out of
some car batteries to make weights for his rotary hoe to give it more
traction . He died a few weeks after ... his garden all dug up and
planted though . Left it just right for his kids ...

I knew some guys who fought for Hitler , every Fuhers Kibutstag ( spell
) they'd get out a beaten up old swastika theyd salvaged from the
battlefield and sit around drinking tooheys out of stiens telling about
the things theyd seen and done . The good times and the bad .Draging out
their relics , the belts and buckles , bayonetes , medals , even an iorn
cross .

A bunch of weather beaten oldmen who were surviving in the desert mining
opal , I never worked with more honest men .

Ill bet even the old serb who continualy stirs **** with them is still
going , I remember him once saying "they may be cockroaches , but they
are Ok for mates "

I knew and old guy who was an engineer in the pacific islands fighting
the Japanese , he died late last year , but we would often spend time
discussing the thngs he remembered , and the things he had done , why he
did them and what happened to all their efforts now .

Not a one of them would trust the govt , or willingly do it again ,
they'd just seen and done to much . Maybe the ****ty way they were
treated made them rethink leaving their families and fighting for a govt
that **** on them all the way . ( Aussies got a kinda raw deal compared
to the US forces )

Even the british guy I met who has seven roundish kinda scars on his leg
, a bit bigger than a 10 cent piece, from a german machine gun at
dunkirk when he was 14 , he was sitting on a bench at a caravan park
watching the sun set , we got to talking first about the sunset , then
the van park , after a while he just told me about his history ... when
we parted , we shook hands and exchanged names ... I have a very german
name , and all he did was pause and grin , then he said "everyhting
thats happened , and the only guy who has the time to listen or care ,
is a flaming kraut..."
We still look each other up , but I dont know how many more years he has
left in him .I dont think its many .

Each one of them joined the fight because they realy believed they'd
make a difference . Each one is a calibre of man that Ive not seen
before , and never met in a younger bloke .

I respect them for standing by their beliefs , even if they changed
their ideas now and are as scared of what the govt has in store for us
in the future as anyone .

Im not seeing them come through an emergency ward , and most of the ones
I know are kind of upset that there is still fightig going on ,
especialy afetr fighting the japanese for so long and so hard ,now they
being bussed tothe RSL in japanese busses .

They are a breed apart , and they are passing on .

Roedy's Master

Gunner wrote:

Passed on to me, by of all people..the Noid.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/PASSINGOFGENERATION.HTML

Gunner

Good one Gunner. It really is a sad thought that that generation truly is
almost gone from us. We need to let them know we won't forget them and all
they've done.
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Passed on to me, by of all people..the Noid.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/PASSINGOFGENERATION.HTML

Corny but quite true. Fewer and fewer each day.

One of my longest-standing regrets will be that my
grandfather did get a salute at his burial. He was
in france with the AEF. He's on the left in this
shot:

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/j-aef.jpg

I still have the whistle that's clipped to his epaulet.
Note the cool tractor in the background, complete with
CCl4 fire extinguisher, kerosene marker lights, and what
I *think* is an acetylene searchlight.

But he really did deserve a flag and a salute.

Jim

please reply to:
jim rozen

In article , jim rozen says...

One of my longest-standing regrets will be that my
grandfather did get a salute at his burial. ...

Obviously supposed to read, "did NOT"

Jim

please reply to:

John

Bart D. Hull wrote:

Just a month ago, I saw a soldier in BDU's and his wife go up to the
counter in a local Mexican restaurant. After they had ordered their
food an older gentleman simply walked up and told the cashier that he
was paying.

The older gentleman didn't ask where the soldier was serving, what he
did, or any other questions. The only words from the older gentleman
to the soldier was "Thank you, son" Then he went on his way.

It is nice to see our military folks get some credit for their efforts.
I'm not a fan of the Iraq war but support the efforts our troops put out
in their various endevours.

Next time is MY turn to buy!

Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html

Great link Gunner! If anyone would like to make a difference, besides
just words, here are three links where they could be of service to the
guys and girls in our military. There's a great group of young
Americans serving for us.

For the Marine Corps: http://www.usmchq.com/carepackages.htm
For those wounded: http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
For all the Military: http://www.treatsfortroops.com/

Before anyone asks....YES, I do. On a regular basis to all three
groups. Even if I might do a little more for the first group, since I
have a stronger connection there.

Semper Fi!

John

Sue

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:36:22 +1000, myal dumaree@hotmail wrote:

Gunner wrote:
Passed on to me, by of all people..the Noid.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/PASSINGOFGENERATION.HTML

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

Its not just the Americans who are losing the generation .

I saw mention in the SF Chronicle yesterday of a 107 year old WW I vet
who lives in Western Australia. The article was about Gallipoli.
Sue

Terry Collins

Sue wrote:

I saw mention in the SF Chronicle yesterday of a 107 year old WW I vet
who lives in Western Australia. The article was about Gallipoli.

Australia now only has 3 WWI Vets still alive.

Jim C Roberts

Gunner,

Great site, as mentioned above they were definately the Greatest
Generation.

One of the local TV stations participated in The Veterans History Project,
a videography of sort for any and all Veterans. The stories are to be
housed in The Library of Congress, there are sure to be some very
interesting tales in there. The addy is http://www.loc.gov/vets/.

Regards,
Jim C Roberts

Cliff

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 02:27:12 +1000, Terry Collins
wrote:

Sue wrote:

I saw mention in the SF Chronicle yesterday of a 107 year old WW I vet
who lives in Western Australia. The article was about Gallipoli.

Australia now only has 3 WWI Vets still alive.

I think I recall the news of the death of the last from the
US Civil war.
Lost a few relatives too. And one killed by a baseball.
--
Cliff