On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 12:58:20 -0400, "Proctologically
Violated??" wrote:

Awl--

I suppose it's not quite as magnetic as plain carbon steel.
And perhaps a spark test? Characteristics?
Oh, I guess you could use the O/A test: it don't cut!! But that's pita...

I've heard of machinists/heat treaters who have "catalogued" hundreds of
alloys merely by the spart test on a grinding wheel--keep a box w/ reference
samples. wow...
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Copper sulphate solution - about one teasponful per
cupful of water plus a few drops of battery acid.

Scrape surface clean and apply with a Qtip. Carbon
steels will almost instantly develop a bright copper sheen.
Stainless steels will remain unaffected.

The solution will work without the battery acid
addition but the action is much slower.

Jim

Footy

With a magnet?

Robin S.

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message

I've heard of machinists/heat treaters who have "catalogued" hundreds of
alloys merely by the spart test on a grinding wheel--keep a box w/
reference samples. wow...

Grind a small surface, and lick it.

Regards,

Robin

Proctologically Violated©®

Yeah, but if both carbon and some SS are magnetic, how to tell the diff?
Even if the SS is *less* magnetic, it still is not always clear, depending
on the magnet, etc.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Footy" wrote in message
With a magnet?

Ed Huntress

"Robin S." wrote in message

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message

I've heard of machinists/heat treaters who have "catalogued" hundreds of
alloys merely by the spart test on a grinding wheel--keep a box w/
reference samples. wow...

Grind a small surface, and lick it.

All right, what's the punch line?

--
Ed Huntress

Robin S.

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Grind a small surface, and lick it.

All right, what's the punch line?

?

If you can keep a straight face, it sometimes works...

Regards,

Robin

Ed Huntress

"Robin S." wrote in message
.. .

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Grind a small surface, and lick it.

All right, what's the punch line?

?

If you can keep a straight face, it sometimes works...

Regards,

Robin

OK, but what does it tell you? Does mild steel have an unassuming aftertaste
of jasmine and myrhh? Is stainless a rich vintage with chocolate highlights,
or what?

--
Ed Huntress

jim rozen

In article , Robin S. says...

All right, what's the punch line?

?

If you can keep a straight face, it sometimes works...

LOL!

Reminds me of one of the old-school toolmakers at work.
Some post-doc would come up to him with a piece of stock,
and say, "is this moly or niobium" or something like that.

Angie would take the piece, sniff it appreciatively under
his nose like a cigar, and say ".....moly, with five
percent titanium."

Jim

please reply to:
jim rozen

In article , Ed Huntress says...

OK, but what does it tell you?

It tells you to take the hook out of your lip....

:^)

Jim

please reply to:

Robin S.

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Robin S. says...

Angie would take the piece, sniff it appreciatively under
his nose like a cigar, and say ".....moly, with five
percent titanium."

I actually saw an apprentice run off and start machining a piece of stock
after an instructor had told him what the material was via this method...

Like telling someone to go to the tool crib and get a "long weight" which
really just turns into a "long wait".

"Oh yeah, I'm getting it ready for you. Just a little while longer..."

Then there's the left-handed hammer, etc.

Regards,

Robin

Larry Green

"jim rozen" wrote in message

In article , Robin S. says...

Angie would take the piece, sniff it appreciatively under
his nose like a cigar, and say ".....moly, with five
percent titanium."

I actually saw an apprentice run off and start machining a piece of stock
after an instructor had told him what the material was via this method...

Like telling someone to go to the tool crib and get a "long weight" which
really just turns into a "long wait".

"Oh yeah, I'm getting it ready for you. Just a little while longer..."

Then there's the left-handed hammer, etc.

Regards,

Robin

LOL....I remember many years ago one of the younger (and dimmer)
apprentices being sent to the 'stores' several times for things like 'a
can of striped paint', 'a bag of sparks for the grinder' and 'a set of
holes to fit these taps'.

He was also the guy who had his enamel mug nailed through the bottom to
the bench and then filled with tea, his bicycle welded to the steel roof
beams (20 feet in the air) and the steel toe caps of his work boots
welded to the work bench legs.

--
Larry Green
Ed Huntress

"Robin S." wrote in message
.. .

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Robin S.

says...

Angie would take the piece, sniff it appreciatively under
his nose like a cigar, and say ".....moly, with five
percent titanium."

I actually saw an apprentice run off and start machining a piece of stock
after an instructor had told him what the material was via this method...

Like telling someone to go to the tool crib and get a "long weight" which
really just turns into a "long wait".

"Oh yeah, I'm getting it ready for you. Just a little while longer..."

Then there's the left-handed hammer, etc.

I have several of those. How long was the weight? d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Robin S.

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

I have several of those. How long was the weight? d8-)

I was only told about this by older apprentices. The tool makers aren't
supposed to do this any more. Something about productivity....

Regards,

Robin

Ron DeBlock

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 19:38:28 -0400, Robin S. wrote:

Then there's the left-handed hammer, etc.

I haven't seen them in a while, but the Ridgid RoboHammer is available in
both right- and left-handed versions. Home Depot used to sell them, not
sure if they are still available.

See http://www.carpenters.org/carpenterm...Chest78_01.pdf

I'm going to buy a lefty version next time I see one, just so I can say
that I have a left-handed hammer.

-Ron

Tim Williams

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
Grind a small surface, and lick it.

All right, what's the punch line?

I don't see one! g

Hey, I can tell you the difference between stainless, carbon steel, monel
and copper. All different odors/flavors when moistened or handled.

Stainless, being... stain...less... won't do anything.

I should hope so, since I've got some on my teeth for two years.

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Tom Gardner

Then there's the left-handed hammer, etc.

Regards,

Robin

There really ARE left and right handed hammers!

Koz

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Yeah, but if both carbon and some SS are magnetic, how to tell the diff?
Even if the SS is *less* magnetic, it still is not always clear, depending
on the magnet, etc.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Footy" wrote in message

With a magnet?

And....even non magnetic 300 series stainless becomes magnetic when work
hardened. Sometimes the magnetization can be high enough that the "not
as magnetic" standard is hard to judge.

Get a rare earth magnet instead of the cheepies to test. Have a couple
of known samples to get the feel for it. It will never be the final
word but but you can easily learn to kick out the carbon steel and best
guess worked 300 series from 400 series. Just when you think you've
finally got the hang of judging by magnet, a sample always shows up that
doesn't fit the profile.

And just to poke the newbies to stainless: It's not called "stain free"
it's called "stain less"....that's for a reason.

Koz (who constantly gets people thinking the stainless was bad because
it didn't stay shiny after 5 years of washdowns with chemical soup)

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 16:11:33 GMT, the inscrutable "Tom Gardner"
spake:

Then there's the left-handed hammer, etc.

Regards,

Robin

There really ARE left and right handed hammers!

Which is totally ridiculous. I've never done a single job yet
which required me to use only one hand. Me? I'm an AmbiWhammer.

--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
http://diversify.com Premium Website Development