Bigaxe1039

Default Replacing basement windows

I have a 40ish year old ranch house in northern Illinois and I want to
replace the basement windows. They are the original, single pane metal
framed windows. I want something that is more energy efficient. I do not
want glass block. They are all in window wells and I think im going to get a
secure metal grate on top of the window well that can be opened from the
inside only so does anyone have any recommendations on which brands they
have had good luck, or success with? Thanks.

Kim

There is a type of clear glass that is hard to break even with a hammer and
has better energy efficiency by far than the low e double pane windows.
Couple of the sunroom manufactures has it and at least one window
manufacture.

I used lexan in the past - great stuff, unbreakable (you could drill or cut
it with a saw) but it yellows with age.