Robert11

Default House Gas Kitchen Stove Burners: Ignition Mechanism ?

Hello:

Trying to learn something about this before I go looking.

On new gas kitchen stoves:

Regarding the burners: I guess none of the new ones use a "pilot light"
anymore.

So, how do they ignite ? Do they require an electrical connection
to 110V AC to produce a spark, or is it done via a crystal being deformed to
make the spark, or... ?

Might as well also ask, please: what is meant by "sealed burners" that I've
read about ?

Thanks,
Bob

Edwin Pawlowski

"Robert11" wrote in message
Regarding the burners: I guess none of the new ones use a "pilot light"
anymore.

So, how do they ignite ? Do they require an electrical connection
to 110V AC to produce a spark,

Yes, they have ignighters. The ones for the burners spark just like the gas
grill piezo electrics. The oven and broiler have glowing elements.

It is posisble to buy a stove that still has pilot lights, but it will not
have any electrical components at all. No ovent light, electirc timers,
etc. Any stove manufactured with electric must have an electronic ignition.
Overall, they are pretty reliable. In the 15+ years we've had our stove, I
did replace anoven ignighter, but not for hte burner.

Might as well also ask, please: what is meant by "sealed burners" that
I've read about ?

I don't have one and know little about the, except that they are less likely
to get gunked up by spills.

Appliance Repair Aid

Robert11 wrote:

Hi,

Regarding the burners: I guess none of the new ones use a "pilot

light"
anymore.

Very few have standing pilot lights anymore.

So, how do they ignite ?

Most have electric spark ignition for the surface and hot surface glow
ignitors for the oven.

Do they require an electrical connection
to 110V AC to produce a spark,

Yes. Most/many gas ranges today also have an oven light and a clock,
these will need the 110 volt outlet as well.

Might as well also ask, please: what is meant by "sealed burners"

that I've
read about ?

Older gas ranges mostly had open burners with lift up cooktops, a
sealed burner is screwed to the cooktop and the cooktop is no longer an
lift up style. There is no longer a big open space around the burner
for things to fall through and make a mess underneath.

Hope something here helps
Some other info that may help...
http://www.geappliances.com/shop/prd...as/buytips.htm
http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/buy...?sectionId=312