Mike Henry

"Ignoramus7702" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:05:17 -0400, Tony
wrote:
Its rated for 2 tons with the boom retracted. When you extend the boom
all
the way for added reach the rating goes down to 500 #. They dont tell u
that
in the ad.

That's upsetting, but I am glad that you said that. Do you have any
cites? I want to be very sure. This guy used this hoist to lift a
Clausing 8540:

http://www.truetex.com/moveclausing.htm

snip

I've used a Pep Boys engine hoist to lift the same mill (8540) but only a
few inches off the ground for minor adjustments. The farthest I extended it
was the 1-1/2-ton boom setting, I think. Somewhere on the web is a picture
of one of these hoists with a collapsed structural member. Gives one pause
for thought. That mill nearly did me in on the stairway down to the
basement, so pay attention to the cautions others are giving you.