sligo

Default teflon tape color

I know yellow is used for gas and white for plumbing.
Is there any real difference between the two tapes?
Seamus J. Wilson

Andy Hill

"sligo" wrote:
I know yellow is used for gas and white for plumbing.
Is there any real difference between the two tapes?
Seamus J. Wilson

The yellow stuff is thicker and less likely to have pieces break off to clog
orifices.
Travis Jordan

sligo wrote:
I know yellow is used for gas and white for plumbing.

Your browser won't work with search engines?

White - industrial; Yellow - Gas; Pink - Water;
Green - Oxygen; Gray - Steel

Travis Jordan

Andy Hill wrote:
"sligo" wrote:
I know yellow is used for gas and white for plumbing.
Is there any real difference between the two tapes?
Seamus J. Wilson

The yellow stuff is thicker and less likely to have pieces break off
to clog orifices.

Not necessarily. PTFE high-density tapes come in a number of colors,
and can be all the same thickness.

John B

I paid a high price for the yellow stuff, for fixing gas lines. This tape
is thicker than the white I use for water plumbing.

I have not "googled" this or done any other search. I am thinking that gas
plumbing, being subjected to lower pressure than water plumbing, is not
tightened as much. Hence the thicker tape. Conversely, one would not want
thick tape on threads that must be tightened strongly.

"sligo" wrote in message
I know yellow is used for gas and white for plumbing.
Is there any real difference between the two tapes?
Seamus J. Wilson

toller

"John B" wrote in message
I paid a high price for the yellow stuff, for fixing gas lines. This tape
is thicker than the white I use for water plumbing.

I have not "googled" this or done any other search. I am thinking that
gas
plumbing, being subjected to lower pressure than water plumbing, is not
tightened as much. Hence the thicker tape. Conversely, one would not
want
thick tape on threads that must be tightened strongly.

Gas attacks teflon tape, or at least an additive does. The yellow tape is
denser and resists the attack.

I have used yellow on water without any problems, just because it happened
to be what I found first.

bumtracks

Less than half the Teflon-coated pans sold in China meet the government's
quality standards, and poor-quality products would be more likely to release
harmful chemicals during cooking at high temperatures, the state-run New
Beijing Post reported.

There's a lot of unmarked/unlabeled teflon tape floating around from
china. .

John B

"bumtracks" wrote
Less than half the Teflon-coated pans sold in China meet the government's
quality standards, and poor-quality products would be more likely to

release
harmful chemicals during cooking at high temperatures, the state-run New
Beijing Post reported.

What "government standards"? Anybody who cooks on Chinese teflon, or puts
his food on those beautifully painted Chinese pottery is trusting his health
to "the wind." Then, again, some folks go to drug pushers, the most
scrupulous people on earth, and injest, inject, snort, or inhale
god-knows-what from god-knows-where. And let's not forget the ubiquitous
spam what wants us to ingest sexual potency drugs...or ANYthing at all, from
god-knows-who.

There's a lot of unmarked/unlabeled teflon tape floating around from
china. .

The release of chemicals into my gas flame is of no concern to me. The
release of chemicals into the food I might eat concerns me.

Travis Jordan

habbi wrote:
I have pink made for petroleum use.

Normally pink is used to designate a thicker (.004) tape for plumbing
use. I didn't know it was also used to designate petroleum use.

Andy Hill

"Travis Jordan" wrote:
Andy Hill wrote:
"sligo" wrote:
I know yellow is used for gas and white for plumbing.
Is there any real difference between the two tapes?
Seamus J. Wilson

The yellow stuff is thicker and less likely to have pieces break off
to clog orifices.

Not necessarily. PTFE high-density tapes come in a number of colors,
and can be all the same thickness.

Well, yeah, the high-density (unstretched) stuff can be different colors
(including unpigmented), but I'm relatively sure that if it's pigmented yellow
it's going to be the high-density gas-rated tape (the whole point of the
pigmentation is to make it easy to for the inspector -- a low-density yellow
tape would kind of negate that reason).

I sort've interpreted the question to be at the "Home Depot" level, and most
unpigmented teflon tape I've run into there has been the stretched stuff that
shreds if you look at it cross-eyed.
Andy Hill

"Travis Jordan" wrote:
habbi wrote:
I have pink made for petroleum use.

Normally pink is used to designate a thicker (.004) tape for plumbing
use. I didn't know it was also used to designate petroleum use.

Yeah, I've always seen red / pink designated for plumbing. Once you get to
thicker and/or denser, I thought the only difference was the type of or lack of
lubricant on the surface of the tape (which, AFAIK, is 100% teflon except for
the pigmentation). Doesn't seem like it'd really matter for petroleum use...a
few ppm of contaminants from the tape lube shouldn't be an issue.