Default Outdoor BBQ project

Hi,

Now that the weather is getting better, my thoughts are turning to the
great outdoors. Next on the list is an outdoor BBQ. I want to install
a 48" grill with a 2 burner cooktop. The plan is to build an island
rougly 10 feet long that would have counter space on wither side of the
grill and burners.

I am thinking along the lines of building a frame out of steel studs
and attaching 1/2" wonderboard to that. Fireproof and lightweight
(compared to masonry). Then what I am envisioning are stucco sides and
tile or stone counter tops.

With respect to the stucco sides, what is the preferred (best) way to
make sure that the stucco stays put on the wonderboard?

Thanks for the help.

Matt

Gates BBQ Sauce is the best. I don't know if it's nationally available,
but they probably have a website you can order from. I think they are
in Kansas City.

SQLit

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Now that the weather is getting better, my thoughts are turning to the
great outdoors. Next on the list is an outdoor BBQ. I want to install
a 48" grill with a 2 burner cooktop. The plan is to build an island
rougly 10 feet long that would have counter space on wither side of the
grill and burners.

I am thinking along the lines of building a frame out of steel studs
and attaching 1/2" wonderboard to that. Fireproof and lightweight
(compared to masonry). Then what I am envisioning are stucco sides and
tile or stone counter tops.

With respect to the stucco sides, what is the preferred (best) way to
make sure that the stucco stays put on the wonderboard?

Thanks for the help.

Same basic design that I have. Except that I am only going to use wonder
board under the tile and exterior grade osb for the vertical walls.
Over the ply/osb wood I am planning on using metal lath stapled up. It will
be almost like my home with at least 2 coats of stucco. God forbid I need to
move this when it is done.

SteveB

"SQLit" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Was considering the same project, as I could do it in metal studs,
wonderboard, tile, etc, and own it for about a tenth of what they want at
the bbq specialty store. Then I got a new Vermont Castings grill,
ostensibly to use for a bit, then take the main part and mount into this
MONGO cabinet/island/continent thing I was planning on building. Now, FOR
MY PATIO, I am considering making a smaller unit, and using casters so I can
move it around, use it when I need it, and put it out of the way the rest of
the time.

Anyway you go, though, if you can do stuff like this, it sure beats the
spendy stuff you see at those bbq supply stores. I just go there for ideas.
If they get pushy, I just say, "Oh, I can build this for a LOT less, I'm
just shopping for ideas."

Consider if you want to look at this island/continent on your patio for 20
years.

Steve

SQLit,

I initially thought about exterior grade something, but I wanted to
make sure it was 100% fireproof being that close to a big hot grill. I
found the Quikrete website and it has a very good DIY section, complete
with stucco instructions. The problem is how to securely attach the
mesh to the wonderboard. It seems to me that applying the stucco
directly over the Wonderboard would be very similar to applying stucco
over existing masonry and thus no mesh would be required.

I think more research is required.

Ross Mac

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gates BBQ Sauce is the best. I don't know if it's nationally available,
but they probably have a website you can order from. I think they are
in Kansas City.

My latest favorite is Jacks BBQ sauce from Jacks in Clermont, FL....Luckily
it is just 2 miles from me!!! I smeared it all over a pulled pork sandwich
today and slopped it down...now that paints a pretty picture doesn't
it......take care folks, Ross

Here is the answer, straight from Quikrete:

"Thank you, for visiting The QUIKRETE Companies web site. Quikrete
products
like the Quik Wall Surface Bonding Cement can be applied to
wonderboard. You
will not need a mesh. "

Robert

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Now that the weather is getting better, my thoughts are turning to the
great outdoors. Next on the list is an outdoor BBQ. I want to install
a 48" grill with a 2 burner cooktop. The plan is to build an island
rougly 10 feet long that would have counter space on wither side of the
grill and burners.

I am thinking along the lines of building a frame out of steel studs
and attaching 1/2" wonderboard to that. Fireproof and lightweight
(compared to masonry). Then what I am envisioning are stucco sides and
tile or stone counter tops.

With respect to the stucco sides, what is the preferred (best) way to
make sure that the stucco stays put on the wonderboard?

Thanks for the help.

I would avoid tile on the top. The first time you spill bbq sauce or the
like on it, you will be disappointed with the stains in the grout. Very hard
to keep clean.

Rob

SteveB

"Robert" wrote in message
m...

wrote in message
[...]

Getting bbq sauce on your pretty grout? Isn't that what it's for? I would
just start out with dark grout if I was worried about that. The thing is
going to be outside with rain, bird doodoo, dust, and whatever. A little
barbecue sauce will just add a little character to it.

This is one of the great things about doing it yourself. Build it so that
it is easy to change the tile. Then just change it as you want. Change the
color, the texture, whatever. A simple deal.

Steve

Dee

Seal the grout well. Then, just in case, match your grout to your favorite
brand of barbeque sauce. (nyuk nyuk)

I've been thinking about an outdoor grill/cook area, too. Don't know where
to put it though. I'd like it close to the back door, but I guess it can't
be TOO close. I'd also like it in red brick to match the house (and the
barbeque sauce). Will be looking for more responses to this post so I can
get some advice, too.

SteveB

"Dee" wrote in message
Seal the grout well. Then, just in case, match your grout to your favorite
brand of barbeque sauce. (nyuk nyuk)

I've been thinking about an outdoor grill/cook area, too. Don't know where
to put it though. I'd like it close to the back door, but I guess it can't
be TOO close. I'd also like it in red brick to match the house (and the
barbeque sauce). Will be looking for more responses to this post so I can
get some advice, too.

Go to your local barbecue and pool and patio stores. In our area (Las
Vegas) they have several made up inside the store. You can also go to home
improvement, pool and patio, spa, and outdoors shows put on by merchants in
your area.

Just go for ideas, and you will get plenty. Lots of things that you
wouldn't think of on your own.

Then take those ideas and build them. Steel studs are simple. Wonderboard
and plywood are very forgiving. And if it doesn't fit together that tight,
just use extra grout in the corners. Tile covers up a multitude of
mistakes.

It's an outdoor counter. It don't have to be perfect. Nice is nice, but it
isn't rocket surgery, and nothing is really dependent on it for safety. Get
your gas lines right, and your connections proper. Make it solid. But
other than that, eveything including mistakes gets covered up with
tile/stucco/paneling/whatever.

Makes me want to go out and start on mine.

Steve