Default Basic footer question

Hi,

I hope this isn't too dumb, but...

I am planning a concrete pad for a BBQ adjacent to my existing patio.
In the books I have read, most show the requirement of a footer under
the pad's perimeter. The pad will be roughly 9 feet by 28 inches.

So, my question is, if the total weight of the installation is, say
1,500 pounds, and I live in an area that has clay soil and no freezing,

is it possible just to pour a thicker slab, say 8" with rebar and no
footer, or is it necessary to dig down around the perimeter?

Thanks in advance.