jj3000

Default GFCI and downstream receptacles

My 1983 house had only one GFCI receptacle, in the garage.

I first bought 3 more GFCIs to install in the backyard and the
bathroom, but I found that GFCI in the garage is the first receptacle
after a breaker and it is protecting the bath and backyard also (on
the same breaker).

So it seems I don't need to install extra GFCI receptacles. Or is
there still additional benefits to have GFCIs downstream?

Another concern is that the receptacle looks old is there any benefit
to replace it with one that is sold today? It's got no LED status or
anything; but the test button and reset works fine.

My other gripe tho is that it is on the front wall of the garage which
I'll be putting some cabinets over it soon, I guess I will have to cut
a hole incase I need to reset it in the future.
RBM

As electrical codes changed, electricians found clever ways to meet them and
save money. In your case, If your shower caused the thing to trip, you have
to run down into the garage to reset it. Not very practical. The early
models did false trip often. I'd recommend changing all the outlets in the
affected areas with new Gucci's. Just be sure to pigtail your wires, so
you're not running loads off of the downstream terminals of the receptacles
"jj3000" wrote in message
om...
My 1983 house had only one GFCI receptacle, in the garage.

I first bought 3 more GFCIs to install in the backyard and the
bathroom, but I found that GFCI in the garage is the first receptacle
after a breaker and it is protecting the bath and backyard also (on
the same breaker).

So it seems I don't need to install extra GFCI receptacles. Or is
there still additional benefits to have GFCIs downstream?

Another concern is that the receptacle looks old is there any benefit
to replace it with one that is sold today? It's got no LED status or
anything; but the test button and reset works fine.

My other gripe tho is that it is on the front wall of the garage which
I'll be putting some cabinets over it soon, I guess I will have to cut
a hole incase I need to reset it in the future.

Jag Man

The instruction sheet that comes with the Leviton GFCI receptical
shows
downstream loads daisy-chained off the Load connection points on the
back.
There is also provision for an extra connection off the Line
connection point
on the device. I believe using the latter is equivalent to what you
call
pigtailing. I called Leviton tech support and was told that one can do
both.
I did this when I wanted two bathroom outlets, both GF protected. I
did
not want all the outlets daisychained off the existing bathroom outlet
be riding off the bathroom GFCI because a trip would be hard to trace.
So, I tapped off the Load points for the second bathroom outlet, and
off the Line point for reconnecting the existing downstream outlets.

That said, I'm not an electrician, so take this for what it's
worth....

Ed

"RBM" rmottola1(remove wrote in message
As electrical codes changed, electricians found clever ways to meet

them and
save money. In your case, If your shower caused the thing to trip,

you have
to run down into the garage to reset it. Not very practical. The

early
models did false trip often. I'd recommend changing all the outlets

in the
affected areas with new Gucci's. Just be sure to pigtail your wires,

so
you're not running loads off of the downstream terminals of the

receptacles

RBM

That was my point exactly, when the device trips, you want it to be the
outlet you're standing in front of and not the one in another room. I do
recommend pigtailing the wires under a wire nut rather than depending on the
clamp screws of the receptacle, this way, if you have a loose connection on
the outlet, it only affects that outlet and nothing downstream
"Jag Man" wrote in message
m...
[...]

The Real Tom

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 20:07:04 -0500, "RBM" rmottola1(remove
wrote:

That was my point exactly, when the device trips, you want it to be the
outlet you're standing in front of and not the one in another room. I do
recommend pigtailing the wires under a wire nut rather than depending on the
clamp screws of the receptacle, this way, if you have a loose connection on
the outlet, it only affects that outlet and nothing downstream

Another recommendation that I do when daisey chaining a few gfci load
side outlets, I use a gfci trip tester. Right now I have the little
diagnotisc let plug, with a trip button. This way I can ensure I
properly wired the downstreem receptacles, and they cause the upstream
gfci to trip when needed.

later,

tom @ www.BookmarkAdmin.com

om...