Drew Cutter

Default New wood for steps

What is the ideal wood for new steps ? For stair going to the second
floor. Looking for the cherry wood look.
RicodJour

Drew Cutter wrote:
What is the ideal wood for new steps ? For stair going to the second

floor. Looking for the cherry wood look.

Ideal in what way? After eliminating the unsuitable woods (due to
softness, checking and the like) it's entirely your choice based on
price and the amount of effort to get a particular species to look the
way you want it.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Drew Cutter" wrote in message
What is the ideal wood for new steps ? For stair going to the second
floor. Looking for the cherry wood look.

Do you want pretty? Durability? Price?

Yes, cherry is nice, oak is about half the price.

Duane Bozarth

Drew Cutter wrote:

What is the ideal wood for new steps ? For stair going to the second
floor. Looking for the cherry wood look.

Cherry, maybe?
Drew Cutter

The only thing i could find is oak . Any stains , waxes , etc - would
you recommend ? To get that cherry look , low maintenance , long life.

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Drew Cutter wrote:

What is the ideal wood for new steps ? For stair going to the second
floor. Looking for the cherry wood look.

Cherry, maybe?

Andy Hill

Drew Cutter wrote:
Duane Bozarth wrote:
Drew Cutter wrote:

What is the ideal wood for new steps ? For stair going to the second
floor. Looking for the cherry wood look.

Cherry, maybe?

The only thing i could find is oak . Any stains , waxes , etc - would
you recommend ? To get that cherry look , low maintenance , long life.

Where'd you look? Googling on "cherry stair tread" returns a number of useful
hits.

Andy Hill

Drew Cutter wrote:
Andy Hill wrote:
Drew Cutter wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Drew Cutter wrote:

What is the ideal wood for new steps ? For stair going to the second
floor. Looking for the cherry wood look.

Cherry, maybe?

The only thing i could find is oak . Any stains , waxes , etc - would
you recommend ? To get that cherry look , low maintenance , long life.

Where'd you look? Googling on "cherry stair tread" returns a number of useful
hits.

I did a quick stop at lowe.

There would be your first problem -- Lowes, Home Despot, etc. aren't good
places to look for high-end anything. Try calling around to some real hardwood
suppliers.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Drew Cutter" wrote in message
I did a quick stop at lowe.

There is a whole big world of material out there that Lowes and Home Depot
will never see. Talk to your local lumber dealer or hardwood dealer.

Andy Hill

Drew Cutter wrote:
Andy Hill wrote:
Drew Cutter wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Drew Cutter wrote:

What is the ideal wood for new steps ? For stair going to the second
floor. Looking for the cherry wood look.

Cherry, maybe?

The only thing i could find is oak . Any stains , waxes , etc - would
you recommend ? To get that cherry look , low maintenance , long life.

Where'd you look? Googling on "cherry stair tread" returns a number of useful
hits.

Too high for my blood (45-60.00). Just trying to get the house ready to
sell.

Ah, that's a horse of a different color. Would cherry laminate flooring be too
low-end for this house? If the treads, risers, etc. are already in place and
still solid, that might be the least expensive way to get it pretty.

I'm not a big fan of the oak grain pattern, no matter how it's stained, but
that's just a personal taste issue.

Drew Cutter

I asked the local floor store about laminated . They didn't recommend
it. I will do more checking on Saturday. Looking for an inexpensive
means of improving the stairs.

Matias Silva wrote:
Drew Cutter wrote:

What is the ideal wood for new steps ? For stair going to the second
floor. Looking for the cherry wood look.

Couldn't you just buy the durable stuff and then cover it
with pergo. One thing with pergo is that it won't scratch
and you have a multidude of stains/colors to choose from.

Matt

Edwin Pawlowski

"Drew Cutter" wrote in message
I asked the local floor store about laminated . They didn't recommend it. I
will do more checking on Saturday. Looking for an inexpensive means of
improving the stairs.

It has to be done right and is not always easy. Mine has been in place for
about 7+ years now with no problems. If you have a stair with one end open,
it is difficult to install and have that end with the balusters look right.

Stairs with a wall on either side are far less problematic. you just cut
the width as needed for a piece for the tread and the nosing, then the
riser.

Norminn

Drew Cutter wrote:
Too high for my blood (45-60.00). Just trying to get the house ready to
sell.

You are looking at fairly major work, a waste in getting a house "ready
to sell". What is on steps now? What condition? What flooring is
above and below the steps?

May be cheaper, easier and adequate to make the house look good if you
just lay down an inexpensive runner.

Drew Cutter

I don't know what the floor is below. Does squeak and floor nail popping
out. If the wood on the house is any indication of what type of job they
did 55 years ago ( new siding put on ). Then the stair need to be looked
at. The Realtor coming out Monday.

Norminn wrote:

Drew Cutter wrote:

Too high for my blood (45-60.00). Just trying to get the house ready
to sell.

You are looking at fairly major work, a waste in getting a house "ready
to sell". What is on steps now? What condition? What flooring is
above and below the steps?

May be cheaper, easier and adequate to make the house look good if you
just lay down an inexpensive runner.

dadiOH

Drew Cutter wrote:
What is the ideal wood for new steps ? For stair going to the second
floor. Looking for the cherry wood look.

Well, in that case, I'd sorta lean toward cherry.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Duane Bozarth

Drew Cutter wrote:

I don't know what the floor is below. Does squeak and floor nail popping
out. If the wood on the house is any indication of what type of job they
did 55 years ago ( new siding put on ). Then the stair need to be looked
at. The Realtor coming out Monday.

What's covering it up now or do you mean you just can't recognize wood
types?

If you're just trying to "fix-up" to sell, probably all that's needed/is
economically justified is to reset any loose nails, maybe shim a step or
two if there's access underneath, and refinish the existing treads...

I'd go with stainless steel or aluminum before I'd try wood.

Matias Silva

Matias Silva wrote:
Drew Cutter wrote:

What is the ideal wood for new steps ? For stair going to the second
floor. Looking for the cherry wood look.

Couldn't you just buy the durable stuff and then cover it
with pergo. One thing with pergo is that it won't scratch
and you have a multidude of stains/colors to choose from.

Matt

hhaha I was reading my own post... and I said "wtf multidude" I meant
multitude... any how I figure you guys caught that too...

Sorry off topic...

Good Luck
Matt