Default waterproof a cinderblock retaining wall?

I'm going to build a cinderblock retaining wall in my yard to "hold back"
heavy clay soil. The wall will be 24 inches high (three cinderblocks) on a
poured foundation. All exposed surface will be covered with artificial
stone.

Should the blocks be filled with cement or left hollow?
Should the back side be waterproofed, and with what material?

Thanks
-B

DanG

I would not do it your way. Solid retaining walls are under
considerable stress due to hydrostatic pressure.

If you make the block and stone wall, it is imperative that you
design it to let water out. This can be accomplished by
installing a gravel drainage bed on the back side of the wall
protected by a geotextile with drain pipes through the wall at
about every 4 feet. A true retaining wall requires a footing
able to resist rollover. This means either a substantial heel or
toe for the wall with rebar (1/2" is fine) L bars extended up
through the block and concrete filled. I think I would use a
trough block on top with horizontal steel and slushed.

There is an easier way using garden wall blocks unless you really
object to the look. The whole premise is that the wall is not
solid and has gravel behind it to allow water to go through the
wall, not fight it. The footing is gravel.

(top posted for your convenience)
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

. com...

insulating a wall Rick Dipper UK diy 10 August 6th 04 08:33 PM
Deck Set on Retaining Wall jacktripper Home Repair 6 July 22nd 04 06:22 PM
Retaining wall repair sdf Home Repair 1 January 2nd 04 02:14 PM
Dry Rock Retaining Wall RedHeadAllDay Home Repair 4 August 18th 03 02:12 PM
Retaining Wall in front of another Retaining Wall MCL Home Repair 0 July 11th 03 03:48 PM