The Chairman

Default Eliminating cat urine smell from under the house

We have had a problem with stray cats living in the crawlspace underneath
our house. I recently bought/made screens for all the vents and access
holes, so the cats being under there isn't a problem anymore.

However, the smell of them is still there. Very, very smelly
urine/spray/whatever smell. I am going to crawl under there tomorrow and
apply some sort of treatment, but my question is: what is best? I was
thinking of using baking soda, but I don't know if there is something else
that might be more effective.

Anyone have any tips?

Thanks,

Ryan
Bonnie Jean

"The Chairman" wrote in message
.130...

urine/spray/whatever smell. I am going to crawl under there tomorrow and
apply some sort of treatment, but my question is: what is best? I was
thinking of using baking soda, but I don't know if there is something else
that might be more effective.
__________
Ryan, baking soda isn't going to touch it. You need a deodorizer similar to
"Nature's Miracle" which you can get in a place like Petsmart. There are
many products like this
http://tinyurl.com/433gh
http://tinyurl.com/6hbds
http://tinyurl.com/687h5
But this stuff needs to come in contact with the old urine.
Good Luck
Bonnie

John Harlow

However, the smell of them is still there. Very, very smelly
urine/spray/whatever smell. I

A cat crawled under our house some weeks go and took a ****. Smelled up the
entire house. Fortunately it ****ed on the plastic vapor barrier. I found
it, tore out that small area and threw it away. Problem instantly solved.

I'd see if it did the same for you. If it peed on the dirt, I'd dig out as
much as it took to get rid of the smell.

Batman

Best way to get rid of cat urine odor is to get rid of the cats!!
The Real Tom

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 07:06:03 GMT, The Chairman
wrote:

We have had a problem with stray cats living in the crawlspace underneath
our house. I recently bought/made screens for all the vents and access
holes, so the cats being under there isn't a problem anymore.

However, the smell of them is still there. Very, very smelly
urine/spray/whatever smell. I am going to crawl under there tomorrow and
apply some sort of treatment, but my question is: what is best? I was
thinking of using baking soda, but I don't know if there is something else
that might be more effective.

Anyone have any tips?

Thanks,

Ryan

imho:

Baking soda, tries to absorb it, but it's still there.
Soaps try washing it away, in this situation, away where? Deep into
the soil.

You need to break it down, decompose it. My story, I had adopted a
cat from a shelter, he didn't like my other cat, so he refused to use
the litter box. He used a corner in my house. Cat was returned, with
advice to adopt him out as a single cat/house type and then I started
cleaning. All 'pet soil' cleaning products only tried to cover the
smell. Then I read you need to break down the urine itself eliminate
the smell. I went to petsmart and picked up an enzime solution,
"simple solution" a gallon of it, and after following the direction,
the smell was gone in a week.

You only need to introduce it to the area, if it's a moise soil under
your porch, the enzines producing bacteria should reproduce quickly
and work on elimnating the smell. It's possible bacteria is working
now, but with the product you can speed up the process.

hth,

tom @ www.Love-Calculators.com

Clark Griswold

Bleach will kill the smell. Then splash polyurethane on the wood to seal
whatever is stench is left. Worked for me.

Steve Manes

wrote:
We have had a problem with stray cats living in the crawlspace underneath
our house. I recently bought/made screens for all the vents and access
holes, so the cats being under there isn't a problem anymore.

However, the smell of them is still there. Very, very smelly
urine/spray/whatever smell. I am going to crawl under there tomorrow and
apply some sort of treatment, but my question is: what is best? I was
thinking of using baking soda, but I don't know if there is something else
that might be more effective.

Anyone have any tips?

Funny you should mention it. I just, as in a few days ago, finished
building the backend and ecommerce for this web site:

www.zeroodorpet.com

It was a hellish eleven days to meet their media drop date.

I've never actually used this stuff although I certainly got a chance
to read about it and ask folks inside the company about it. They say
the claims are for real. The site designer has a dog and told me that
Zero Odor works great... much better than Nature's Miracle, which I've
used myself with mixed results at best.

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house/bbs
Melissa

You can buy odor digester stuff from janitorial supply places cheaper than
from pet stores usually. I use Liquid Alive odor digester. Hubby uses it
in his rental homes on the carpets. I use it for the carpets and mattresses
when the kids have been throwing up and missed the bucket, also when they
were little and had accidents in the middle of the night. It's also great
to add a splash to your laundry if you washed it then forgot it was in the
washer for too long. Cat pee is harder than most odors to get rid of, might
take more than one treatment if they were using the same spot over and over
again. You need to keep the area damp with odor digester (whatever brand
you choose) until the odor is gone. If you have or can borrow a black
light, cat urine will glow when hit with the light (when it's dark outside
of course) so you can find the spots that need treatment.
http://www.pet-odor.com/

--
Melissa
Please remove (yourshoes) to reply by email
wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Melissa, jay Chrisman wrote:
toss lime in crawl space. spread it all around, lime breaks down the bacteria
and kills the smell. if it will work to kill the stench of pig poop it
should do wonders for cat urine. plus its cheap...get it at any tractor
supply, rural king or other farm supply store.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ouse-3486-.htm