Say_what

Default garage door conversion

I currently have a detached garage with two-garage door. I was
wondering what it would take to convert from a two-door system to a
single larger door. Has anyone ever attempted that? Just wonder what
it would entail.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Say_what" wrote in message
oups.com...
I currently have a detached garage with two-garage door. I was
wondering what it would take to convert from a two-door system to a
single larger door. Has anyone ever attempted that? Just wonder what
it would entail.

Depends on the structure. If the center post is supporting, you'd have to
do something to take the load. With enough time and money, it can be done.
Whether or not it is practical, is another story. Talk to someone that can
determine the structural viability.

G. Morgan

Subject: garage door conversion
Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= Say_what = wrote:

I currently have a detached garage with two-garage door. I was
wondering what it would take to convert from a two-door system to a
single larger door. Has anyone ever attempted that? Just wonder what
it would entail.

I've done it for clients. What you do is put a 17' door in there instead or a
standard 16'. You'll need to reinforce the header. The easiest way is to lag a
1/2 thick , 17' wide 12' high, steel beam across the existing headers.

--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email

Bob G

On 5 Mar 2005 19:37:08 -0800, "Say_what"
wrote:

I currently have a detached garage with two-garage door. I was
wondering what it would take to convert from a two-door system to a
single larger door. Has anyone ever attempted that? Just wonder what
it would entail.

=====================================
As others have said its all about weight support....I converted the
other direction from an 18 foot door down to a pair or 8 1/2 doors....

That made installing a lift in my one garage doable...since I could
have a car up on he lift with a door open... have since installed
roll up doors like those seen on loading docks ...

At one time I did have a fiberglass 18 foot door on that garage and
high winds could (and did) suck it out more then once...The fiberglass
was just too light...when replaced with a normal wood door I had no
problems...now I have 2 roll up doors out there however..

Bob Griffiths
Rich

Say_what wrote:
I currently have a detached garage with two-garage door. I was
wondering what it would take to convert from a two-door system to a
single larger door. Has anyone ever attempted that? Just wonder

what
it would entail.

Depending upon the span of the opening it will simply entail removing
the center post and installing an adequate lintel that would be
approved by your local building officials. Then installing the
appropriate door.

Rich
http://www.garage-door-hardware.com