Joe S

Default Tile Core Bit for Marble and Travertine?

I need to make some lav faucet holes in new marble, and shower
accessory holes in new travertine.

I see a $65 Tile Core Bit at Lowe's. Is this the proper tool, or is
there something else I should be using?

Obviously the holes will be covered by their respective trim pieces, so
they don't have to be super pretty...I just don't want to use something
that will break or otherwise mess up the material.

Joe

Charles Spitzer

"Joe S" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to make some lav faucet holes in new marble, and shower
accessory holes in new travertine.

I see a $65 Tile Core Bit at Lowe's. Is this the proper tool, or is
there something else I should be using?

Obviously the holes will be covered by their respective trim pieces, so
they don't have to be super pretty...I just don't want to use something
that will break or otherwise mess up the material.

Joe

i don't know what that is, but you need a diamond bit. it works best when
done underwater. it will burn up quickly if not. you can make a dam using
plumbers putty to contain the water. don't apply constant pressure. use for
a few seconds, left, drill, etc.

Joe S

Charles Spitzer wrote:
"Joe S" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to make some lav faucet holes in new marble, and shower
accessory holes in new travertine.

I see a $65 Tile Core Bit at Lowe's. Is this the proper tool, or is
there something else I should be using?

Obviously the holes will be covered by their respective trim

pieces, so
they don't have to be super pretty...I just don't want to use

something
that will break or otherwise mess up the material.

Joe

i don't know what that is, but you need a diamond bit. it works best

when
done underwater. it will burn up quickly if not. you can make a dam

using
plumbers putty to contain the water. don't apply constant pressure.

use for
a few seconds, left, drill, etc.

Like this...35mm should be 1 3/8"

http://www.khue.com/dept/tool/dbits.htm

Since I'll need it before a mail-order item could arrive, I'll probably
end up with the $65 item....still alot cheaper than paying someone to
cut all the holes for me.

Thanks for the usage tip!

Joe

Charles Spitzer

"Joe S" wrote in message
ups.com...

Charles Spitzer wrote:
"Joe S" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

yes. the cooler it runs, the longer it will last. you want to ensure you get
water into the inner part of the core. they have center water feed drill
chucks for these in industry. i've seen them cheaper on ebay, maybe $25.
add a little antifreeze to the water.

big ones like these are best used in a drill press. any sideways motion of
the drill may cause it to bind. i use a tripod drill press for these types
of things. it can be done by hand, but it's really hard to do so, although
granite is easier to drill than glass without breakage (bit or material).

dadiOH

Joe S wrote:
I need to make some lav faucet holes in new marble, and shower
accessory holes in new travertine.

I see a $65 Tile Core Bit at Lowe's. Is this the proper tool, or is
there something else I should be using?

Obviously the holes will be covered by their respective trim pieces,
so they don't have to be super pretty...I just don't want to use
something that will break or otherwise mess up the material.

Marble/travertine is very soft. You can cut it with anything that would
cut aluminum, probably wood...drill bit, saber saw, router. I sure
wouldn't pay $65 to cut a few holes in it but I *would* check on a scrap
piece to see how much chipping there is. Worse case would be to drill a
ring of small holes and knock out the center.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Joe S

dadiOH wrote:
Joe S wrote:

I need to make some lav faucet holes in new marble, and shower
accessory holes in new travertine.

I see a $65 Tile Core Bit at Lowe's. Is this the proper tool, or is
there something else I should be using?

Obviously the holes will be covered by their respective trim pieces,
so they don't have to be super pretty...I just don't want to use
something that will break or otherwise mess up the material.

Marble/travertine is very soft. You can cut it with anything that would
cut aluminum, probably wood...drill bit, saber saw, router. I sure
wouldn't pay $65 to cut a few holes in it but I *would* check on a scrap
piece to see how much chipping there is. Worse case would be to drill a
ring of small holes and knock out the center.

Thanks...I'll try some experiments first. I have lots of travertine
scrap, but not much excess marble.

--
Joe