Mike Henry

Default Harbor Freight shop crane to list Clausing 9530 mill?

Pep Boys seems to have the same hoist on sale every weekend for $120 or so.
I don't think that I'd necessarily trust the boom ratings, though.

"Ignoramus7702" wrote in message
I like Richard's idea to use a harbor freight shop crane 35915

to lift a Clausing 8530 mill into a trailer. I want to hear others'
opinions about this idea.

Tony

Its rated for 2 tons with the boom retracted. When you extend the boom all
the way for added reach the rating goes down to 500 #. They dont tell u that
in the ad.

Tony

"Ignoramus7702" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 08:49:03 -0500, Mike Henry

wrote:
Pep Boys seems to have the same hoist on sale every weekend for $120 or

so.
I don't think that I'd necessarily trust the boom ratings, though.

I would not trust them either, but the crane is rated for 2 tons and I
will be lifting 0.5 ton.

"Ignoramus7702" wrote in message
I like Richard's idea to use a harbor freight shop crane 35915

to lift a Clausing 8530 mill into a trailer. I want to hear others'
opinions about this idea.

wmbjk

On 18 Apr 2005 15:06:00 GMT, Ignoramus7702
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:05:17 -0400, Tony wrote:
Its rated for 2 tons with the boom retracted. When you extend the boom all
the way for added reach the rating goes down to 500 #. They dont tell u that
in the ad.

That's upsetting, but I am glad that you said that. Do you have any
cites? I want to be very sure. This guy used this hoist to lift a
Clausing 8540:

http://www.truetex.com/moveclausing.htm

Shortest boom position=max capacity. This link has some numbers for a
similar crane http://www.toolrage.com/prodView.asp?idproduct=1638

Wayne
Peter Grey

wrote:
Its rated for 2 tons with the boom retracted. When you extend the boom
all
the way for added reach the rating goes down to 500 #. They dont tell u
that
in the ad.

That's upsetting, but I am glad that you said that. Do you have any
cites? I want to be very sure. This guy used this hoist to lift a
Clausing 8540:

http://www.truetex.com/moveclausing.htm

Well, I'm not an official "cite", but I can verify that a hoist rated at
2,000 pounds is only going to lift that much with the boom fully retracted.
This will, of course, limit the height of the boom so keep that in mind.

The picture of the guy lifting the horizontal mill on the web site above
shows the boom fully or almost fully (typically the 1,500 lb position)
retracted.

Peter

Proctologically Violated©®

Yep, dat's d' one! Their numbers are even almost correct! Little short of
of 117", more like 108-110.I think. Mebbe they measured while the crane was
tipping!!
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Ignoramus7702" wrote in message
I called Harbor Freight. For the non-foldable crane ($149), the
lifting height (distance from hook to ground) is 117 inches. With the
boom fully extended , the ecapacity is 0.5 ton, or 1,100 lbs.

That's good enough for me.

Greg Menke

Ignoramus7702 writes:

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 08:49:03 -0500, Mike Henry wrote:
Pep Boys seems to have the same hoist on sale every weekend for $120 or so.
I don't think that I'd necessarily trust the boom ratings, though.

I would not trust them either, but the crane is rated for 2 tons and I
will be lifting 0.5 ton.

I wouldn't trust the hook HF includes with their cranes with more than
700 lbs or so. The chain is a little better but small for 2 tons. I
replaced the chain and hook on mine with schedule 100 rated stuff from
mcmaster.com. At some point it would also be nice to put decent casters
on the legs, the OEM casters are pretty nasty.

1500 lbs is pretty easy with the HF shop cranes, just do it with the
boom in the 2 ton position if possible, 1.5 ton otherwise.

Gregm
Gunner

On 18 Apr 2005 16:31:54 GMT, Ignoramus7702
wrote:

A-ha, that's very good (that he is doing it with the boom retracted).

Anyway. I talked to the seller this morning and we are shooting for
tomorrow. Today, I will buy and assemble the crane, and tomorrow, I
will rent a trailer and get the goods.

If he has not sold the 48" lathe for $1000, I may pick that one up
also.

The Rockwell lathe is a keeper.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Mike Henry

wrote:
Its rated for 2 tons with the boom retracted. When you extend the boom
all
the way for added reach the rating goes down to 500 #. They dont tell u
that
in the ad.

That's upsetting, but I am glad that you said that. Do you have any
cites? I want to be very sure. This guy used this hoist to lift a
Clausing 8540:

http://www.truetex.com/moveclausing.htm

snip

I've used a Pep Boys engine hoist to lift the same mill (8540) but only a
few inches off the ground for minor adjustments. The farthest I extended it
was the 1-1/2-ton boom setting, I think. Somewhere on the web is a picture
of one of these hoists with a collapsed structural member. Gives one pause
for thought. That mill nearly did me in on the stairway down to the
basement, so pay attention to the cautions others are giving you.