sdf

Default Retaining wall repair

I have a brick retaining wall, about 3 feet high. It has previously been
covered with sandstone rocks (about half-inch thick), cemented on in a type
of "crazy-paving" pattern. Some of these have fallen off, and the wall needs
renovating. The actual wall itself, however, is fine- just a couple of minor
cracks.

We wanted to get rid of the paving and bag the wall with cement. Today I
removed the loose pavers. I was going to remove them all but most were
cemented on very firmly still, and to get rid of them all would be hard, hot
work (especially here in Australia!). My wife doesn't mind how rough the
finished product is, as long as it looks "Mediterranean". So I thought I'd
roughly cement over the top of the pavers. Is that a reasonable idea?

Also, is it easier/cheaper to colour the cement first, or paint it after? It
would be a lightish colour, so I guess that would rule out normal cement.

Paul Furman

Integral color stucco is much nicer, more natural looking. I would be
careful that the new patch to fill the gaps doesn't pop out again... I
don't know, maybe use a little richer mix and put some anchors in there,
wired to chicken wire/mesh... or even mortar the stone back so it
matches the rest. Stucco with a white base costs more but is kind of
necessary for a light color. Stucco is different from concrete, not sure
how but it is. Also if there is moss on the rocks it won't stick well.