al

Default broken washer

Hello - I have an older washer that has begun leaking water when in
use. It's also making a kind of grinding noise for several seconds when
it first starts spinning but that eventully goes away once it gets
going. Would anyone happen to know what's going on with that, whether
it's a complicated repair or whether it's signaling that its last gasp
is imminent? Thanks in advance... AB

Ken Weitzel

al wrote:

Hello - I have an older washer that has begun leaking water when in
use. It's also making a kind of grinding noise for several seconds when
it first starts spinning but that eventully goes away once it gets
going. Would anyone happen to know what's going on with that, whether
it's a complicated repair or whether it's signaling that its last gasp
is imminent? Thanks in advance... AB

Hi...

Been there; done that. Recently, no less

Can't speak to the leaking water, but the grinding noise
is almost certainly the transmission. And it will get
worse and worse as time goes by.

Transmission isn't repairable (imho), and replacement
even if you could find one not worth it. Start saving
up to replace the machine asap

Ken

Duane Bozarth

Follow-up trimmed...nothing to do w/ electronics here

Ken Weitzel wrote:

Transmission isn't repairable (imho), and replacement
even if you could find one not worth it. Start saving
up to replace the machine asap

Depends on the make/model of the machine and whether there's a good used
appliance supply or handyman-type local to OP...I've had excellent
success swapping a transmission in an older machine that otherwise was
still in excellent shape at much less than cost of new one...

Water leaks are almost always relatively easy to take care of once find
what is actually leaking...

IMO, YMMV, $0.02, etc....

Duane Bozarth

Art wrote:

If the outer tub is leaking the repair can be expensive.

No kidding....

But that isn't the likely place...bottom seal, hose, pump, etc., are
much more common....

James Sweet

"al" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello - I have an older washer that has begun leaking water when in
use. It's also making a kind of grinding noise for several seconds when
it first starts spinning but that eventully goes away once it gets
going. Would anyone happen to know what's going on with that, whether
it's a complicated repair or whether it's signaling that its last gasp
is imminent? Thanks in advance... AB

Best you can do is take it apart and find out where it's leaking and what's
grinding. You didn't post a model number or even a brand so there's not much
anyone can do to help you. There's only a small handfull of different
washers with a whole lot of different brands stamped on them so you can
probably find something mechanically similar on craigslist or a curb
somewhere and get parts from it.

Steve B.

On 22 Mar 2005 08:20:55 -0800, "al" wrote:

Hello - I have an older washer that has begun leaking water when in
use. It's also making a kind of grinding noise for several seconds when
it first starts spinning but that eventully goes away once it gets
going. Would anyone happen to know what's going on with that, whether
it's a complicated repair or whether it's signaling that its last gasp
is imminent? Thanks in advance... AB

Could be as simple as a failing pump. Pull the cover off and see
where the leak is and go from there.

Steve B.
hemyd

"al" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello - I have an older washer that has begun leaking water when in
use. It's also making a kind of grinding noise for several seconds when
it first starts spinning but that eventully goes away once it gets
going. Would anyone happen to know what's going on with that, whether
it's a complicated repair or whether it's signaling that its last gasp
is imminent? Thanks in advance... AB

As a worst case scenarion it is probable that the bowl has rusted, also that
water has penetrated between the main shatft and agitator shaft, causing it
to bind. The bowl may have numerous sensors and outlets, all of which can
develop leaks. Over 25 years I overhauled and old Whirlpool like that
several times, replacing the bowl, shafts and rubber bits, while I could get
cheap parts. It's a fairly big job.

Henry.