Paul Oman

Default Lawn roller on snow??

I was wondering about the idea of using a lawn roller to
pack down snow in my driveway instead of blowing or plowing.
I the old horse and sled days that is how it was done - the
horses pulled these giant wooden rollers to pack the snow
down.

So would a lawn roller work? I don't have one to test.

paul oman

Paul Oman wrote:
I was wondering about the idea of using a lawn roller to
pack down snow in my driveway instead of blowing or plowing.
I the old horse and sled days that is how it was done - the
horses pulled these giant wooden rollers to pack the snow
down.

So would a lawn roller work? I don't have one to test.

It'd work great if you want an ice rink. Pressure will cause the snow
to melt, then refreeze.

Think about what happens when you drive on snow in your driveway.

"It'd work great if you want an ice rink. Pressure will cause the snow

to melt, then refreeze.

Think about what happens when you drive on snow in your driveway. "

Exactly. In fact, about a week ago, we got about 3 inchs of snow,
which would
have been marginal to even bother with here. I checked the forecast
and concluded
that it was more likely to linger for a couple of days, so I got the
blower going.

Jeff Wisnia

Paul Oman wrote:
I was wondering about the idea of using a lawn roller to
pack down snow in my driveway instead of blowing or plowing.
I the old horse and sled days that is how it was done -

Yes, but that made it easier for the sled to slide, if they cleared the
roads down to whatever the "summer surface" was, a sleigh wouldn't slide
very well, would it? G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Norminn

Paul Oman wrote:
I was wondering about the idea of using a lawn roller to
pack down snow in my driveway instead of blowing or plowing.
I the old horse and sled days that is how it was done - the
horses pulled these giant wooden rollers to pack the snow
down.

So would a lawn roller work? I don't have one to test.

paul oman

Are you putting runners on the family car?

Gary Dyrkacz

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:35:33 GMT, Paul Oman
wrote:

I was wondering about the idea of using a lawn roller to
pack down snow in my driveway instead of blowing or plowing.
I the old horse and sled days that is how it was done - the
horses pulled these giant wooden rollers to pack the snow
down.

So would a lawn roller work? I don't have one to test.

Depends if you mindt the car going down the driveway straight or
sideways.

The problem is that once you compress the snow it stands a good
chance of becoming an ice sheet. Unlike snow, with lots of porosity,
the ice will take much longer to melt. Like maybe from one snowstorm
to the next.

paul oman

Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn/
johnny

"Paul Oman" wrote

I was wondering about the idea of using a lawn roller to
pack down snow in my driveway instead of blowing or plowing.
I the old horse and sled days that is how it was done - the
horses pulled these giant wooden rollers to pack the snow
down.

So would a lawn roller work? I don't have one to test.

paul oman

Read this first: http://www.nmha.org/
meirman

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:35:33 GMT Paul Oman
posted:

I was wondering about the idea of using a lawn roller to
pack down snow in my driveway instead of blowing or plowing.
I the old horse and sled days that is how it was done - the
horses pulled these giant wooden rollers to pack the snow

But do you have a horse?

down.

So would a lawn roller work? I don't have one to test.

paul oman

I haven't shovelled a driveway in 40 years ( How I wish I had a
driveway to shovel) but when I had one, it was over 100 feet long. I
just shovelled paths for the tires.

Now, my townhouse neighbors are fanatics. They shovel the full width
of the sidewalk and all the show from around their cars. I think it
is a waste of time. (I don't even shovel behind my car. I madke sure
no one is there, and it's fun gunning the motor and getting out.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

Punch

ROTFL
If we did that, the snow would be over the roof by now.
LOL
LOL
LOL

so what do you do with your snow then? if packing it down would make it
over your roof, then you must have a pile on your lawn twice ( or more) as
high as your roof?

William Brown

I recall from not that many years ago in some rural areas where it stays
cold all winter, such as Montana, that there was more compacting than
plowing, and we just drove on top of the snow. Of course, everyone had
chains on.

Paul Oman wrote:
I was wondering about the idea of using a lawn roller to
pack down snow in my driveway instead of blowing or plowing.
I the old horse and sled days that is how it was done - the
horses pulled these giant wooden rollers to pack the snow
down.

So would a lawn roller work? I don't have one to test.

paul oman

there.
Stormin Mormon

This is your lawn roller.

(image of an egg being cracked into a hot frying pan)

This is your lawn roller on snow.

Any questions?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Paul Oman" wrote in message

I was wondering about the idea of using a lawn roller to
pack down snow in my driveway instead of blowing or plowing.
I the old horse and sled days that is how it was done - the
horses pulled these giant wooden rollers to pack the snow
down.

So would a lawn roller work? I don't have one to test.

paul oman

Sure it'll work, just get the ice skates ready after the first freeze.
At least you'll have a nice place to play hockey.

blueman

Paul Oman writes:
I was wondering about the idea of using a lawn roller to
pack down snow in my driveway instead of blowing or plowing.
I the old horse and sled days that is how it was done - the
horses pulled these giant wooden rollers to pack the snow
down.

So would a lawn roller work? I don't have one to test.

That is because int the old "horse and sled days" they used sleds
which by custom have skis and not wheels -- so compacting the
snow made a good sledding surface. In fact, today's ski slopes use the same
concept except that the roller is huge and pulled by a tractor like
machine rather than horses.

If you plan on navigating town by ski or snowmobile, then I would
recommend rolling over ploughing or snow blowing. If you plan on using
wheels, then removing the snow seems more prudent.

CONCRETE LAWN ROLLER J T Woodworking 1 February 11th 05 06:16 AM
Snow storms hit USA Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 January 10th 05 04:08 PM
Can my Craftsman 15.5 hp, 42 in. Deck Lawn Tractor use Craftsman 42 in. Deluxe Lawn Tractor Snow Thrower B52 Home Ownership 1 January 14th 04 04:31 PM
Advantage: Lawn Vac vs. Mower? Steve Home Repair 5 November 9th 03 05:30 PM
Renovating lawn Kyle Boatright Home Repair 7 August 7th 03 07:34 PM