sligo

Default water noise

A year old house is starting to have a noise problem when water, hot or
cold, is turned off in all locations. Coming from the pipes behind the
walls, a low frequency groan lasting several seconds .
This is a new phenomenon never noticed during the first year.
I am wondering if the outside water pressure regulator is going bad. I have
no other ideas.
Any comments help appreciated,
Seamus J. Wilson

Speedy Jim

sligo wrote:

A year old house is starting to have a noise problem when water, hot or
cold, is turned off in all locations. Coming from the pipes behind the
walls, a low frequency groan lasting several seconds .
This is a new phenomenon never noticed during the first year.
I am wondering if the outside water pressure regulator is going bad. I have
no other ideas.
Any comments help appreciated,
Seamus J. Wilson

Groaning, moaning, fog-horn type resonances are
almost always caused by a failing toilet ballcock.

Have someone create the groan while you go around
and either shut off each toilet supply in turn or
hold the tank float up. That should tell you
which one to replace.

Jim

"Speedy Jim" wrote:

Groaning, moaning, fog-horn type resonances are
almost always caused by a failing toilet ballcock.

See:

http://www.wmueller.com/home/papers/umap.html

Nick

Dr. Hardcrab

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
sligo wrote:

A year old house is starting to have a noise problem when water, hot or
cold, is turned off in all locations. Coming from the pipes behind the
walls, a low frequency groan lasting several seconds .
This is a new phenomenon never noticed during the first year.
I am wondering if the outside water pressure regulator is going bad. I
have
no other ideas.
Any comments help appreciated,
Seamus J. Wilson

Groaning, moaning, fog-horn type resonances are
almost always caused by a failing toilet ballcock.

Have someone create the groan while you go around
and either shut off each toilet supply in turn or
hold the tank float up. That should tell you
which one to replace.

I've had that happen a couple times. Try bending the arm on the float
downward a little and see if that takes care of the problem....

SteveB

"sligo" wrote in message
A year old house is starting to have a noise problem when water, hot or
cold, is turned off in all locations. Coming from the pipes behind the
walls, a low frequency groan lasting several seconds .

snip

You don't happen to live in or near Amityville, do you?

Steve ;-)

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM