john

Default how to homebrew a 7000-psi mechanical press?

"Anthony" to
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

how to design a 7000-psi mechanical press using standard (preferably,
Home-Depot) available components?

application is separation of edible-oils from an agricultural crop.

pressure = force x area

So you first need to determine the working area of the device. This will
tell you how much force you need total.
At that required psi, you are most likely going to need some power
assistance.

a few hunks of metal bolted together with really large bolts
attached to a pair of I beams (picture giant nut cracker)
then a tree with a rope & pulley system to lift the long arm of the
press & pulleys to close it up again. this will be crude yet effective
given the surface area you squeeze is small.

Christopher Tidy

Anthony wrote:
wrote in news:1113981539.185649.126420
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

how to design a 7000-psi mechanical press using standard (preferably,
Home-Depot) available components?

application is separation of edible-oils from an agricultural crop.

pressure = force x area

So you first need to determine the working area of the device. This will
tell you how much force you need total.
At that required psi, you are most likely going to need some power
assistance

If you use a hydraulic ram to provide the force, and the working area of
the press is the same as the cross-sectional area of the ram, the oil
pressure inside your ram would need to be 7000 psi. This is attainable
without too much difficulty. The manually operated hydraulic presses
manufactured by Fred S. Carver, Inc. for science laboratories (which
essentially use a very nicely made bottle jack to provide the force) go
up to 10000 psi on 1 1/4 inch diameter rams and larger. Unless you need
the press to be huge, or you need it to open and close very quickly, you
can probably manage without power assistance. Power assistance
complicates the project because you'll need a fair number of safety
features to make sure you can't injure yourself. Your best bet is
probably to buy a large bottle jack (here in England you can get a basic
20 ton jack for about £50) and build a sturdy steel frame around it.

Hope this helps,

Chris

steamer

--Heyyyy this wouldn't be hash oil would it? Heh.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : For some reason hung up on
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Mexican Oompah bands...
Rich S.

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in message
quietguy wrote:

Well, as a rule (at least among non engineers) for presses they are rated
by
the ton - eg a 3 ton press uses a 3 ton hydrolic jack, and the pressure
it
applies then depends on the area over which that 3 ton is applied.

Gentlemen...........

Since many of you have obviously earned scientific credentials and since you
seem to have some familiarity with computer protocol, would it be too much
to politely request that you refrain from posting in multiple newsgroups?

Many of your remarks are directed at your friends and acquaintenances in
your usual haunts. I know this was originally the "fault" of the OP, but it
need not continue endlessly. Please be assured I am aware of the options of
ignoring the thread or taking up knitting. But this mindless blather about
"When is a pound a pound?" is getting tiresome. Write something interesting
once in a while.

Sorry - rant mode off. Isn't the weather nice? - or maybe you're in
Michigan. . .

Rich

P.S. Just to **** everyone off equally - it is spelled "hydraulic".

Christopher Tidy

Posting to rec.crafts.metalworking and sci.engr.mech only.

snip

Well, to be precise there is a build-up of pressure deep within the
fibres of the crop. This pressure is required to drive out the juice
through the very small spaces between the fibres. As the juice flows
towards the surface through these small spaces, its pressure falls (work
is done against viscous friction). When the juice reaches the surface it
is then at atmospheric pressure.

Hence there is *NO* risk of 'explosive' failure.

There wasn't anyway because this is a liquid and not a gas.

You've obviously never seen a catastrophic failure in a high-capacity
high-pressure, hydraulic system.

Hydraulics don't "store" energy the way a compressed gas does, *BUT*
they are d*mn near 100% efficient at _transferring_ energy from one
point to another. Given a sufficiently large _sustained_ source of
energy, a hydraulic failure _can_ have "explosive" characteristics.

Perhaps my statement was a little too broad. I take your point that if
you have a rapid and sustained input of energy to a hydraulic system,
you could see a dramatic rupture. But you'd need a large motorised pump
or accumulator to supply the energy. I don't believe this is a danger in
a small system using a hand pump as discussed here.

Chris

Christopher Tidy

Posting to rec.crafts.metalworking and sci.engr.mech only.

snip

1. It will take a very long time to process all the material.

Time depends on the amount of material, and the number/size of pressor heads
used. a hypothetical 36-head assembly, with 5/16" square heads, at 2k impact
per minute, can do 1 sq ft per *second*.

That would be an insane machine to try to build :-).

2. The vegetable matter which is not under the tamper (and so is not
under pressure) will soak up the juices which are squeezed out from
under the tamper.

3. The servo motor and lead screw system seems like unnecessary
complexity to me, and it's likely to reduce the reliability of your system.

A) "Reliability" was not a 'design criteria'.

Maybe it's just me, but I think reliability should always be a design
criterion.

B) there are other kinds of X-Y positioning systems than serve/lead-screw.

4. A tamper which just contacts the backplate is a recipe for trouble.
It will be very sensitive to the accuracy of construction and wear.
Should the tamper come slightly too low, the mechanism will be broken or
the tamper embedded in the backplate.

Nah. this is a 'self-correcting' problem -- you get dents in the back-plate,
or the tamper gets blunted.

I think you'd find that the mechanism would rapidly get worn/distorted
to the point at which there was no pressure between the tamper and
backplate.

As Rich S. pointed out yesterday, this thread is reaching the end of its
useful life, so I'll leave it here!

Chris

Wild Bill

Aside from the numerous cautions of doom and hazardous warnings of
improperly engineered pressurized systems..

I had a C-clamp explode once, I haven't been able to pick one up since that
experience.

OP might be planning to open a waffle restaurant specializing in gormet THC
syrups

WB