Eric Tonks

Default Looking for a Torx screwdriver/bit with 8 instead of 6 points

Have to remove some kitchen cabinet doors, I find that they are all
installed with a type of Torx screws, however a normal Torx has 6 points to
the star type of configuration. These screws look like a Torx but they have
8 points to their star type of configuration. Has anyone seen these things,
and/or know where I can get a screwdriver or screwgun bit?

Greg O

"Eric Tonks" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM wrote in message
ews.com...
Have to remove some kitchen cabinet doors, I find that they are all
installed with a type of Torx screws, however a normal Torx has 6 points
the star type of configuration. These screws look like a Torx but they
have
8 points to their star type of configuration. Has anyone seen these
things,
and/or know where I can get a screwdriver or screwgun bit?

Are they a double square? Robertson head?
Greg

Dave L.

Several years ago some one came out with those 8 sided sockets. They didn't pan
out.

Just use use a Robertson/square/socket head screw driver. A kind of Canadian
thing. See LeeValley.com for tools.

Dave

In article . com,
"Eric Tonks" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM wrote:

Have to remove some kitchen cabinet doors, I find that they are all
installed with a type of Torx screws, however a normal Torx has 6 points to
the star type of configuration. These screws look like a Torx but they have
8 points to their star type of configuration. Has anyone seen these things,
and/or know where I can get a screwdriver or screwgun bit?

nospambob

Or mcfeelys.com

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:36:26 -0500, "Dave L."
wrote:

Just use use a Robertson/square/socket head screw driver. A kind of Canadian
thing. See LeeValley.com for tools.

Porky

Sorry, can't help but I can sypathize with your dilemma. I have run
across a couple of Torx screw sizes for which there don't appear to be
any screwdrivers for. One is the Palm Pilot, the other, a DeWalt
battery charger. Can't take them apart.

There are 3 common sizes of square Robertson screwdrivers, and the
smallest is quite tiny, not that commonly used. The bits are tapered
slightly so fit a wide variety of square holes. They have been around
since the '30's, are far superior to the Phillips, grip the screw
really well, but were declared un-American. The Canadian inventor died
in poverty. Then, when robots in the US and Japan began fumbling with
useless Phillips screws, the equally PITA Torx screw was invented. Now
you need 12 more screwdrivers to get the job done. And you're still
missing a few.

JohnK

John Hines

"Porky" wrote:

Sorry, can't help but I can sypathize with your dilemma. I have run
across a couple of Torx screw sizes for which there don't appear to be
any screwdrivers for. One is the Palm Pilot, the other, a DeWalt
battery charger. Can't take them apart.

Security screws? I saw a set of drivers of all different sizes/shapes
that was being sold as a "security screw driver set" at the local
hardware.

Johnk,

I am just looking at a palm pilot also myself - what's officially the
smallest Torx end they've made? is it the "T-10" ?

I'm looking at my set here and I'm missing one peice which I think
might be half the size of the T-10 again but the T-10 is huge compared
to the ones on this palm pilot which are absoloutely miniscule.

Update: Just found this for the palm pilot - super super small torx
bits?

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/general/torx_bits.htm

Hope this helps someone else doing a deja / ggroups search also (search
keywords below)

T-1 T-5 T-10 tiny small bit set