JohnM

Default Moving the lathe..

jim rozen wrote:

In article ,
says...

It was time to move the old lathe the other day- old Hendey with the
Tip-O-Matic add-on ballast up high (motor/gearbox). Tool selection was
pretty much limited to the loader with the forks on and the method I
decided on was to chain the lathe to the forks (as opposed to lifting

from above). I laid a piece of wood across the ways and slid the forks

under the machine till the tips just stuck out the back side. Lifted
the forks until they were tight to the bottom of the frame and then
wrapped a chain in a loop around the forks and the piece of wood
(between the ways)- then when I ran the forks in further the chain
tightened (due to the taper of the forks). Lifted the lathe, tipped it
back a bit so that if it wanted to slide it could only tighten the
chain more and carried it with no evidence of a tendency for revolting
developments at all. I don't remember seeing this method mentioned
here before and I'm pleased enough with the results that I'll post it
in hope that someone else also finds it useful.

One failure mode to be alert for when doing this is when the
fork truck goes over a bump, and tips forward. This causes
the machine to slide forward, which causes the truck to tip
forward even more. Eventually the machine slides off the
forks in front.

To avoid this one secures the load to the mast of the fork
truck, so it cannot slide forward.

Jim

That's a good point, especially since it seems that the newer fork
trucks I see won't lean back as far as the older ones. I forget to think
about stuff like that 'cause I've got my forks set up to tip quite far
back- if I've got them all the way back things are pretty creepy by the
time they get to where they're level..

John