DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Basic footer question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/94390-basic-footer-question.html)

[email protected] March 9th 05 03:21 AM

Basic footer question

Hi,

I hope this isn't too dumb, but...

I am planning a concrete pad for a BBQ adjacent to my existing patio.
In the books I have read, most show the requirement of a footer under
the pad's perimeter. The pad will be roughly 9 feet by 28 inches.

So, my question is, if the total weight of the installation is, say
1,500 pounds, and I live in an area that has clay soil and no freezing,

is it possible just to pour a thicker slab, say 8" with rebar and no
footer, or is it necessary to dig down around the perimeter?

Thanks in advance.

manhattan42 March 9th 05 01:29 PM

Wrote:
Hi,

I hope this isn't too dumb, but...

I am planning a concrete pad for a BBQ adjacent to my existing patio.
In the books I have read, most show the requirement of a footer under
the pad's perimeter. The pad will be roughly 9 feet by 28 inches.

So, my question is, if the total weight of the installation is, say
1,500 pounds, and I live in an area that has clay soil and no
freezing,

is it possible just to pour a thicker slab, say 8" with rebar and no
footer, or is it necessary to dig down around the perimeter?

Thanks in advance.

Patio slabs require no footer.
Footers are only required when there will be a structure built over the
slab and the footer is needed to transfer the weight of the structure to
the surrounding soil.
What you are producing is simply a 'sidewalk' that requires no
reinforcing bar, no footer, and can be 4" thick.

--
manhattan42
manhattan42's Profile: